IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

2 hours ago, lonetreesteve said:

1972 Datsun 240Z

The VIN number is (HLS3056312).

So does that VIN work out to be a 72?

I'm with Zed Head. With near 100% confidence, I say it's (what's left of) a 76 with some 240 parts bolted on years ago. Yes, yes... I looked at the pics again and studied them. And yes, I wish I hadn't.    :excl:

Edited by Captain Obvious
Upped my confidence level
  • Haha 1

The VIN is consistent with a 72. The rear quarter panels, bumpers, and grill are consistent with a 72. The interior (notice the voltmeter), the tail panel, the engine bay, and radiator support are consistent with a 76. (A friend tried to use a 280Z airbox on a fuel injection conversion of a 260Z and found that the intake piping couldn't pass through the radiator support on the earlier cars.)

My guess is that it was a wreck and rebuild at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

The VIN is consistent with a 72.

The VIN of the BAT listing 76 I showed is lower than the VIN of the blue car in question.  So the blue eBay Beverly Hills turd should have been created after the nice BAT 76.  Therefore, a 76 or later.  Are we all looking at the same numbers and posts (things get squirrelly here at times)? 

Edit - actually I see that the VINs don't seem to accumulate over the years.  Looks like they reset each year?  Why? 

So, the VIN is not actually helpful in determining year.  But the rest of the car looks 76 to me.  Who moves the fusible link terminals over with an engine swap?  And the AC solenoids (magnet valves).

Here's a 72 - HLS3051114

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-datsun-240z-152/

Edited by Zed Head

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

The rear quarter panels, bumpers, and grill are consistent with a 72. 

My guess is that it was a wreck and rebuild at some point.

How is a 72 quarter different from a 76 quarter?  I don't know.

Might be that it was in a rear ender sandwich in the past.  Whatever it was, it's just another parts car now.

9 hours ago, Zed Head said:

The VIN of the BAT listing 76 I showed is lower than the VIN of the blue car in question.  So the blue eBay Beverly Hills turd should have been created after the nice BAT 76.  Therefore, a 76 or later.  Are we all looking at the same numbers and posts (things get squirrelly here at times)? 

Edit - actually I see that the VINs don't seem to accumulate over the years.  Looks like they reset each year?  Why? 

So, the VIN is not actually helpful in determining year.  But the rest of the car looks 76 to me.  Who moves the fusible link terminals over with an engine swap?  And the AC solenoids (magnet valves).

Here's a 72 - HLS3051114

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-datsun-240z-152/

The VIN posted by @lonetreesteve was HLS3056312. What I didn't notice is that it's one digit short. If the missing digit is a leading "0", that would put it in the range for a 72. The 76 VIN should be HLS30270001 to HLS30350000 for a coupe and GLS30030001 to GLS30060000 according to the chart below (though I suspect it might be GLS30003001 to GLS30006000 due to the lower production numbers - unless the VINs were unified for the 75 and later worldwide). They may have got it screwed up in the email they sent him. They wouldn't have re-set VIN numbers, though I think it has been established that VINs are not necessarily sequential.

Z VINs.jpg

In my observations, it appears that the bumper indentations on rear quarter panels disappeared after 74. Here is a restoration in progress on a 75 that shows the lack of indentations: http://mybuildgarage.com/2010/09/1975-datsun-280z-restoration/

I'm not willing to bet against you for the lack of title or the parts car status. I'm not sure you could get more than a couple of hundred in parts off of that car. 

• Like 2

I actually avoided commenting on the blue car just because it seemed like a messy discussion.  Thought I had the easy solution with the VIN posted from Beverly Hills.  I had found that jdmjunkies chart too but couldn't read it.

I don't think I'd buy a car from those guys.  They're like the opposite of BAT.  As little info presented as possible.

14 hours ago, Zed Head said:

How is a 72 quarter different from a 76 quarter?  I don't know.

Might be that it was in a rear ender sandwich in the past.  Whatever it was, it's just another parts car now.

The sheet metal is let in for the bumper for the 240. The later 260 and 280 are smooth, no depression for the bumper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Racer X said:

The sheet metal is let in for the bumper for the 240. The later 260 and 280 are smooth, no depression for the bumper.

If it has the indents I'd guess that they were smashed in there when the car was dragged through the field.  And the front end might just be smashed and rusty 76 parts.  JUST SAYING!! (Why am I even writing about this turd...)

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

If it has the indents I'd guess that they were smashed in there when the car was dragged through the field.  And the front end might just be smashed and rusty 76 parts.  JUST SAYING!! (Why am I even writing about this turd...)

image.png

image.png

I think you're right, there is not a relief on the rear quarter.

I just checked the rear strut tower differences, 240 to 280. The tower is 42 millimeters (1.65") higher on the 280. In the shots looking in from the back they do look taller. This car is looking more like a 280 that has been given the 240 look with the bumper makeover.

Another odd thing is I can't see the park/turn signals in the grille.

Maybe the brackets rusted away and they fell off.