IGNORED

First start today!

rcv

4 minutes ago, rcv said:

Yup it’s gas. I tried my old floats/valves/lid combos from my original carbs and got the same basic results. I’m beginning to think maybe my adjustment factor is off?

These are 4-screw carbs if that makes any difference. 

Okay the 4 screws are the same length front and rear. No stacking washers.

Well if it’s not one thing it’s another. 

I got the floats looking ok-ish and reinstalled them in the car.  Turned the key and nothing.  I pulled the line from the bowl inlet and turned the key to make sure the pump was at least working, and got nothing out of the fuel line.  So, it looks like my brand new mechanical pump is dead now. 

The bad news is that I disconnected the input line to the pump and sucked some fuel through my Mighty Vac and what came out looked like a nice aged scotch. I had drained and refilled the tank about two weeks ago, so this must mean that the inside is absolutely disgusting and some of that nastiness must have peeled off and caused an aneurysm in my pump. I was avoiding dropping the tank, but it looks like that was a bad move. 

Looks like I’ll be dropping the tank next weekend and getting it cleaned out. What a day. 

38A10F72-63B5-418F-9947-BD18ACD346F9.jpeg

• Sad 1

I pulled off my fuel tank today and dropped it off at a shop to get cleaned out and then have some Red Kote applied to the inside, and black paint applied to the outside.   It should be done in a week or two.  I'm also going to order some new stainless lines etc so I can actually do this thing right.  Hopefully I'll be back to messing with the floats in a month.  

I also ordered some of that Hormel Dried Beef on Amazon for when I get back to calibrating the float levels.  Any recipe recommendations @siteunseen or should I just feed it to the dog?

• Haha 1

Here's what I do.

Dried beef coated with cream cheese.

Spear cut dill picles laid on top.

Roll it up like a cigarette or doobie, whatever you kids are into these days.

Cut them into 1" sections. Serve cold with bloody Mary's.

You will be remembered forever as the guy that has good get-togethers. Party on Wayne!

pickle-roll-up-recipe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I still haven’t gotten my tank back, but I ordered a set of Float Syncs from @Randalla and spent an hour or so getting a “static” float level.  The float syncs are really nice and made it a snap to get the levels set. 

I used a small squirt bottle to pour fuel into the input line with a funnel, and then just rotated the float sync to drain it back out into my bottle to reset.  Really interested to see how well the “static” float level corresponds to the levels when the engine is actually running.

46856903-8B3E-4241-9A5C-BF0C61C5612D.jpeg
85BB0A91-0754-44FD-8995-345A17ECBFDD.jpeg

D0401494-6CC6-4DF5-AB4C-03FE11E586C8.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been almost a month since my last update.  The fuel tank is back in, and besides a quick adventure with a blown heater hose I've still been struggling with this damn fuel system.  It looks like I've just had my second mechanical fuel pump quit on me in a month.  It seems like everyone has had some issues with these reproduction pumps, but two in a month sounds like very bad luck.  My first though was that my return line was plugged and putting too much backpressure on the pump, but I was able to blow through the return without too much resistance.  Can anyone think of what else could be causing these pumps to die, or is that just how it goes with these pumps?

I'm strongly considering just biting the bullet and going with an electric pump (probably this K&N one) unless someone wants to talk me out of it.