dmuzial

Small bolt extraction advice

Hey Guys, 

Any tips for extracting one of the small 10mm bolts for holding on the emergency brake cable? Snapped one today. Not sure if I can get an easy-out in there since it is so small. 😞

IMG_20200915_233038_215.jpg ():

Sorry to see this, but if any consolation we’ve all been there with one bolt or another. File / grind flat with a dreamt if access is tight, mark centre as best as you can. Start with a drill 3 sizes down - ideally a reverse action drill set.

This is what I use to good effect ...

https://www.drillallsales.com/product-page/left-handed-reverse-action-drill-bits

The heat from the drilling and some self penetrating oil, I have found releases the thread and it unscrews itself on the drill bit. But failing that you may get to one size down and use a tap and die set. On the tap I find, the thread usually comes out.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Wait! Don't cut the stub off! First thing to try would be penetrating oil, some heat, and grabbing that stub with a pair of pliers. If you cut it off, you'll lose that opportunity. Wiggle it back and forth. If you can get it to move at all, you're pretty much home free.

And you've got another advantage in that it's not a blind hole. You have access to both side. Is there any bolt length sticking out the other side?

And what is the base piece made out of? Is it steel or aluminum?

• Like 2

I would get some Kroil like Yarb recommended then try what captain obvious recommended.

Personally Ive had more luck welding a nut onto the stud and using a impact to taking them out. The heat helps it break out. I also have this metric stud removal tool that I've used ..... but sometimes i just look for excuses to get the welder out.

• Like 1