IGNORED

240ZBUILTBYME 1971 240z HS-001063 Project Sheena

240ZBUILTBYME

26 minutes ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Thanks X

That sounds like good advice, I will remember that one, initially I tried to weld it with the frame upright but was blowing holes like a dolphin...

Hey Ryan - I post my stuff on zclub.net (I'm in the UK) and lurk around on here. Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying the videos and work you're doing. I'm renovating a '73 HLS30 and, like yourself, it's my first time doing any of this stuff and totally agree with you: how on earth did people manage before forums?! As a nod to my US cousins, this site is extremely good with so much great information and advice.

I just bought some panels from KFvintageJDM and I'm super impressed but I'll guess we'll see how things go as I'm just.starting on replacing the floor. I also just built @ConVerTT's fantastic jig design and I'm so pleased with it. My welds are nowhere near as good as yours though as I fell into the traps that you enumerate above and blew holes in numerous places! Still, it seems very solid though.

Keep up the great work and looking forward to following along!

Jon.

1 hour ago, tyroguru said:

Hey Ryan - I post my stuff on zclub.net (I'm in the UK) and lurk around on here. Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying the videos and work you're doing. I'm renovating a '73 HLS30 and, like yourself, it's my first time doing any of this stuff and totally agree with you: how on earth did people manage before forums?! As a nod to my US cousins, this site is extremely good with so much great information and advice.

I just bought some panels from KFvintageJDM and I'm super impressed but I'll guess we'll see how things go as I'm just.starting on replacing the floor. I also just built @ConVerTT's fantastic jig design and I'm so pleased with it. My welds are nowhere near as good as yours though as I fell into the traps that you enumerate above and blew holes in numerous places! Still, it seems very solid though.

Keep up the great work and looking forward to following along!

Jon.

Thanks Jon! I’m really enjoying producing the videos, it takes a bit of extra time when working and time to edit them but if I can keep it up I will hopefully have my own personal 240z documentary at the end! 

That’s awesome we are not far off one another! Will have to bounce off one another. What’s your username on zclub? Have you got a build thread? This site is really amazing for info and guidance, 90% of the S30s are in the USA so I figure it’s got to be the most comprehensive forum with possibly the most experienced z enthusiasts.

KFVintageJDM panels are awesome but like you I will have to see what the fit is actually like before I can really say. 

Haha of course I posted the prettiest welds Jon! There were some shockers don’t worry! 

Yeah @ConVerTT is a DIY god! We are but mere mortals in his presence lol I’ll pm you with some questions on the jig. I sent Kent a pm but he must be out living his best life instead of lurking through build threads like me....

thanks so much for your encouraging words Jon 

Ryan 

5 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

In this one I edge ever closer to having the complete shell stripped....

Another great video Ryan, thanks for posting. Nice to see your hatch hinge seals came out in good shape. For cleaning those up I plan to use a Kleen-Flo product called Honey Goo Holistic Rubber Care. It's mainly for weather stripping but works well on softening most rubber parts like marker light and tail light seals as well as floor plugs and grommets etc. I sprayed this stuff liberally on the firewall grommets for hoses and electrical before removal and it worked wonders on these 50 year old rubber bits.

20191102_093120cr.jpg

http://www.kleenflo.com/products/809.html#:~:text=Honey-Goo Holistic Rubber Care,for that new look shine.

Nice that the handbrake cable assembly came out so easily for you. Mine was a *itch getting those cable clips off, you made it look so easy. Although I must say I did it the hard way by not removing the rear axle and diff assembly first. LOL

Cheers, Mike

Edited by CanTechZ

5 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Another great video Ryan, thanks for posting. Nice to see your hatch hinge seals came out in good shape. For cleaning those up I plan to use a Kleen-Flo product called Honey Goo Holistic Rubber Care. It's mainly for weather stripping but works well on softening most rubber parts like marker light and tail light seals as well as floor plugs and grommets etc. I sprayed this stuff liberally on the firewall grommets for hoses and electrical before removal and it worked wonders on these 50 year old rubber bits.

Nice that the handbrake cable assembly came out so easily for you. Mine was a *itch getting those cable clips off, you made it look so easy. Although I must say I did it the hard way by not removing the rear axle and diff assembly first. LOL

Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike! 

With my hatch hinge seals the rhs did but I couldn’t get the LHS out without damaging it, depending on cost I will most likely replace these but thanks for the hot tip! I’ll keep in mind for other rubber parts I might be keeping, there’s not many to be honest as my car was not loved like yours was! And the Australian summers are hot and dry so rubber perished quickly. 

With those cable clips I found the only way was to use vice grips. Same with the soft brake line clips.

