Jump to content

IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection


Zed Head

Recommended Posts


Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

I know it's been re-painted Mart, I just find it crazy someone is willing to pay 70k for something that isn't correct or close as it came from the factory. I never saw any car from that era with wheel wells and the whole underside painted in the body color.  It does so on modern cars. I see a trend last years that people do that when restoring a classic, and I just think it looks ridiculous. It may be nice if you have a fetish for shiny underside parts. 

Early 240Z's did come from the factory with body color paint on the underside. Most in my area got dealer applied black undercoating of some type. My 7/70 car #6521 got the very thick tar like undercoating which I have removed during my restoration exposing original 918 orange paint throughout. On my car I found that under the 918 paint the front wheel wells and the transmission tunnel, front to rear, plus between and including the underfloor frame rails, got a very heavy dark charcoal grey primer. The top coat of paint in these areas is very thin and the dark grey color shows through, especially in the transmission tunnel. The area under the floors and the rear wheel wells had a lighter blueish grey primer and the top orange coat was much closer to the upper exposed surfaces. Here are some pics of mine.

20211227_094712.jpg

20220412_112838.jpg

20220306_074612.jpg

20220212_154432.jpg

20220123_130533.jpg

20220123_130450.jpg

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

I know it's been re-painted Mart, I just find it crazy someone is willing to pay 70k for something that isn't correct or close as it came from the factory. 

 
A 240Z restored to "as close as it came from the factory”, ie Condition #1 - will cost you $150K+ today. A little farther away, that being with say 10 judging points deducted from a possible 100, would be in the $125K range. (one just sold earlier in that price range, with some owner selected modifications).
 
The restoration work on the one that sold for $70K+ would take a year or two of the owners work,  and an addition $60K to $80K to duplicate, on top of the purchase price of the car to start with.  $70K for 240Z in that condition was a bargain today.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Carl Beck said:
 
A 240Z restored to "as close as it came from the factory”, ie Condition #1 - will cost you $150K+ today. A little farther away, that being with say 10 judging points deducted from a possible 100, would be in the $125K range. (one just sold earlier in that price range, with some owner selected modifications).
 
The restoration work on the one that sold for $70K+ would take a year or two of the owners work,  and an addition $60K to $80K to duplicate, on top of the purchase price of the car to start with.  $70K for 240Z in that condition was a bargain today.

Well Carl, the market in the US seems totally different for what people over the pond here are willing to pay for a 240z then

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2022 at 3:14 AM, bartsscooterservice said:

Well Carl, the market in the US seems totally different for what people over the pond here are willing to pay for a 240z then

I am not at all current on 240Z values in the Netherlands nor most of Europe - however I do know that Chris Visscher at S30 World on Facebook - has spent a small fortune restoring several 240Z’s. I’m sure he expects to get at least $150K+ for the cars they complete.  The war in Europe may put a serious damper on the economy, which in turn will lower all Classic Car values for some time… nonetheless the 240Z’s are relatively inexpensive as 50+ year old classic Sports Cars go.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Carl Beck said:

I am not at all current on 240Z values in the Netherlands nor most of Europe - however I do know that Chris Visscher at S30 World on Facebook - has spent a small fortune restoring several 240Z’s. I’m sure he expects to get at least $150K+ for the cars they complete.

My impression was that he's restoring cars for his own collection.

How do you know they are going to be sold?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Carl is intending "expected value" rather than an intention of sale value.  I also think Carl premised fairly well as that would be around my "expected value" of my cars.  Chris is showing us really nice workmanship.

"The restoration work on the one that sold for $70K+ would take a year or two of the owners work,  and an addition $60K to $80K to duplicate, on top of the purchase price of the car to start with.  $70K for 240Z in that condition was a bargain today."

$80 - $100K in my opinion.  Plus the original cost of the car.

Edited by 26th-Z
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, zspert said:

ALL of the new Datsuns sold at the dealers where I was employed until about 1976 or so did not have undercoating from the factory and were, therefore, body color underneath. The paint applied at the factory to the bottom of the 240s, 510s, 1200, 610s, 710s, roadsters and trucks was very inconsistent from one area to another. It might be pretty OK here but thin over there. Lots of orange peel here and a bit of dirt in the paint over there.

To illustrate zspert's points, here are a couple of photos of VIN 19769 (01/71), taken from the nicely-documented BaT listing when the car was up for sale in 2016.  Both paint and lack of paint are in evidence, depending on the location on the underside.

DSC_0924_zpsyz1yexb0.jpg

 

DSC_0927_zps0d5f7cv5.jpg

 

DSC_0961_zpsjhdgrd6w.jpg

 

DSC_0930_zpswqphqsog.jpg

 

DSC_0894_zps5ekc3tho.jpg

 

DSC_0312_zpsd2fakesh.jpg

Edited by Namerow
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2022 at 5:55 AM, HS30-H said:

My impression was that he's restoring cars for his own collection.

How do you know they are going to be sold?

Prior to the Covid shut down, Chis was planning on shipping a Z to me, which would have been offered for sale once it was already in the US.  Most of his Z’s he is doing for his collection, however as people get into the hobby their specific interests or priorities change and they adjust their inventory.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Carl Beck said:
Prior to the Covid shut down, Chis was planning on shipping a Z to me, which would have been offered for sale once it was already in the US.  Most of his Z’s he is doing for his collection, however as people get into the hobby their specific interests or priorities change and they adjust their inventory.

Not sure how this didn't happen, single car scenario backs up your "$150k+ for the cars they restore" premise, but whatever.

Some time ago (prior to Covid...) I was invited to become - in some way(?) - connected to the 'S30 World' operation. No idea what a singularly  unpopular character such as myself was expected to add, but there you go.

I declined. Looks like I made the right decision. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.