Jump to content

IGNORED

paint color for brake lines


Recommended Posts

The hardlines? IIRC they are were not painted, I think they should be yellow plated, painted would look wrong. To me it would showcase too much haste in painting the chassis.
 

The painters on our house did that, the window trim on the patio is not painted white, it looks wrong everyone I see it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know for the early z's but later 70's datsuns had olive green brakelines for sure!  Last year i restored a 280zx (1979) and it has still the original olive green brakelines

Here a pic taken from the internet (from this site!) 😊

De bronafbeelding bekijken

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dutchzcarguy said:

don't know for the early z's but later 70's datsuns had olive green brakelines for sure!

Mart,

I am leaning toward the Japanese Imperial Army green as being the correct color. None of the several Z cars I have owned and / or dismantled over the years has shown evidence of yellow zinc or cadmium plating.

The color is the same as the seat slider mechanisms. I've never seen or heard a definitively sourced statement as to what is actually correct.

@kats may be able to inform us

Link to post
Share on other sites

There were no traces of green paint on any of my lines when I stripped my car some years ago, but there was lots of evidence of yellow plating as it was flaking off.

We are very fortunate to have an excellent plating company in my area and they have the large tanks to accommodate long lines without bending. Several buddies currently doing restos have had their lines replated with outstanding results and they handle all the smaller items for my hobby business.

I was on a strict budget for my restomod years ago, no allowance for getting the lines plated. I thoroughly stripped them and painted in metallic silver topped with clear. - it worked out pretty well. Everything is still fresh and bright 10 years later.

02.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @grannyknot and @jfa.series1 that the brake tubes originally were yellow cad or zinc plated. Here is a picture of one of the original tubes that I have recently removed from my 7/70 car. They were covered with under coating and as I scrape it off there is lots of evidence of yellow colored plating.

20200525_162633_HDR.jpg

 

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

I don't know for the early z's but later 70's datsuns had olive green brakelines for sure!  Last year i restored a 280zx (1979) and it has still the original olive green brakelines

Here a pic taken from the internet (from this site!) 😊

De bronafbeelding bekijken

I thought that looked familiar, I recognized my outdoor work bench.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

On the stripping/cleaning aspect, what is the most efficient way to clean them up in preparation for plating/painting?  I did my fuel rail with scotchbright pads and it took FOREVER!  I’d like to do something with mine while the engine is out but that level of tedium hurts my head. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Trnelson said:

On the stripping/cleaning aspect, what is the most efficient way to clean them up in preparation for plating/painting?  I did my fuel rail with scotchbright pads and it took FOREVER!  I’d like to do something with mine while the engine is out but that level of tedium hurts my head. 

Some plating companies will do everything for you, clean, buff and plate but it's a much safer bet to prep everything before you send it to them for plating. The plating layer is very thin and hides nothing so for the best results clean and buff your pieces before you send them.  A bench mounted wire wheel makes fast work of everything except for the heaviest rust.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Zup said:

Japanese Imperial Army green

Yeah, what i meant to say was it's LIKE a sort of olive green.. Not specific the olive green.. (and at the end what IS olive green...?  british racing green is  a good example i think.. also a color that has a lot of different shades.. one is lighter or darker than the other.. I've seen different brands of cars with all different colors of British racing green.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Not saying that the lines weren't gold colored, but I sourced this part in the early 90's from the dealer and it has whatever green coating that the later cars have.  I find that of interest.  Not sure why they switched to this treatment.  Part is for Z's up to 9/71:

46241-E4601

IMG_20210131_124341.jpg

IMG_20210131_124352.jpg

IMG_20210131_124410.jpg

Edited by inline6
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, inline6 said:

Not saying that the lines weren't gold colored, but I sourced this part in the early 90's from the dealer and it has whatever green coating that the later cars have.  I find that of interest.  Not sure why they switched to this treatment.  Part is for Z's up to 9/71:

46241-E4601

IMG_20210131_124341.jpg

IMG_20210131_124352.jpg

IMG_20210131_124410.jpg

I think this is another great example of the difference of parts used in the factory assembly and replacement parts sent to the dealers. We know the air filter boxes used on the assembly line were a bright red-orange while those going to parts departments were light blue.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.