Av8ferg

Why this forum is unique

I always liked TonyD.  He was the first to help me when I first got a Z and signed up on ZCar.com. Funny I first thought of him as being Japanese because of his knowledge about these cars.   I tried to visit with him when working in the Philippines but local transport was a bit too challenging.

Thank you Mike, and thanks for this site. It is unique and the total knowledge is extremely helpful to us all. Some here are more "expert" than others. I go for the information and try ignore the editorializing. I have learned more about my car than I ever thought possible.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 3

Just a thought as to why the Viper people were so off-putting. I've noticed different cars attract different sorts of people - stereotypes essentially. Think of the Civic owner clichés as an example. One of my buddies was always enamored by hearses and when he got one, he met some other hearse owners and all of them were just as delightfully eccentric as he. I don't know how to describe the Z-car scene, but, yes, most everybody does seem to be welcoming, helpful and all around nice (for lack of a better word). Maybe that's just the sort of people who are attracted to the Z, for some reason or another. And if I had to wager a guess, I'd imagine Viper people may tend to be a bit more... aggressive, to put it nicely. That's not to say "Viper owner = a-hole", only that there's a trend in the statistics. 

Whatever the rhyme of reason may be, Z people are my kind of people ❤️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

That's really insightful. I wonder what a Hummer forum would be like? LOL

Bummer... 

20 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

So everyone knows.....I didn’t buy this Viper it was given to me by my father who was quite an amazing man. He came from humble, lower income family beginnings. Was a 2x Vietnam vet who flew helicopters in the war. He came home with pretty severe PTSD and was so emotionally damaged and saddened by his experience that he decided to become a doctor. He packed up the family and moved us to Italy in 1973 and got his MD in Rome taught in Italian (which he learned while there). We moved back to the states and he became an ER doctor, opened several clinics and gave Free medical services to all Vets, Police and Firefighters and well as people who could not afford medical services. He traveled to Honduras every few years to give free medical care to the poor there. He loved fast cars and when he bought this Viper new it was the ultimate American sports car. He helped more people than anyone I know. He passed away sitting on the living room watching the Scfi channel of was we think was a stroke in 2018. This car is special to me because it is one of the few things I have of his. He put all 38,800 miles on it and to sit in it and drive and the closest I can be to being with him. It holds tremendous sentimental value to me. He surely wasn’t the pretentious man that people may think of those who own cars like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing that with us. He sounds like a remarkable man. 

Take good care of that inheritance. I'm sure he would want you to drive it like a Viper deserves to be driven.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I wonder what a Hummer forum would be like? LOL

I think you should google that.

"Hummer"   "Forum"    LOL

• Like 1

a milling machine is NICE to have. My goal is to eventually get a 2 post lift and a shop to work in. the older I get the less I like working on my back. As far as the "hobby" yes it is and its great to take you mind off other troubles in life. I have had several hobbies (RC aircraft/Vintage electronics/Cars/Construction) all done out of passion to learn and not be afraid of failure.

• Like 1

@Dave WM

Yep, I love having it (and a lathe, too!).  They've made a huge difference in what I can get done.  Problem now is I have a hard time just grabbing a drill to make holes in a plate, when I can do it so much more precisely.

My best wishes to you for getting both soon! I have dreamed of a lift myself.

This forum also has a laid back, bunch of buddies hanging around talking about their favorite car sort of feeling. It's like a Z lover's watering hole. The regulars seem to know each other,  and we newbies come in learning from the tried and true experts. Also, there's several informal threads such as this one, the "z's only a mother could love" one, and the "Saturday Music" one as well, to name a few. I'm not sure how many car forum websites are like this - whether it's common, or relatively rare. 

Either way, that's what makes this forum unique to me. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I went to ZCON in Memphis Tennessee in 2015? and finally met and hung out with these guys. That was the beginning of a completely new relationship. We are from all over the map but have the same attitude and compassion for the Datsuns. It was life changing for me to be around such a group. Forever friends I can say without a doubt. Sorta makes biker gangs understandable to me, personally. I'd do anything for my Z friends and they would, and do, for me.

You have to go to a ZCON. :love:

I bet that is real great! It's neat how a car brings people together just the same as music. You like CCR? I like you. You like a z? I like you, too. 

Looks like this year's is in Colorado which is a long way from home for me. Maybe I could make it, but there's always the next years. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ETI4K said:

My friends don't really appreciate that I finally acquired a milling machine in support of my endeavors

Oooow, milling machine envy, still can't justify the cash outlay but once you have it and a lathe you make just about anything.

I'm 4 hours deeper into the humidity here. You get used to it like snow at your place I guess but no matter how humid it is I've never walked outside and not been able to see my car. We don't have to shovel it either. LOL

Oh yeah, I have a dehumidifier in my garage with a 2 gallon tank. My washer and dryer are down there too. I can fill up my washer from the dehumidifier once a week by dumping the tank in there. I'm a conservationist! (tight wad)

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

For me, that Memphis ZCON was the start of faces to a screen, but it has continued since then.

I've hopped into a car with a Z guy I had never met before... In the middle of traffic. And after verifying that neither of us was carrying and axe, we went on a pub crawl.
I've met for pancakes in Princeton with Z people I had never met before.
I've met for project show-and-tell and food north of Toronto with Z people I had never met before.
In Orlando, when you've seen enough of the Great Mouse and the other tourist attractions... I've met up with Z people there.
I've even been invited to a meal at the parent's house of a Z guy who used to live close to me but now lives completely at the other end of the country.
When traveling on completely non-Z related events, I've made stop-offs to see some friends and make new ones.
I've met for coffee (and hopefully provide a short respite from the rigors and boredom of work travel) with Z people who find themselves in the area for a layover.

I'm wondering if it's just the food and drink.....  LOL

• Like 2

You and @Zup on I-85 in Atlanta is close to me and the crawl. I was scared for both you guys. Well then poor Mark and Kathy jumping in with me from Hartsville airport to Braselton after getting off a cross country plane ride. I think we're either nuts or very trusting. Maybe both?

Edited by siteunseen
  • Thanks 1

There was nothing but sheer joy being able to put faces and get to know some of fine people on this forum. We all have more in common than our love of Zs.

• Like 1