IGNORED

Restoration of HLS30-12070

CW240Z72

11 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

There are some serious hours of prep on all the plated parts, it paid off, every piece looks perfect.

Thanks! I was really excited to get the full length hardlines redone as well. I’ll try to grab a few shots of those. 

2 hours ago, CW240Z72 said:

I did. Split them in two, media blasted the outside and then cleaned the bores, had them plated, and reassembled with new parts. 

No issues with plating in the bores or mating surfaces. They look really nice!

Who did the plating?

13 minutes ago, Patcon said:

No issues with plating in the bores or mating surfaces. They look really nice!

Who did the plating?

Thanks! Texas Precision Plating did the work. 

I was lucky, the bores came back with a thin zinc coating, but the exterior nice and uniform. A light hone seemed to clean them up, same for mating surfaces. I was curious how they would reassemble after plating, but they have sealed up nicely. 

• Like 1

More progress made on the body. Last bit of body work completed on the underside, and the final primer applied. Next I'll weld back in the spare tire hold down. We removed this so that any rust under and between it and the tub could be completely removed.  

IMG_8984.jpg

IMG_8985.jpg

IMG_8986.jpg

IMG_8987.jpg

IMG_8988.jpg

IMG_8989.jpg

IMG_8991.jpg

The inside of the car also received primer at the same time. Once dried we began to apply seam sealer in the same locations as the factory did. While the original application was very sloppy, we tried our best to accurate replicate it but with more attention to detail. 

IMG_8974.jpg

IMG_8975.jpg

IMG_8976.jpg

IMG_8977.jpg

IMG_8978.jpg

IMG_8982.jpg

Need to finish up applying seam sealer to the rear strut towers and a few areas around the firewall. After that it will get sound deadening applied, and then be ready for some color. 

• Like 2

We took a break from working on the body to finish up the rear strut assembly rebuild last night.   

IMG_9042.jpg

IMG_9043.jpg

IMG_9044.jpg

Once the underside and interior is painted we'll be close to getting the shell off the rotisserie. One thing I do need to track down are new hardline rubber isolators. Does anyone know where I can buy a complete rubber kit for these? Z Car Depot only sells 3D printed versions from what I can tell TIA. 

image.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jfa.series1 said:

Contact Steve at 240rubberparts.com. He is currently out of stock on one style set but might be able to give you a date for availability. All of his products are absolutely top grade quality!

https://www.240zrubberparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/4423037

Perfect, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks! 

On 11/10/2020 at 10:13 AM, CW240Z72 said:

Very cool! I have looked into a few ways to achieve this with various chemicals. I found another how to video of a guy doing this to a washer bottle. When I get to that point in the build I'll report back on how successful this DIY process is for me. 

I used this method on my vacuum tank and it worked extremely well. Here's a comparison "before/after" pic. Top pic is after.

20201125_131836.jpg

1 hour ago, dmorales-bello said:

I used this method on my vacuum tank and it worked extremely well. Here's a comparison "before/after" pic. Top pic is after.

20201125_131836.jpg

Now that looks great. I'm excited to give this a go on the washer bottle and fuel tank expansion canister out back. Hopefully with results as nice as yours.