IGNORED

240ZBUILTBYME 1971 240z HS-001063 Project Sheena

240ZBUILTBYME

Welcome, the guys on here are a fantastic resource and it seems like many of them have forgotten more about these cars than most will ever know! Curious on the manufacture date? Looking at your car it has series 1 seats and console with throttle and choke, but the tool bins are in the back floor and the body vents are on the rear pillars along with a 280Z hood (or would that be a 260 in the rest of the world). I guess these things could be different for ROW RH drive cars.

Congrats on the kid and another on the way, the Z will be good for that too. "Kids in the back seat cause accidents, accidents in the back seat cause kids". Looks like your taking the back seat out of the equation.  ?

Wilkes

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, w3wilkes said:

Welcome, the guys on here are a fantastic resource and it seems like many of them have forgotten more about these cars than most will ever know! Curious on the manufacture date? Looking at your car it has series 1 seats and console with throttle and choke, but the tool bins are in the back floor and the body vents are on the rear pillars along with a 280Z hood (or would that be a 260 in the rest of the world). I guess these things could be different for ROW RH drive cars.

Congrats on the kid and another on the way, the Z will be good for that too. "Kids in the back seat cause accidents, accidents in the back seat cause kids". Looks like your taking the back seat out of the equation.  ?

Wilkes

hahaha Thanks Wilkes, excited for the little one but worried about how much time it will take away from my project. will work it out

to be honest I don’t know how anyone ever restored a car without forums! The knowledge of a lot of the members is unreal and without them most of the novices (including myself) would struggle, so I thank my lucky stars for the wonders of the interwebs! 

Yes my car is a bit of a Frankenstein! So my chassis is a series 2 I believe being a early 71 according to the vin research I have done. Can’t comment on seats but highly likely they were added in. Bonnet is a 260z I believe, Tbh im not sure what happened with the 280z here as I have never seen one advertised before, you may be right that they just came out as 260z’s. My engine is a L20 and my gearbox may be a 260z which was added in or my car was originally an automatic. As I’ve read that gearstick impacting on trans tunnel could be caused by both auto chassis or 260z gearbox in 240z. 

I’m kind of glad that I don’t have an original unmolested matching numbers car as then I would feel compelled to preserve it and do an original resto. With my Frankenstein I don’t feel so bad turning it into exactly what I want. A mildly modded faster than stock, better handling,  originalish looking 240z! ?

Ryan

Edited by 240ZBUILTBYME

On 9/17/2020 at 10:11 PM, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Looks like you have plenty to do Ryan. The rust will clearly be a challenge, but it isn't an impossible task. The rust on the firewall and roof will be the biggest challenge, as there isn't replacement panels available. Fabricating the needed parts will challenge your creative abilities for sure.   

I see you are taking a methodical approach, and planning things well. Your videos are nicely done too. For photos, you can create a Flickr account, upload you r images there, then post them anywhere using the hotlink feature. Free Flickr accounts are limited to 1,000 photos, the unlimited "Pro" account is around $60 US (cheap). A great way to host and share your pictures.

I think it is awesome that there are younger guys like you taking an interest in the first gen Z car. You will ensure these cars will be around for many years to come.

Looking forward to following your progress!

Cheers,

Racer

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Racer X said:

Looks like you have plenty to do Ryan. The rust will clearly be a challenge, but it isn't an impossible task. The rust on the firewall and roof will be the biggest challenge, as there isn't replacement panels available. Fabricating the needed parts will challenge your creative abilities for sure.   

I see you are taking a methodical approach, and planning things well. Your videos are nicely done too. For photos, you can create a Flickr account, upload you r images there, then post them anywhere using the hotlink feature. Free Flickr accounts are limited to 1,000 photos, the unlimited "Pro" account is around $60 US (cheap). A great way to host and share your pictures.

I think it is awesome that there are younger guys like you taking an interest in the first gen Z car. You will ensure these cars will be around for many years to come.

Looking forward to following your progress!

Cheers,

RaceR

Cheers racer! I often look at how much work is ahead of me and feel a bit overwhelmed! Literally every part of the car needs to be renewed! But I am not in a rush and I want to do things properly. 

Yes I’m not too fussed about the panels I can get replacements for, like you say the roof and cowl/firewall is the major worry. I may outsource this work.

thanks for the feedback on the vids. Plan to keep improving quality.

cheers for the tips on the photos I’ll look into it.

I was in love with 90’s Japanese sports cars as a teen, as I grew a bit older I developed a love for classic cars too, bit of an old soul ? so why not combine the two! 240z in my mind is the original Japanese sports car, was just very lucky to buy this car a decade ago for what now seems like a very cheap price. And as you say want to save this car for future generations to appreciate and enjoy. 

Cheers Ryan 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

@Racer X, regarding firewall replacement panels, there is a guy in the UK making them. He goes by Auto Panel Solution and can be found on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/Auto-Panel-Solutions-418351785395614/

Here is the firewall he makes, lucky for @240ZBUILTBYME it's even for RHD

65908469_449707258926733_727375277335773184_n.jpg

Cheers Cantech yeah auto panel solutions out of the uk makes some of the panels no one else does, I haven’t looked at pricing though. Don’t think  I’ll need the whole firewall, may get away with patches. We’ll see, is handy it’s RHD though!  I’m looking at getting his rear valance section. 

10 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

@Racer X, regarding firewall replacement panels, there is a guy in the UK making them. He goes by Auto Panel Solution and can be found on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/Auto-Panel-Solutions-418351785395614/

Here is the firewall he makes, lucky for @240ZBUILTBYME it's even for RHD

65908469_449707258926733_727375277335773184_n.jpg

Do they make  left hand drive version?

So little update but I’m excited about this one! My car didn’t have an oem steering wheel, I know.... who the hell doesn’t want the oem steering wheel?! It’s gorgeus! Was looking into steering wheels and was interested in the jdm comp steering wheels msa sell, after talking to a few people who didn’t like them, it didn’t seem worth the amount of money + shipping costs. So after looking at the prices of oem wheels in the US and picking my jaw up off the ground....I managed to source a pre loved oem steering wheel from my local z guy! For a very reasonable price too! 

Here it is! Little rough, but with a bit of TLC should come out nice! 

5BB273C6-40F9-4D54-9904-55E64B614445.jpeg

Ryan 

Edited by 240ZBUILTBYME
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...