IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

16 minutes ago, jayhawk said:

Carl,  I too got my 240Z while in the service and still have it.  I had been lusting after one as soon as I read the 1970 Road and Track article, but finishing my degree, my draft notice from President Nixon (Greetings!...), and Navy service (and pay) got in the way until I returned in December 1972 from 11 months on an aircraft carrier on Yankee Station (N. Vietnam) with enough cash to buy one.  It still took 4 months on the dealers wait list before until April '73 before I could buy it.  After the 240Z came out, no one, at least in my squadron, bought any other sports car.    Here is a photo I took in December 1972 as our ship departed Japan returning to the US.  I've annotated it with the model of Z each of us bought (eventually).  (I'm the skinny fellow in the Navy Flying Jacket - Leather)

3 NAVY Z GUYS.jpg

Pentax, Nikon or Canon?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jayhawk said:

I think the one in the photo is a Nikon.  I was an Asahi Pentax bigot.  Still have that too!

I've never had anything but K mount cameras and lenses. After going digital my collection of manual lenses exploded. Lots of M and A series, Russian M42 stuff, Sigma (mostly) film era, and I lean towards f2.8 and faster. 

I recently picked up a Zuiko 35mm f2.8 Shift, and converted it to K mount for use on my K-1 (digital). I need to give it a go with Z pictures. My main lens for shooting cars is a Sigma 28mm f2.8 Mini Wide, or a Pentax A 28mm f2.8, as I can get in close to compose out the people walking around without getting too much distortion, so the Zuiko shouldn't be too much different.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

@Racer X, I keep meaning to mention this... You don't always have to quote an entire post every time. You can clip it down to a smaller size, or not include any quoted material at all if it still makes sense without it.

Just a suggestion. :beer:

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I've tried to cut out portions of and edit quoted posts, but this new forum software isn't very cooperative. 

For instance, when there is a mention in the quoted post, and I want to edit it out, the text editor won't let me. 

Instead it starts acting squirrely, and trying to select and ctrl/d or backspace it away results in freaky unwanted carriage returns.

And if I try to break up a quoted post to discuss individual points, adding in the appropriate BB code doesn't provide the desired formatting.

And there isn't a preview post button, or an advanced text editor.

Weird.

Sure, there are some neat features, one doesn't need to manually enter BB code for dropping a picture or a YouTube video. That's a nice time saver.

But generally, I find this new layout buggy and difficult to get control of, so I apologize if my posts are a bother.

1970 Datsun 240z - $12,000

Located in Seward, Nebraska (near Lincoln).

Originally a 901 Silver car that was resprayed light blue. VIN# HLS30-05655 and has its original matching-numbers engine

(#L24-007235) with 2400 valve cover. Judging from the pictures and the description, this 240Z needs a lot of body work. 

Here's the link: 

https://lincoln.craigslist.org/cto/d/seward-1970-datsun-240z/7287924044.html

For sale is a 1970 Datsun 240z. Car runs and drives. Car has original 2.4 liter inline 6 with 4 speed manual that came in the car. Car has a clean title. Normal rust for a 1970’s Z car, floor boards, rear quarter panels, lower part of front fender. Spare tire well has no rust. Pictures show passenger door panel missing but it will come with the car. The gas tank was replaced last year with new stainless steel tank straps. Stainless brake lines and a new brake master cylinder installed.

00q0q_4tFlX3brghCz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00w0w_fvPmSFhSKjUz_0un0t2_600x450.jpg

00H0H_gbqf87OS650z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00000_bYz3KvuI6oMz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00m0m_a70MFpVviTfz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jayhawk said:

Carl,  I too got my 240Z while in the service and still have it.  I had been lusting after one as soon as I read the 1970 Road and Track article, but finishing my degree, my draft notice from President Nixon (Greetings!...),.. {snipped..cjb}

Small world - when I was finishing my degree I received letters from two Presidents on the same day. The first was from President Elect. Nixon thanking me for working in his campaign. (Nixon Promised to End The Draft)   The second was from President Johnson - GREETINGS. I was to report for induction two months before being graduated! It had taken me about 6 years to work my way though a 4 year degree - so the Draft Board wasn't willing to extend my Student Deferment... Lucky for me, my Journalism Professor Dr. Dean Jachius- happened to be a Colonel in the Marine Corp Reserves and an Administrative Assistant to then Governor Rhoads. He was able to get me a 90 day extension - during which time I joined the Air Force.!! 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Carl Beck said:

...I sold them all except the 240Z.

18 hours ago, jayhawk said:

Carl,  I too got my 240Z while in the service and still have it. 

I was late to this party with my 280Z, but I am curious who else on here is the original owner of their Z?

16 hours ago, lonetreesteve said:

1970 Datsun 240z - $12,000

Located in Seward, Nebraska (near Lincoln).

Originally a 901 Silver car that was resprayed light blue. VIN# HLS30-05655 and has its original matching-numbers engine

(#L24-007235) with 2400 valve cover. Judging from the pictures and the description, this 240Z needs a lot of body work. 

Here's the link: 

https://lincoln.craigslist.org/cto/d/seward-1970-datsun-240z/7287924044.html

For sale is a 1970 Datsun 240z. Car runs and drives. Car has original 2.4 liter inline 6 with 4 speed manual that came in the car. Car has a clean title. Normal rust for a 1970’s Z car, floor boards, rear quarter panels, lower part of front fender. Spare tire well has no rust. Pictures show passenger door panel missing but it will come with the car. The gas tank was replaced last year with new stainless steel tank straps. Stainless brake lines and a new brake master cylinder installed.

Update:  I sent Brain the owner of the 1970 240Z an email last night via Craigslist and he called me back late this morning. Brian is a nice, easy-going guy and he said that he is definitely willing to work with the price since the car needs bodywork.    

00d0d_2DOvRwSyGytz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg