• V6 twin-turbocharged engine
  • Dual exhaust
  • 19-inch alloy wheels
  • Modern sports car cockpit
  • Bespoke yellow accents
  • Iconic Z triple-meter gauge
  • Six-speed manual transmission

Z Proto Design

Pure sports car proportions. Long hood, short rear deck and wheels pushed out to the corners. The Nissan Z Proto stays true to its DNA while adding a modern twist to its iconic styling cues.

I kinda like it.  The front fascia / grill is classic 240.  Take off the bumpers, put on a front spoiler, and that's what you have; that reverse angle snark nose with a gaping, square grill.  It was ugly then and it's iconic now!  The tail lights come straight from the 300ZX, actually the whole rear end.  And it's shaved; just how I like my women!

• Like 2

Alphonso said something during the presentation that I have been saying for a while. The original Z was successful because it was more than just another sporty car. It has a practical side (that I put to good use stuffing mine with all sorts of tools, clothes, camera equipment, etc. for the trip to ZCON) that made it where it could be your only car (if you didn't have kids). I'm hoping there is plenty of that in the new Z.

I agree. My then-girlfriend and I car-camped around the Olympic Peninsula in WA out of a 280Z. There was enough room for a small tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses and a couple of small duffel bags. A car needs a reasonable amount of cargo capacity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 26th-Z said:

It was ugly then and it's iconic now! 

It's still ugly now ? 

This is stolen from a Jalopnik commenter who says he spent 10 minutes on it, and it's definitely an improvement:

image.png

All in all, it's not bad --not at all-- but I can't help but think it presents like a 370z that got a bunch of work done (given the situation at Nissan, that'd make sense). It doesn't jump out as distinctly new and exciting. Can something just be "whelming?" Because this car is very "whelming." If I were shopping for a reasonably priced sports car, I'd put it on my list, but it doesn't make me want something I didn't before.

• Like 2

It's still ugly now  
This is stolen from a Jalopnik commenter who says he spent 10 minutes on it, and it's definitely an improvement:
image.thumb.png.a0cec1255fea8dece4e0a99f44b043fb.png
All in all, it's not bad --not at all-- but I can't help but think it presents like a 370z that got a bunch of work done (given the situation at Nissan, that'd make sense). It doesn't jump out as distinctly new and exciting. Can something just be "whelming?" Because this car is very "whelming." If I were shopping for a reasonably priced sports car, I'd put it on my list, but it doesn't make me want something I didn't before.

This says it perfectly!!! It’s a desirable car but it lacks the drama of the post I’m quoting below. I do like it but it’s like the sensible choice of a good looking sports car.m at the front.

if only
2018-nissan-z-car-spy-shoot.thumb.jpg.32ae607d913057d9240aec1d6d9e185b.jpg

Now this would make me lust after one.
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, charliekwin said:

It's still ugly now ? 

image.png

Much better....The 'rectangle' grill detracts from the sexy 'curves'.

2 hours ago, AK260 said:

This says it perfectly!!! It’s a desirable car but it lacks the drama of the post I’m quoting below. I do like it but it’s like the sensible choice of a good looking sports car.m at the front.

Now this would make me lust after one.

I agree, If it would be it I’d already be putting a deposit down. As the yellow one showed no...

• Like 1

Given the current state of Nissan, I guess this is the best they could do.

But when I see the black paint on the roof & pillars, the rockers,  and the lower rear bumper to psychologically reduce the visual of the underlying bloated 370 base, it seems they would need to address these with actual structural changes rather than the paint camouflage trickery. 

The crease in the side body looks odd descending from front to back too.  Reversing the slope could make it a little more aggressive/straked.

image.png

Edited by 240260280

I feel a bit sad they didn’t pop the hood and show off the engine bay and make SOME noise about the performance objectives.

If your audience is the enthusiast group they claim to be speaking to, then this should have been included. Maybe there is nothing under there..... 

The shape is pretty good. Except the face. Looks somehow childish or immature, or simplistic? Or something? Could use a bit more work for sure. 

But frankly, in the end, it’s the driving experience that will sell it to me, or not. It will have to evoke a memory of the 240z and just feel “right”, or at home, or something intangible that’s impossible to describe without being there to feel it.  

Maybe having a spritz of “old datsun plastic smell” that hits you when you first open the door and sit down. That would do it. Smell memories are the most powerful.