IGNORED

1976 280 Z from Ohio to Dubai

BAS_DXB

First seat finished and handed over for the fitting and the adjustment of the new floor/support/transmission tunnel (Thanks @wheee! for your advice on this one !)

Photo 17-01-2021, 11 58 19 AM (8).jpgPhoto 17-01-2021, 12 33 01 PM (3).jpg

The rear left wheel arch completed, so now its "only" the floor area 😂

Photo 17-01-2021, 5 06 38 PM.jpgPhoto 17-01-2021, 5 06 32 PM.jpgPhoto 17-01-2021, 5 06 22 PM.jpg

Spare tire well done, floor cutting started yesterday.

Photo 17-01-2021, 5 14 57 PM.jpgPhoto 17-01-2021, 5 07 47 PM.jpgPhoto 17-01-2021, 5 29 23 PM.jpg

I have also asked the welding mask question to my dude and his answer was straight forward and funny at the same time: "I am from Philippines, I have small eyes so no problem".

Edited by BAS_DXB
  • Like 4

Happy Sunday all, you might know the week starts on Sunday here in the Middle East (and ends of Thursday).

Some progress on the floor passenger side, from the "small" hole and underneath rusted rail, to the cleaned up area and the new floor being adjusted.

Photo 17-01-2021, 5 31 03 PM.jpgPhoto 17-01-2021, 5 30 40 PM.jpgPhoto 20-01-2021, 5 26 40 PM.jpgPhoto 20-01-2021, 5 26 39 PM.jpgPhoto 21-01-2021, 2 52 34 PM.jpg

You can also notice the patches on driver side above, mix and match of original floor (the water drain in X shape), a part of Zeddfindings floor with the square area, and some metal sheets.

Also, the dismantling of the other parts has also started, finally !

The gas tank as several rust spot, some pin holes, but I believe can be saved, let's see after sandblasting.

Photo 21-01-2021, 1 33 03 PM.jpg

Shocks/springs will be changed with the KYB Excel G I got in the auction with the car and the T3 coil over conversion kit. The front brake calipers will be refurbished (disks and pads are still new), rear drum refurbished as well. Everything going for sandblasting and will be repainted in black, except the sway bars to remain red, matching with the Prothane bushing kit.

Photo 21-01-2021, 1 32 33 PM.jpgPhoto 21-01-2021, 2 47 37 PM.jpgPhoto 21-01-2021, 2 48 28 PM.jpg

Edited by BAS_DXB
  • Like 3

oh man this is too dangerous🤫 why he is playing with his eyes and his future too. It's a serious threat  with exposure to flying particles, noxious fumes, and any spatter from the weld pool, a this guy/welder, is not protecting his eyes from an arc welding torch becomes subject to a painful and potentially debilitating condition know as photokeratitis, colloquially in welding circles as “welder’s flash” or “arc eye.” It's my request to whom ever do welding please please please wear welding helmets.😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kim Holly said:

oh man this is too dangerous🤫 why he is playing with his eyes and his future too. It's a serious threat  with exposure to flying particles, noxious fumes, and any spatter from the weld pool, a this guy/welder, is not protecting his eyes from an arc welding torch becomes subject to a painful and potentially debilitating condition know as photokeratitis, colloquially in welding circles as “welder’s flash” or “arc eye.” It's my request to whom ever do welding please please please wear welding helmets.😀

You better believe that the last time I was welding I was wearing a welding helmet, welding gloves, and a welding apron. Of course, since it was summer in Georgia, I was wearing a tank top. I got a good sunburn on my arms from the welder. LOL 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I'm laid up with "welders neck" right now, after many days in row of welding the 510 my neck said enough with flicking the helmet down with a sharp bop of the head, I guess I'm not 30 anymore.

Get an auto darkening hood. They can be had pretty cheap these days. I even fitted mine with cheater lenses on the inside so my old eyes can actually see the work.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BAS_DXB said:

Hi Guys, thinking about renaming the thread to "what's the best welding helmet in the market"spacer.pngspacer.png 😂

Further development on the floor, both sides were ready for spot welding yesterday afternoon, it does feel closer to the denting and painting.🤩

Photo 31-01-2021, 4 52 23 PM.jpgPhoto 31-01-2021, 5 15 12 PM.jpgPhoto 31-01-2021, 5 14 49 PM.jpg

After seat adjustment on the transmission tunnel the water drain holes and the bend had to be deleted, so 2 new drain will be created. Still need to close the speaker holes cuts into the tool box.

Photo 31-01-2021, 4 51 36 PM.jpg

I reused the original seat sliders & brackets and adapted them for the Recaro, using the same fixation points on the body. Also, had a guest quite unhappy to remain in the passenger seat 🤣

Photo 26-01-2021, 4 37 26 PM.jpgPhoto 26-01-2021, 9 56 45 PM.jpg

The repairs are coming along quickly, and looking quite good.

Poor Bernie can’t get a break after that shot of him with the mittens and that sour look went viral. I see where the woman who made them is getting plenty of offers to buy them, although it is only a hobby for her. She did provide a few pairs for auction to raise money for some cause though, so a good outcome, eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/1/2021 at 5:10 PM, wheee! said:

Great work on the driver side trans hump! That will be so much easier to fit modern seats.

Reusing the original sliders from the 280z and doing a first fitting before removing everything was the way to go. Again, thank you loads for the warning @wheee!

The Recaro are slightly larger, but now there is enough space for the noise/heat proofing mat, the carpet and the seat belt.

Thank you all for supporting my sense of humor =P I'll probably make a poster with Bernie and send him out.

Latest news: the interior work is finally completed 🙏 I am studying the battery relocation (probably end up with a braille 2015 in the passenger side toolbox)

Photo 03-02-2021, 12 48 23 PM.jpg

From the exterior, delete of the side marker holes is done, almost deleted the antenna hole as well, but after testing it is still working (going up and down at least) so I decided to keep the vintage style.

Inspired again by @grannyknot and @wheee! I added the hood gas strut, so much slicker than the big spring bar crossing and visible behind the front grille.

Photo 03-02-2021, 12 15 33 PM.jpgPhoto 03-02-2021, 12 20 10 PM.jpgPhoto 03-02-2021, 12 19 49 PM.jpgPhoto 03-02-2021, 12 19 38 PM.jpg

And we are now doing some cleanup in the engine bay, as battery is relocated, and the air intake and manifold are replaced by ITBs, we can get rid of a lot of useless stuff 😅 Next step starting on Saturday is denting and panels adjustment with the new weatherstrip, should take the week or so, before painting prep to start ! My excitement is through the roof !

Photo 03-02-2021, 12 19 55 PM.jpg

Open question regarding the front side markers, as I deleted them from the fenders to have smoother body lines, I am thinking about putting them in the wheel wells, see below:

50934d1c-7a61-4b4f-b6aa-379dac79e7d5.jpg

No need to extend cables, just some plastic cutting actually...

Finally some work started on the dashboard, marking is done and the alcantara is being cut (29 pieces in total):

Photo 03-02-2021, 12 57 13 PM.jpgPhoto 01-02-2021, 1 21 45 PM.jpg

• Like 3