IGNORED

wide ratio FS5W71B slipping out of 3rd & 4th

Jeff Berk

referring to the above photographs, the 3/4th fork pad thicknesses (top, center, bottom) are 4.11, 5.09, and 4.00mm.

The center pad has a slight stepped appearance on one side. 

The 1/2 for pad thicknesses (top, center, bottom) are 4.55, 4.33, and 4.98mm

I'm measuring the pad thickness as shown in the photograph.

3rd 4th fork D.jpg

Edited by Jeff Berk

• 3 weeks later...

stuck.jpgWell that 1st transmission was practice and I'm on to my 2nd unit I purchased hoping it was in better shape.

I found a few issues but none that the rebuilding kit shouldn't take care of. My question now is how to get this gear cluster apart. On my first transmission, the shaft split into two sections between the black and orange arrow, this one will not budge. From what I can see in the diagram, there should be a snap ring between these two components so until I pull them apart, I'm not going to get any further. 

Any pointers on how to split it here without doing any damage?

diagram stuck gears.jpg

There is nothing holding them together other than bad luck. The synchro must be welded to tapered part of the next gear that it rubs on. 

Can you turn the front part relative to the back?  If not the needle bearing in there must hatched...

Get your pry bar out get some persuasion going. Or rig up a slide hammer thingy

Edited by zKars

I had tried using the bearing splitter/puller clamped just behind the gear marked with the black arrow. It didn't move and I was concerned about damaging the teeth on the gear so I stopped.

And yes, the front part appears to be seized to the rest of the shaft. I might try soaking it in degreaser for a while to see if it's just seized due to grit.

Soaking it with parts cleaner didn't work,

A bearing puller/splitter didn't work,

Heat didn't work...

A 4-inch vice and two pipe wrenches with all my weight on one of them did the trick. The shafts started moving independently and eventually I was able to pull them apart. 

Zkars, you were absolutely right about the needle bearings.

I snapped the tips of two teeth (one shown in the top left of the photograph). I'm assuming I can live with it. If not, I could see if I can find someone to weld some metal onto it.

Thanks guys!

rollerBearings.jpg

Edited by Jeff Berk

On 2/1/2021 at 9:51 AM, Jeff Berk said:

I snapped the tips of two teeth (one shown in the top left of the photograph). I'm assuming I can live with it. If not, I could see if I can find someone to weld some metal onto it.

rollerBearings.jpg

I'm no expert but I don't think that that is usable.  Besides the broken teeth, the cone surface for the synchro is rusty and maybe scored.  It doesn't look like much but is actually a very precisely machined surface that has to fit the synchro surface just right.  And, the remaining teeth still look bad.  They should be sharper, they've been abused.  How does the same part from the other transmission look?

@zKars

And this what happens when you leave your transmission upright, out in the rain without a cap on the output end for about 5 years 

That there is a piece of metal worthy only of your local recycler. How many teeth on the 4th gear, ah,  gear? 21 or 22?

Look for NIS-16 or NIS-16A 

https://www.transmissionpartsdistributors.com/fs5w71c-fs5w71e-transmission-input-shaft-kit-22t-31t-fits-86-5-93-nissan-cars-2wd-trucks-nis-16a/

Note it comes with the matching gear for the countershaft cluster.

Now I’m worried about the rest of it.....

Edited by zKars

If you look at my Jan 4th posting, the teeth on my original transmission were sharper, but several of them were snapped off. I looked at that Transmissionpartsdistributors site; however the part is labeled as being for the C version of the transmission. I'm not sure how that differs from the FS5W71B transmission.

If I'm seeing things the way I think they are, a 4 speed built after 12/74 uses the same part.  You could probably find a 4 speed for under $50.  Maybe the guy you bought the recent 5 speed from has one.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-gears/4-speed/from-sep-71/6

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-gears/5-speed/19

Edited by Zed Head