IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

8 hours ago, Zed Head said:

$31,000 was not enough for the yellow 510.

image.png

Personally - I'd love to have that 510 (if I had room to keep it).  I thought the bidding was about right, if a little low compared to others more highly modified. It isn't a Pure Stock / Original example, nor is it a really "mod'ed" cannon carver. The L18 was nice, but why not an L20B or a KA? So no big money buyers. I also think that the photoshop'ed feature pictures, making it look too bright a greed based yellow - -  may have hurt it a bit - the color of the car shown in the video's was a bit more pleasing for a more stock looking example. Over-all a very nice 2dr 510 and perhaps the seller and top bidder could get together. 

I've been on the notifications for BAT for a while. Finally scratched the itch with my first 240z about a year ago. I bought it via Facebook marketplace from the original owner in Lafayette, Louisiana, about 1.5 hours from me. Still have the original title and receipts. It's a 1973 with build date of 10/72. So it apparently had the worst of the flat top carb iterations. 79K miles. He drove it maybe 3-4K the last 20 years. 

It is white with red interior, although the white is no longer stock Kilimanjaro white. It's a pearl white with a red hood stripe. 

I am finally driving it now that I've swapped out for rebuilt round tops, MSA performance exhaust system, coated header, new radiator lines, reupholstered seats and vinyl throughout, all new plastic interior panels, restored door panels, restored gas tank and cleaned fuel lines, new struts and progressive springs, etc. 

Also put the original radio back in it and hooked into power antenna. 

What's left is to restore back end tail light trim and paint Datsun grey (instead of current black), put in electronic ignition, and put original rims and hubcaps on.

At that point I'll be tempted to see what it's go for on BAT. It'd just be lacking the stock paint color 

Some pics.

PXL_20210407_004409567.jpg

IMG_20210404_194615_182.jpg

PXL_20210407_004235400.jpg

PXL_20210402_191552073.jpg

PXL_20210403_142624085.jpg

Edited by Dadsun
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Dadsun said:

I bought a couple of cans of this a few months back for the purpose. Anyone used it?

PXL_20210408_170334144.jpg

I have not used that product, but I will say if you are trying to get close original, I would say test spray something first to see the amount of "metallic". The original is a matte finish that had virtually no metallic except a very minimal amount at certain angles. Five years later I am still very happy with the choice I made, as in the link above that @siteunseenposted.

HTH, Mike

• Like 2