IGNORED

Starting Carb Conversion: Flat Tops to Paltechs

Dadsun

I'm in Louisiana. I would think if I were in Canada the coolant (heating) lines going through the manifold would be more important.  This other topic has several folks voting to keep the lines flowing, however, due to keeping temps from getting too uneven in spots.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting very close to the finish line. 

I sometimes, on projects like these, wake up and think about things I've forgotten... Like whether the throttle linkage arm is the same length on both flat tops and round tops setups. Alas, they are not. :-(. Looks like my flat tops arm is an inch or two short for this project.

My options seem to be to (a) make an extension, or (b) keep looking for one. 

PXL_20210102_203948845.jpg

In the meantime, here are some pics....

PXL_20201229_001150138.jpg

PXL_20201228_203946338.jpg

Edited by Dadsun

Right. When you switch to the 240 style balance tube, you'll find that your old shepherds hook is too short.

Not the most beautiful thing in the world, but you can cut your original in the middle-ish and weld on a piece of tubing to take up the gap. Here's one from a 74 260 as an example. I believe they changed the pivot mechanism that mounts to the firewall and the shepherds hook design between 73 and 74, so yours won't look like this. But the concept is the same:

Extendo mod used on a 74 that switched to a 240 balance tube:
P1130599.JPG

And here's a pic after the welding is done and cleaned up a little and installed. Note the newer design throttle linkage pivot on the firewall. Seen on the right side of this pic:

P1130600.JPG

So I don't know if the newer design pivot will bolt right up to your firewall, but if it does, you could switch to that and a longer shepherds hook from a 280 or ZX.

Many different ways to lengthen the linkage, so whatever works easiest for you.

If you take a good pic of the piece that mounts to the firewall, I'll snap one of the later version. If it looks like the new one will swap over as a bolt-up, I've got one here and a longer shepherds hook that I could part with. You could just bolt that in and go. I'll snap a pic of that if I get a chance and you're interested.