AZDatsun

Z Proto: The next z reveal

1 hour ago, 240260280 said:

Can you fit a Ghosn in the back?

That would be a "Ghosn in the Machine", wouldn't it?

• Like 1

I like the rear and side views. The front view doesn't do much for me. The hood is too flat; needs more flow lines and needs to look less like a table.

But viewing it in person may give a different impression.

I agree 100% The Z has to remain a stand alone in the Nissan stable.

If there is one positive esthetically, the grill is better proportioned in the concept SUV due to its higher stance.

Here's a review: https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/z-sus-is-just-alright-with-me/

The 240 had an attractive (although useless) bumper that occluded the view of the lower half of the grill. Here's hoping the 400 grill height can be reduced by a 1/3rd to approximate Ante's law of proportions. In the alternative, divide the grill horizontally with a band of chrome or brushed metal.

Cheers,

George

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 7:28 AM, 240260280 said:

Given the current state of Nissan, I guess this is the best they could do.

But when I see the black paint on the roof & pillars, the rockers,  and the lower rear bumper to psychologically reduce the visual of the underlying bloated 370 base, it seems they would need to address these with actual structural changes rather than the paint camouflage trickery. 

The crease in the side body looks odd descending from front to back too.  Reversing the slope could make it a little more aggressive/straked.

image.png

Why not straight like the S30?  I have to say that I hate most news cars today, but this makes me want to go and drive one to see what its about.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 11:41 PM, DatsunZGuy said:

I'm for keeping the new Z fossil fuel burner with an option of a twin turbo

Nissan should learn a lesson from the 2nd gen Acura NSX.  It was intended to be a V-10, but went into production with a V-6 and electric motor assist, losing it's soul in the process.  It's indeed a technical marvel and strong performer on paper but since 2016, less than 2000 have been built.  Not really a marketplace success for a flagship model.

Switching from inline 6 N/A to twin turbo V-6 may be enough to lose her soul. Consider the effect of the superb harmonics of an inline-6. May as well electric assist on acceleration! Much more torque!

Anyways, I would hope that NISMO offer options on rear differentials...411 or BUST!

There ain't no acceleration limit, officer...

tweetyBird.JPG

Edited by reefedjib

I don't believe Nissan has any inline 6 in their inventory (I may be wrong). They're not going to build one for a single low-selling model, and they've used a V6 for years. Any souls to be lost have disappeared long since....

That's why Toyota partnered with BMW on the Supra - they had no inline 6 and BMW had one of the world's best.

If you want an inline-6, better be ready for a BMW engine in your Z.

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

I don't believe Nissan has any inline 6 in their inventory (I may be wrong). They're not going to build one for a single low-selling model, and they've used a V6 for years. Any souls to be lost have disappeared long since....

That's why Toyota partnered with BMW on the Supra - they had no inline 6 and BMW had one of the world's best.

If you want an inline-6, better be ready for a BMW engine in your Z.

Sadly true. I like owning the classics. 350/370 look like a toad. I think Datsun got their original L24 inline-6 from BMW or maybe Porsche design. I forget. How about a 4.4L inline-6, Nissan?

Edited by reefedjib
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, reefedjib said:

Sadly true. I like owning the classics. 350/370 look like a toad. I think Datsun got their original L24 inline-6 from BMW or maybe Porsche design. I forget. How about a 4.4L inline-6, Nissan?

Mercedes Sl300 Engine

image.png

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Mercedes Sl300 Engine

image.png

Yep, I guess Mercedes had this engine. "Mechanical fuel injection..."

[Though many people assumed that the Alloy Gullwing boasted a high-performance engine straight from the factory, it did not. In fact, the high-performance engine offered on the 300SL was available in both body constructions. The 1955 300SL Alloy Gullwing came standard with a 3.0-liter engine with Bosch mechanical fuel injection that produced 215 horsepower at 5,800 rpm and 275 Nm (203 pound-feet) of torque at 4,600 rpm. By today’s standard, that is subpar, but in the 1950s, this was mighty impressive for a 6-cylinder.

This engine mated up with a 4-speed manual transmission that drove power to the rear wheels.

This combination netted the 1955 300SL Alloy a 0-to-60 mph time of around 8.8 seconds and a top speed in the 130 mph range. Both of those numbers are not too bad for the 1950s.]

1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Alloy Gullwing

Thanks!

Edited by reefedjib
formatting

6 hours ago, reefedjib said:

Yup, the story has always been that Nissan copied the classic Mercedes 6 from the 1950's and 60's.  My dad had a 1959 Mercedes 219 (straight 6, overhead cam, single carb) and it looked like a simplified version of the photos above.  That Mercedes engine was a great one, and the Z engine was too.

6 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

Yup, the story has always been that Nissan copied the classic Mercedes 6 from the 1950's and 60's.  My dad had a 1959 Mercedes 219 (straight 6, overhead cam, single carb) and it looked like a simplified version of the photos above.  That Mercedes engine was a great one, and the Z engine was too.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

Mercedes Valve Train 4.png

mercedes-benz_m180.jpg post wwII for 220 mec.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/21/2020 at 11:10 AM, 240260280 said:

mercedes-benz_m180.jpg post wwII for 220 mec.jpg

I think its interesting that some of the people who are evangelical about the similarities between Nissan's L-Gata engine range and the Mercedes M180 OHC engines and descendants are the very same people who want to deny that the L16 and L24 were direct descendants of Nissan's L20 six of 1964/65. 

We also get all the 'Made For The USA' stuff when the Mercedes engines had inlet and exhaust on the opposite side to the L-Gata. 

Funny old world, isn't it?

Weird Alan?  What exactly are you saying?  I never denied anything?  The path from Merc to Nissan is a muddy trail but it IS a trail.

Unless you've signed up to the 'Made For The USA' club, I didn't mean you in particular.

Thanks for clarifying 🙂 

Glad to help.

But you are still under suspicion as a potential enemy collaborator.

LOL....I do have opinions based on "Follow the money" data that point the the USA market for some business, safety, and technical decisions but without being in the shoes of the folks in Japan in the 60's, they are just opinions. They also varies with the components i.e. chassis, engine, suspension, etc.