IGNORED

1975 280z 2+2 will not start

iscnetwork

Update...

Took out ignition switch, continuity between battery connection and everything BUT resistor work.   (So I now know why the MSD. This wire is disconnected when a MSD is installed.)  So I have new switch ordered.

I still have no juice to the solenoid (yellow wire).

Where is the Interlock Relay located?  and what does it look like?  [Guessing that its connections are dirty or relay is bad.]

Thanks to everyone.

Sorry to digress, Ing module for 75 280 . Also be careful with the carparts manul as it covers several years. 75 has only one fuse link box and the manual shows two.

I have a 75 and it 's different than the 76 in many ways. Do you still need a photo of coil and resistor wiring?

75-IM.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iscnetwork said:

Update...

Took out ignition switch, continuity between battery connection and everything BUT resistor work.   (So I now know why the MSD. This wire is disconnected when a MSD is installed.)  So I have new switch ordered.

I still have no juice to the solenoid (yellow wire).

You should still have power to the coil with the key on, through the ignition module.  The ignition nodules are known to get wet.  Seems like you're making progress.

image.png

• Like 1

Yes I am making progress  with my Z.

Thanks so much for the "car manual's link" I am guessing I have whole lot of reading ahead.  Thanks for the warning about 75 & 76.  I notice the dual fuseable link boxes next to each other right off the bat since I was inside of my box to make sure the links were good.

I found a mistake on the wiring diagram here (at least on my car in the areas that look 'factory')

The red/white wire going to the resistor is black/white same as the trunk line.  

If you can get me a picture of your '75's coil / resistor area that would be great!

I greatly appreciate everyone's helps. 

[I would have never expected to park a car and it all goes haywire.]

I wouldn't focus on the resistor yet.  You haven't found the main wires from the harness that supply the resistor with power.  And the wire that supplies the yellow start wire.  

I'd go back to the ignition switch and follow the wires through the connectors.  You're looking at the wrong end of the circuit, I think.

• Like 1

I'm working on 2 things at once as I find parts bad and waiting on new ones. 

I am removing the MSD & getting power to the solenoid.

Thanks for the pictures of the coil & resistor.  My wiring there was butchered for the MSD.  IF you are looking down at the resistor are the 2 right wires the ones connected to the coil?