IGNORED

Air / Fuel Meter Recommendations

jonbill, thanks for that link. Good read, and simple enough for my little mind to work through. So it seems that the real value would come with a multi-variable logging system and you can put them together with multiple pieces, or buy one already packaged together (like the Innovate LM-2). I was hoping to get away cheaper than that.

AK260, So you have the analog MTX? And I agree with your assessment as well*. There's a lot of value there too, but not as much as a multi-variable logging system. So do you get any meaningful info while just cruising normally and not at WOT? Or is the needle all over the place all the time?

* Except for the Bond-esque part about flipping a switch and having your clock become an A/F meter.     :ph34r:

10 hours ago, 240260280 said:

I have an old Innovate LM-1 that works fine. Remember Toronto 🙂

Sure I remember! Lets to that again! Having you as my co-pilot again would be a much better solution as far as I'm concerned!

So I knew you had the analysis equipment, but I didn't know it was an LM-1. I guess at the time, I just knew it worked.

• Like 1

AK260, So you have the analog MTX? And I agree with your assessment as well*. There's a lot of value there too, but not as much as a multi-variable logging system. So do you get any meaningful info while just cruising normally and not at WOT? Or is the needle all over the place all the time?

* Except for the Bond-esque part about flipping a switch and having your clock become an A/F meter.     [emoji185]

Jon is the man when it comes to these things! His speeduino setup and tuning is great to follow!

So here’s the thing, I got fed up of paying money for rolling road tuning that to my mind didn’t give me as good a tune as it should have. Hence the analogue MTX.

While I’m a frustrated data junkie and would love to have data in spreadsheets to play with, I find using the standalone AFR gauge invaluable under all throttle conditions. It has helped me tune the cruising AFR and with the custom timing using the 123 ignition (particularly useful for the vac advance and around the reversion conditions causing a torque hole). So in short, yes it does help in other than WOT conditions.

It’s also interesting to see how the car is behaving at different AFRs and throttle applications. For example, exhaust popcorn popping on the overrun starts at 16:1 or I find it interesting to see it go instantly rich (12ish) as soon as I plant the throttle and then slightly leaner as carb pistons start to rise and then richer again as the fuel catches up with the air flow. Or even that when I come off WOT, it’s still richer than expected for a second or two - unlike what I am used to with fuel injection on other cars. Likely due to residual fuel on the walls of the intake/ in the carbs. I get a perverse sense of satisfaction having this knowledge. ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Sure I remember! Lets to that again! Having you as my co-pilot again would be a much better solution as far as I'm concerned!

So I knew you had the analysis equipment, but I didn't know it was an LM-1. I guess at the time, I just knew it worked.

I can send it down if you want to play. I'll need it again in May to help my friend tune so lots of time.

I started looking into this because I'm also a data junky. I was looking into a "no-weld" bung to fit the O2 sensor to. I figured on using the O2 sensor's voltage output monitored and logged by a Raspberry Pi. Not sure what I'd do with all the data.

• Like 1

I just pulled the trigger on an MTX-AL. I'm assuming I'll eventually be in the market for something with more features (and a bigger price tag). But for now, baby steps.  LOL

12 hours ago, 240260280 said:

I can send it down if you want to play. I'll need it again in May to help my friend tune so lots of time.

Thanks for the generous offer, but I'll install my simple gauge first and see what happens.

If it were safe to have company right now, I'd be on my way up to spend some time with you. Hopefully soon my friend!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Berk said:

I started looking into this because I'm also a data junky. I was looking into a "no-weld" bung to fit the O2 sensor to. I figured on using the O2 sensor's voltage output monitored and logged by a Raspberry Pi. Not sure what I'd do with all the data.

Easy for me to say, but the monitoring and logging of the sensor output sounds like a relatively easy ordeal. What I don't know anything at all about is how to deal with the heating element.

I figured on using the O2 sensor's voltage output monitored and logged by a Raspberry Pi.

I had the exact same thought - then time and life got in the way ;)

I just pulled the trigger on an MTX-AL

You won’t regret it!

10 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I just pulled the trigger on an MTX-AL. I'm assuming I'll eventually be in the market for something with more features (and a bigger price tag). But for now, baby steps.  LOL

Thanks for the generous offer, but I'll install my simple gauge first and see what happens.

If it were safe to have company right now, I'd be on my way up to spend some time with you. Hopefully soon my friend!

Looking forward to it!  Hopefully soon... let's hope this crazy Mink-Mutated Coronavirus out of Denmark is not going to be a wrench in the works.

• Like 1

Looking forward to it!  Hopefully soon... let's hope this crazy Mink-Mutated Coronavirus out of Denmark is not going to be a wrench in the works.

Off topic alert - honestly who in this day and age allows mink farming!? I though the fur trade was illegal these days.