IGNORED

Why this forum is unique

Av8ferg

11 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Ford has its own group-think thing going on.  Their brand loyalty has people spending big money even when they know the model they're buying has major problems.  Pretty incredible.

Name me a brand that doesn't have major problems?

Ford, Chev, Nissan, they all have pros and cons, none of them seem to be any better than the other.  I only stick with Ford trucks because I know their quirks, for me replacing a coil once a year is a minor inconvenience on a truck that otherwise is reliable.

I’ve always felt Toyota was king when it comes to reliability. They’re not the most inspiring cars but they just work. I had a 1988 4x4 Toyota pickup and that truck couldn’t be killed. Flipped in on I-95 in the blizzard of 1995 and the wrecker came, pulled it back over and put a quart of oil on and said , I quote: “it’s a Toyota, go put another 100k on it and call me in the 10 yrs”. I sold it 10 hrs later with about 300k on it for $2200 and only paid $6500 when I got it used in 1990. Should have never sold it!
Of the cars I’ve owned I have 2 sell regrets selling.
1. 1988 Toyota 4x4
2. 1993 Mazda RX-7

ZH, looks like the Fords are running In the middle of the pack (see pic) . Their full size trucks are pretty reliable so this probably reflect some of the crappy cars they’ve made. They’ve refined that truck design so the F-150 is likely one of the best, most dependable trucks out there. I recently bought a 2021 Chevy Suburban ..to drag the growing family, dogs around and crap . It’s the first American car I ever bought . I hope I don’t regret it.

cacb63603e5bb60294a5c1d7deded7de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our other car is a 2001 chevy suburban. 205k miles, never had the MIL come on, never changed the trans fluid, Only issue is a fuel gauge indicator that kinda works, you just have  to know that at 1/4 tank indicated you are really on fumes in the tank. Its really been quite reliable, and it looks like new. Its got a slight bumping noise in the suspension that is hard to track down, but drives great.

I think it living in a garage for 21 years when not driving is the reason it looks practically new, as far as why it has never had an issue (opps well it did need a rear main seal at about 150k) maybe it was one of those trucks made on a good day at the factory. IIRC is still has its orig brakes (tires have been replaced a few times). the brakes are due to the way we drive, brake can last for a very long time if you time lights and drive in a way that tries to save gas.

With all the sunshine on this forum, perhaps a "your other ride" section would be in order...

19 hours ago, gundee said:

I usually found in the past that Hybrid Z and Zcar.com had a few A-Holes like that Viper forum and others.

Mainly why many people quit those 2 sites as I myself did. Hopefully they are better now.

I think a lot just went to FB.

I can assure you that at present, A-hole behavior of any type on Zcar.com is stepped on immediately. I have no patience with it. I delete it if appropriate, and the Ban button works just fine. 

One of the distressing parts of online behavior is that when someone isn't face to face with you, too many people let their keyboard override their common sense. I don't put up with that well. 

6 hours ago, foosman said:

This is a nice forum - reminds me of the IZCC email list way back when.

When the IZCC list lost its original server home at Harvard, I worked with Carl Beck and found a new home for it at Texas A&M. (Maybe around 1988 or so?) I've been involved in the online presence of Z-cars for a while. I agree, IZCC was a very nice group that played well together.

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

I can assure you that at present, A-hole behavior of any type on Zcar.com is stepped on immediately. I have no patience with it. I delete it if appropriate, and the Ban button works just fine. 

One of the distressing parts of online behavior is that when someone isn't face to face with you, too many people let their keyboard override their common sense. I don't put up with that well. 

When the IZCC list lost its original server home at Harvard, I worked with Carl Beck and found a new home for it at Texas A&M. (Maybe around 1988 or so?) I've been involved in the online presence of Z-cars for a while. I agree, IZCC was a very nice group that played well together.

I think the move to Texas A&M was in the late 1990s? I joined up in the early 1990s when John DeArmond was hosting it on his dixie.com domain, IIRC.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 4:39 PM, gundee said:

I usually found in the past that Hybrid Z and Zcar.com had a few A-Holes like that Viper forum and others.

Mainly why many people quit those 2 sites as I myself did. Hopefully they are better now.

I think a lot just went to FB.

HybridZ is very different now, polite even.  Once TonyD stopped posting things changed quickly.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, foosman said:

I think the move to Texas A&M was in the late 1990s? I joined up in the early 1990s when John DeArmond was hosting it on his dixie.com domain, IIRC.

I was at A&M from 1985-1998, and it was at least 2-3 years years before I left.  Could have been mid-90's. Funny how dates blur more than 20 years later.... 

When the Harvard server was going to shut down, Carl let me know. I worked with Ag Extension at TAMU, and went to a gent in the IT section named Paul and asked him if there was any way to help. He was kind of a delightful maverick (big guy about 6'4" and 260 pounds) and said, "well, Extension is here to inform and educate people, and this listserv does that, so I'll find a way to host it."  I know he took it under his wing and basically managed it himself.  Unfortunately he passed away a few years after I left A&M in 1998. 

On behalf of Zcar.com, I find a pretty good group of people there. I admit that I get tired of people asking a question that ahs been asked 100 times when they haven't bothered to do a search, so there may be a mea culpa due there.  I am also fond of referring people with basic questions to Nicolub.com for service manuals.  I really appreciate having all those service manuals there.  My1983 280ZX service manual was three-hole punched and put in a binder years ago. 

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

HybridZ is very different now, polite even.  Once TonyD stopped posting things changed quickly.

That is good to know. I think he was the main reason many left that site.

The problem as I saw it was the site owner did not own and the moderators did not moderate.

It was a free for all $^!# show some times.

5 hours ago, gundee said:

That is good to know. I think he was the main reason many left that site.

The problem as I saw it was the site owner did not own and the moderators did not moderate.

It was a free for all $^!# show some times.

To his credit TonyD is a smart guy and has a lot of experience to offer, but it's like that phase they use on kids report cards, "Doesn't play well with others"