IGNORED

L28 w/ SU Carb intake manifold vacuum leak

Awk34

There should be a very small gap (just enough air for idle) between the butterfly and the carb housing if the linkage is correct and the choke linkage isn't opening the butterfly a bit for cold start. The only way the pistons will lift is by the engine drawing air past the butterflies.

• Like 1

A little late to the party, but here is my 2 pennies worth:

It can’t be your cam as it’s only affecting 3 cyls not all six. So IMHO it’s definitely fuelling / carb / intake related.

The only time my headers have been visibly glowing is when I’ve been heating the car up at night on choke at around 2-2.5k rpm with an AFR of around 12 (so read very rich). The camera does make it look 10x hotter than it was to the naked eye!!!

7d483c7901fefa6456bcb28e267ae296.jpg&key=e44e05a4bd0de1d7c0ba41973f372a17465dca7d74349012d7754e75578fb8a2

4k is high indeed for a leak but also do we know how advanced your idle timing is? Just advancing the distributor I’ve had the engine at 2k rpm, let alone adding in a leak.

Either way, I would focus on the carb serving the bank of 3 not glowing.

Good luck, I’m confident you will find something simple soon as the culprit!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

@Awk34 can you post pictures of the throttle shaft? Part number 13 and 14 in this diagram.

02A27786-CBA1-4EDF-9142-AA0A710B14F0.jpeg

Here's some photos. As you can see I don't have any of the vacuum diaphragm / valve stuff on the balance tube, and all the barbs are blocked off with caps.

PXL_20210410_032050851.jpg

PXL_20210410_032109686.jpg

PXL_20210410_032119566.jpg

Here's a video to help: 

It shows the front carb when the engine "idles" at 4000 / 3000 RPM. The piston is definitely shooting up, so there has to be a vacuum leak somewhere between the cylinder and the carb, right? I've attached photos of the front (0007) & rear (0010) butterflies.

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

OK, MEGA dumb question - are you certain both carbs have the depression springs installed on top of their pistons?

Also that gap looks a little wide to me - could be just a trick of the camera. I will take a photo of mine later today for comparison. If memory serves, mine look almost completely shut.

A vac leak between carb and intake does not make the piston rise - in fact quite the opposite. Air flow THROUGH the carb does.

[mention=23570]siteunseen[/mention] - no tricks just the iPhone camera. The CCD being infrared sensitive picks up the hot manifold and makes it look way hotter. To the naked eye it was just a very slight dark red glow / barely visible but enough to make me want to take a photo!

• Like 2