IGNORED

1976 280 Z from Ohio to Dubai

BAS_DXB

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

The 3rd pic down, I hope that welder has his #14 welding shade contact lenses in.:blink:

10 minutes ago, BAS_DXB said:

He is already blind, it's all about the feels... I have been asking him to wear a welding helmet or goggles, but...

No gloves either.

I've done spot welding in a similar fashion, doing the same thing this guy is. Set the wire where you wand to make the weld, close your eyes squeeze the trigger briefly, let go, open your eyes.

You can move pretty quickly through the work, but it is not good for not only your eyes (your eyelids don't block enough of the light intensity) but the ultraviolet radiation from the arc is worse that too much sun exposure.

I wear lightweight leather gloves (no synthetic materials when joining metals with electric fire), a long sleeve thin suede leather coat that goes on backwards, like that gown they give you at the doctor's office, only waist length), and an autodarkening full face hood with a suede leather flap attached to the chin to shield my neck from the arc light.

With the autodarkening viewport there is less fipping up of the hood, which is why guys don't wear one. The leather prevents risk of skin cancer dramatically.

Also a good idea to avoid the vapors, smoke and fumes, hey are full of toxic stuff, better yet, a respirator with organic cartridges, or one of those flexible hood things that suck the nasty stuff away.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Racer X said:

I've done spot welding in a similar fashion, doing the same thing this guy is. Set the wire where you wand to make the weld, close your eyes squeeze the trigger briefly, let go, open your eyes.

You can move pretty quickly through the work, but it is not good for not only your eyes (your eyelids don't block enough of the light intensity) but the ultraviolet radiation from the arc is worse that too much sun exposure.

I remember visiting a friend in high school with another buddy and messing around with her dad's arc welder.  They were doing a down to the frame rebuild of a 63 Impala.  He started trying to weld with the "close your eyes" method.  I left before he did and didn't see him in school for two days.  He was blind from burned retinas.  It cleared up but I'm sure it was a scary time.  

• Like 2

May I recommend the Crystal 2.0 hood from Optrel.  In a really good light, the lens is so transparent I sometimes forget I've already flipped it down.  The problem is, I've also fallen for it the other way 'round.  I thought it was down, and it wasn't.   Damn it!

When you're using MIG to weld these bodies, you have to pulse-fire it.  Without auto-darkening, you'll go crazy, so the squeeze eyes shut trick lets you get the job done, at a cost. Which I submit is much, much higher than the hood cost.  My wonderful wife took pity on me and gave me the hood for Christmas last year.

Along those lines, I used to know a painter who would smoke and shoot at the same time.  Can't wear a mask if you're smoking, right?  What could go wrong?  He has to "retire" in his forties.  Never saw him again.  I'm pretty sure he was impervious to the chemistry of the paint we were using. 🙄

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ETI4K said:

My wonderful wife took pity on me and gave me the hood for Christmas last year.

Or visions of leading her blind husband around.  😎

That's a spendy item but one medical visit probably breaks even, besides long-term risk.

https://www.amazon.com/Optrel-Crystal-Auto-Darkening-Welding-1006-900/dp/B07LHDC74K

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Or visions of leading her blind husband around.  😎

That's a spendy item but one medical visit probably breaks even, besides long-term risk.

https://www.amazon.com/Optrel-Crystal-Auto-Darkening-Welding-1006-900/dp/B07LHDC74K

That's a snazzy looking hood. 

I own two (not the Optrel), the first I bought when they first came on the market, paid $100 for it.

The second one was free. After leaving the electric utility after 30 years I hired on with the county road shops, working on their fleet. The first thing the manager did was tell me to pick up a welding hood the next time I went by the welding shop, and put it on the county account. That one is a bit nicer, if I recall correctly it cost about $250.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BAS_DXB said:

Hey guys, some progress on the seat, the first one will be completed by tomorrow evening, and all the pieces are cut for the second one. What do you think about the color combo ?

Photo 13-01-2021, 8 31 14 AM.jpgPhoto 13-01-2021, 8 31 14 AM (5).jpgPhoto 13-01-2021, 8 31 14 AM (6).jpgPhoto 13-01-2021, 8 31 14 AM (3).jpg

Looks nice.

Your Z will be one to be proud of, for sure.

• Like 1