Ryan

9 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Thanks Jon! I’m really enjoying producing the videos, it takes a bit of extra time when working and time to edit them but if I can keep it up I will hopefully have my own personal 240z documentary at the end! 

Yeah, stuff like that takes quite a long time to do but as long as it's not becoming a stressor for you then please keep on doing it!

That’s awesome we are not far off one another! Will have to bounce off one another. What’s your username on zclub? Have you got a build thread? This site is really amazing for info and guidance, 90% of the S30s are in the USA so I figure it’s got to be the most comprehensive forum with possibly the most experienced z enthusiasts.

My username is the same on there - 'tyroguru' and my build thread is titled "240Z resurrection" - https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/240z-resurrection.25856/ . I only get time at the weekends to work on the car and then it depends what the other half has planned for me so progress can be very slow but for me it's the journey rather than the destination. I love learning skills and buying tools so I'm happy to take my time.

As you say, the US has so many of these cars that it's not surprising that there is so much expertise and information coming out of there. I think that the Japanese scene is pretty great for info as well but not much at all is in English and I think learning Japanese just to read car related material would probably a step too far for me (although I think that would show who's *really* dedicated to their cars 😂 ).

KFVintageJDM panels are awesome but like you I will have to see what the fit is actually like before I can really say. 

I cut the passenger side floor plan out today <gulp> and for a n00b like me it's a big step as it really means I've got to fit that floor in! I've trial placed the new floor in and it does seem to be an extremely good fit in size and contours especially along the transmission tunnel. Hopefully the only cutting I've got to do is on the transmission tunnel but now I've got to decide where I cut it (how far up the tunnel)!. I'll need to ponder that one...

Haha of course I posted the prettiest welds Jon! There were some shockers don’t worry! 

Yeah @ConVerTT is a DIY god! We are but mere mortals in his presence lol I’ll pm you with some questions on the jig. I sent Kent a pm but he must be out living his best life instead of lurking through build threads like me....

lol. Probably busy out enjoying his cars! Sure, feel free to PM me as I'd love to chat about anything to do with the Z - I've got so much to learn so great to speak to anyone else who's into this stuff.

thanks so much for your encouraging words Jon 

Ryan 

2 hours ago, tyroguru said:

My username is the same on there - 'tyroguru' and my build thread is titled "240Z resurrection" - https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/240z-resurrection.25856/ . I only get time at the weekends to work on the car and then it depends what the other half has planned for me so progress can be very slow but for me it's the journey rather than the destination. I love learning skills and buying tools so I'm happy to take my time.

I cut the passenger side floor plan out today <gulp> and for a n00b like me it's a big step as it really means I've got to fit that floor in! I've trial placed the new floor in and it does seem to be an extremely good fit in size and contours especially along the transmission tunnel. Hopefully the only cutting I've got to do is on the transmission tunnel but now I've got to decide where I cut it (how far up the tunnel)!. I'll need to ponder that one...

lol. Probably busy out enjoying his cars! Sure, feel free to PM me as I'd love to chat about anything to do with the Z - I've got so much to learn so great to speak to anyone else who's into this stuff.

I checked out some of your thread last night Jon, your goals seem to have changed since you first got the car! I think it’s a good decision to go the ground up resto. But I have to say the zclub forum website sucks! Won’t even let you view photos unless you’re a member!!! Might have to join just to follow your build.... 😝 Like you I am time poor and the car is not at my place so I only work on it one day a fortnight as I work 1 week on site out bush, then have 1 week off. 

It’s definitely intimidating taking on the bodywork with no experience, but if we go slow and use the knowledge of the veteran z restorers I think we can achieve success. Look forward to watching your floor replacement as that will be first cab off the rank for me once my car is blasted. 

Ryan 

Completed the next frame which attaches to the gearbox support mounts in the trans tunnel. Drilled out the bolt holes and made sure it fit before welding onto the rest of the frame. My welding is getting better and quicker. But still slow as... this took me 5 hours including drilling.   Came out square so I’m happy!

next time I hope to finish the last 2 frames...

C5D7B80D-9F48-45C4-A32C-6949828DAACE.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Patcon said:

Welding is slow work, that's why it costs so much to pay someone to repair a rusty Datsun!

You're making good progress!

It sure is slow work! Takes time to get it right. Yeah I haven’t even done any panel work yet but can tell it’s going to be super time consuming. 

Thanks mate! 

• Like 1

So finally finished the teardown.... took about a year.... my teachers always said I was slow....

now comes the hard part...

check out the blu tack repairs toward the end...(don’t know what you call it in the rest of the world....it’s the stuff you use to stick your 240z posters on your wall?)  

Ryan

Edited by 240ZBUILTBYME
  • Like 2