IGNORED

Is one carb missing a linkage?

It sounds like either someone put the linkage together wrong on that carb and it's binding up, or your nozzle is just stuck frozen in place.

If you take out that little screw (the really chewed up one) out of the bottom of the nozzle and completely separate the nozzle from the linkage... Can you pull the nozzle out then, or is it still stuck?

The nozzle is still stuck after disconnecting the linkage. 
Something els I noticed is that I can twist the nozzle and the thumb screw (adjuster?) and the hex closest to the carb body will all twist. On the carb with the nozzle that moves, only the nozzle will twist, the thumb screw and hex stay where they are. 
If that makes any sense at all...

11 hours ago, Cooper260z said:

The nozzle is still stuck after disconnecting the linkage. 
Something els I noticed is that I can twist the nozzle and the thumb screw (adjuster?) and the hex closest to the carb body will all twist. On the carb with the nozzle that moves, only the nozzle will twist, the thumb screw and hex stay where they are.

Yeah, there's something wrong with that whole nozzle assembly. With that little screw out, the nozzle should slip freely in and out inside the alignment nut. The get corroded and stuck sometimes, or maybe the whole thing is so badly misaligned that it's jammed up against the needle inside the carb. That bottom assembly should not spin. There's something wrong down there.

So what's the history of these carbs? It sounds like someone who really didn't know what they were doing had them in pieces and didn't do a good job of putting them back together. (Sorry if that was you.....)

I got these carbs from a guy that said they ran great, and in fact said that he had a mechanic friend that used to work on his Z that really knew what he was doing... guess I’ll just play with them and see what I can get to happen before I either get different ones and have them rebuilt 

12 hours ago, Cooper260z said:

How intuitive! I’m sure that system has never failed anyone...

Well no problem. If you have a better idea of what to do go for it. I was just trying help. Those are 20 year old carbs that worked perfectly until I blew out a seal. So I had new seals and bearings put in by the company that sold them to me 20 yrs ago. Came back beautiful and started right up on the first try. All Good here.

Edited by 7tooZ

It just seems like the bar could break if they took too much bending back and forth to tube. But if it works, it works. 

I was able to get the nozzle free after taking it apart and playing with it for a bit. It was just gummed up and stuck. 
Im still missing one of those bars that pops the butterfly open but I think I’ll still install the carbs and see how they work. I’m hoping starting and warming the engine won’t be too hard only missing a one piece of the choke system as long as I help it a bit with the pedal