IGNORED

Just Another Damned Z Car Project Thread

conedodger

On 9/1/2020 at 2:10 PM, conedodger said:

Here is the N42 intake mocked up. I may need a different header as I see the intake and exhaust share studs. Been a long time since I've had a 280Z! 

Also, has anyone mocked up a drawing for a heatshield? I can plasma cut it but it would be easier if I didn't have to duplicate someone's already done work?

IMG_1298.jpg

Just have examples.I can measure something

39AFB931-F221-42B0-BC50-5EDE8F2926B2.jpeg

97CF83A1-38CD-43C2-A7F8-CABFC282A4BF.jpeg

I'm at the point where I need to figure out how I will secure the injectors to the manifold. Since they aren't the original injectors, I can't use the original mounting method, what to do? I had a conversation with my architect son this morning about it, and he asked how it originally mounted. I found an image on the internet and he said, I can 3D model a 2 piece collar that uses the original mount to hold the injector in place.

But first thing first, The injectors do not fit in the stock manifold hole. So, I went to my buddy Rex who is a machine shop manager and a Datsun guy, he will remachine the injector ports to accept the Green Giant injector. The injector has two grooves for o-rings where the injector body enters the intake. I will double them up to make sure there are no leaks.

46 minutes ago, ETI4K said:

Since the fuel rail has to be rigidly mounted anyway, wouldn't it captivate the injectors so they wouldn't need clamping at the manifold ports?

One would think that the fuel rail would do the trick, but...

The Bosch Green Giant injector goes in to the hole but the bore is too small for it to get any further than the entry. Essentially, using just the fuel rail would allow a big vacuum leak without doing this.

Lots of engines use the rail to hold the injectors in place, but all the parts used need to be designed to be used that way.

The holes in the manifold need to be sized correctly for the O-ring on the nose. The holes in the fuel rail need to be sized correctly for the O-ring on the tail. And the distance between the manifold and the fuel rail needs to be correct. If those three things are achieved, there's nothing wrong with using the fuel rail to hold the injectors in place.

Of course... The current engine does none of these. Boring the manifold out to accept the Green Giants, is just one necessary step.