IGNORED

240z running rough

rosaaen89

i did try that on the first fuel pump and it didn’t work but maybe it was because of the gas can i was using wasn’t full enough. i’m thinking of just dropping the tank and seeing if it’s clogged up. is it best to drain it first into a gas can or bucket ?

Read over this, great pictures to look at too. You'll get the jest of it but 240s have a lot of evap hoses you must deal with. And if you can't/won't read it use a clear storage tub from Walmart to drain the tank. They have their Christmas stuff out now so you could get one for cheap.

https://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuel/gastank/index.htm

4 hours ago, rosaaen89 said:

i did try that on the first fuel pump and it didn’t work but maybe it was because of the gas can i was using wasn’t full enough. i’m thinking of just dropping the tank and seeing if it’s clogged up. is it best to drain it first into a gas can or bucket ?

Using my experience have dropped the tank three times on my 71. Definitely empty the tank you will be surprised what it takes to get it out. Sounds like your was out not long ago so hoses should be easier to get off.  

44 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

Using my experience have dropped the tank three times on my 71. Definitely empty the tank you will be surprised what it takes to get it out. Sounds like your was out not long ago so hoses should be easier to get off.  

yes the previous owner said that he had the tank sealed, exterior of the tank is coated in some black stuff. i don’t know how long ago it was done but i know he told me the car has been sitting for a year or more since it was sputtering the way it was. b

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Read over this, great pictures to look at too. You'll get the jest of it but 240s have a lot of evap hoses you must deal with. And if you can't/won't read it use a clear storage tub from Walmart to drain the tank. They have their Christmas stuff out now so you could get one for cheap.

https://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuel/gastank/index.htm

thank you for the link that helps. i don’t have a car ramps but i’ll jack it up and throw some stands underneath. is there a way to clean it out somewhat quickly ? i heard people taking it to a car wash and pressure washing out is that enough ? i just don’t wanna order any products and don’t necessarily want to seal it if the previous owner did. i just want it cleaned out good if there’s some junk in there 

Just a couple minor comments.

The stock fuel filter from MSA is designed to not back drain to the tank when the car is off. The inlet goes at least halfway up the wall and the outlet goes almost to the bottom.

Don't know what replacement fuel pump you put in, but there's been an awful lot of chatter about some bad fuel pumps in this thread;

5 minutes ago, w3wilkes said:

Just a couple minor comments.

The stock fuel filter from MSA is designed to not back drain to the tank when the car is off. The inlet goes at least halfway up the wall and the outlet goes almost to the bottom.

Don't know what replacement fuel pump you put in, but there's been an awful lot of chatter about some bad fuel pumps in this thread;

i’m not sure what brand the previous owner put in before i got it but it’s a cheaper one i’m sure. i put in a delphi one. i think i have the stock fuel filter so maybe i’ll reinstall that as well. before i put this pump in i could prime the system and get it to run and it would run/drive and idle as long as i wanted it to until i shut it off and let it sit. now i can’t get it to start up but i also replaces the fuel lines from tank to hard lines with 3/16 on the return side. before it had 1/4 or 5/16 would that make a difference at all?

so i dropped tank washed it out , going to run acetone through it then rinse out few dimes wife water and baking soda. 

might be a dumb question but if one of the vent hoses was broken would that keep it from having good fuel pressure in the system?  reason i ask is because one was the original braided hose and brittle and was already basically broke in two 

Those hoses go to the evap tank in the hatch. Some people completely remove them so no the brittle hose wouldn't cause a problem on the fuel delivery.

You have the steps mixed up. The soda and water kills the acid. The denatured alcohol evaporates the soda and water before you apply the coating. I would wash it out with water if your not going to recoat then pour a quart of denatured alcohol in and slosh it around, drain that out and put a leaf blower in the big hole to dry it. Take pictures down the big hole and post them up. 

*Neutralizes the acid*

Edited by siteunseen