IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

53 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

It's some some weird stuff going on with that car.

I assume these are Japanese plates? The one on the front then the rear, and it's not screwed on. 

1976_munich-by-28.jpg

Probably reproduction plates. There is a place in Florida that makes them, I had one made for my 72. I'll post a picture later.

I was looking at muscle cars and came across some entertaining videos.  Also reminded me of an old Portland thing that happened.

I learned how to turn in to the skid driving on wet Washington streets as a kid.  The key is fast hands on the steering wheel.  These guys are all too slow.

Edited by Zed Head

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

It's some some weird stuff going on with that car.

I assume these are Japanese plates? The one on the front then the rear, and it's not screwed on. 

1976_munich-by-28.jpg

1 hour ago, Racer X said:

Probably reproduction plates. There is a place in Florida that makes them, I had one made for my 72. I'll post a picture later.

And here it is. Correct size, color and type for the car classification in Japan for 1972. The characters to the left of the year are for Kanagawa prefecture, where Datsun 240Zs were manufactured. I forget what the character to the left is for. I chose 240-Z for obvious reasons. 

My plan is to hang it on the front, as I am not required to have a front plate using year of manufacture permanent licensing.

Also a shot of the rear plate on my 72.

1C9253E2-12FF-4F5C-BE2A-3990ED897716.jpeg

3DAC9479-6F88-45F9-BE4A-99F993E156F8.jpeg

• Like 1

$55,000 for the silver 71.  The seller called himself cobrajet and said that he had had several 240Z's in the past.  Either didn't set a reserve or set it below 55 (obviously).  Seemed like a car guy with a collection just moving one along.

image.png

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Racer X said:

And here it is. Correct size, color and type for the car classification in Japan for 1972. The characters to the left of the year are for Kanagawa prefecture, where Datsun 240Zs were manufactured. I forget what the character to the left is for. I chose 240-Z for obvious reasons. 

That is nothing like correct colour, or type.

You have chosen to replace the taxation code with a year (?) and there *is* no local issuing municipality mark for 'Kanagawa' because it is split into four issuing offices. Nissan Shatai's manufacturing plant would come under the Shonan issuing office's area, and therefore the Shonan kanji ( 湘南 ) would be on the plate if the car had been registered there.

Correct colour would be white with a green border stripe, and a '33' taxation code.

54 minutes ago, Racer X said:

My plan is to hang it on the front, as I am not required to have a front plate using year of manufacture permanent licensing.

Also a shot of the rear plate on my 72.

1C9253E2-12FF-4F5C-BE2A-3990ED897716.jpeg

3DAC9479-6F88-45F9-BE4A-99F993E156F8.jpeg

Here's my YOM plate and a front year model I bought of the internet.

Screenshot_20201231-171843_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20201231-172118_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HS30-H said:

That is nothing like correct colour, or type.

You have chosen to replace the taxation code with a year (?) and there *is* no local issuing municipality mark for 'Kanagawa' because it is split into four issuing offices. Nissan Shatai's manufacturing plant would come under the Shonan issuing office's area, and therefore the Shonan kanji ( 湘南 ) would be on the plate if the car had been registered there.

Correct colour would be white with a green border stripe, and a '33' taxation code.

The plate isn't meant to signify that the car was ever registered in Japan, as it was not. The car sold new in Washington state, and has been owned, licensed and operated there since new in 1972. In fact the rear plate is the original one, restored to new condition.

The Japanese characters for the prefecture isn't meant to be the correct issuing authority.

The characters  are the correct Japanese for Kanagawa prefecture, where the factory is that the car was manufactured at, not meant to signify any of the four official government issuing offices.

The color is indeed correct. From the ALPCA web archives regarding Japan registration plates: Passenger cars  >2000 c.c., 1962-74 green/white; 9 x 5; aluminum; embossed unpainted border.

An actual Japanese plate from that era, from the collection of a fellow ALPCA member:

50784389333_7f9b0fca07_m.jpgJapan Greater Than 2000cc by Racer, on Flickr

(ALPCA is the Automobile License Plate Collectors Association, located at alpca.org. Formed in 1954, ALPCA has been dedicated to the promotion of license plate collecting and research, the exchange of information and plates, and the fraternal benefits of sharing a common interest with others throughout the world. The largest license plate collectors organization in the world. ALPCA currently has 2,998 members from 50 states and 19 countries.)

So yes, I took some liberties with the creation of this novelty plate, but I took care to represent the origin of my Z accurately, and create a plate that is representative of what it might have had if it had been registered in Japan back in the day, within the limits of the resources available to me.

Edited by Racer X

57 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Here's my YOM plate and a front year model I bought of the internet.

Screenshot_20201231-171843_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20201231-172118_Gallery.jpg

Sweet.

Did you do the refinishing of the taillight panel? If so, what color did you use? I need to do mine, and there is no shortage of discussions about what is the right color.