IGNORED

Head gasket leak. Any video tuts?

Jabronie

One comment about pulling the head - on my 1983 ZX turbo the manifolds had bolts in places that I simply could NOT reach. Also, some bolts spanned a break between intake and exhaust manifolds, and held both of them in place. I spent hours trying to get the manifolds off the head while it was mounted, and simply could not.

I had to pull the head to get the manifolds off. I also re-installed the head with the manifolds already in place, and before doing so I replaced the exhaust studs with higher-grade material to prevent them breaking again.

Leaving the manifolds on makes the head much heavier, but it's worth it to avoid trying to mount them with the head already installed.  

Edited by Pilgrim

If you decide to tackle it I will suggest raising the front with ramps or jack stands. It'll help your back. After about an hour I can't take anymore bending over. Also cover those thin fenders with towels or those plastic/rubber magnetic fender covers. You'll need a few special tools also. The timing chain wedge, head bolt allen socket, cam sprocket socket, torque wrench and few others I cant think of. Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1

The bolts that hold the timing cover in place respond nicely to a small, handheld impact driver.  Be patient.  Do not give in to the temptation to just put a wrench on it to see whether you can make them pop loose.  Use of a power impact driver is at your own peril.

Getting the nuts on the front-most and rear-most exhaust manifold studs is, in my experience, a crapshoot.  If you snap off the stud, do not give in to the temptation of trying an 'EZ-out' remover.  Better to weld a nut onto the end of the stud.  Lots of videos available online to explain this procedure.

I think I have a '77 intake manifold on my P79 in the ZX.  It doesn't have the webbing.  Perhaps I'm wrong, and it's an earlier manifold. But if he doesn't have the webbing it'll be slightly easier to get the exhaust manifold bolts out..I remember the EGR tubing giving me lots of problems when I first got the car before pulling the original motor.

Edit: I must have a '75 manifold, there is no EGR.  The webbing is what makes the exhaust manifold bolts so tough to get out/replace.

Edited by Reptoid Overlords