Mike

Siphoning Gas

I found this video tonight and thought it was interesting.  This guy is using a shop vac to blow air into the tank and another hose to pull the fuel out.  And he was using a 73 Z for the video.  ?

• Like 2

Seems easier to just get a Harbor Freight hand pump and throw it out when you’re done...

• Like 1

When I was a teenager, all it took was a section of garden hose, a moonless night and a dependable lookout to get the job done.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DatsunZGuy said:

When I was a teenager, all it took was a section of garden hose, a moonless night and a dependable lookout to get the job done.

Oklahoma credit card.  No offense to Oklahomans, that's just how I learned it.  It's probably wrong...

Use clear hose. You see it before it gets in your mouth. 

We had a fuel tank on a trailer for boat gas we could take to a gas station and fill up. Much cheaper than buying it on the river.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Oh, I've tried the garden hose method...  that first bit of fuel is great for preventing gingivitis.

Initially, it causes a good deal of halitosis... 

• Like 1

But isn't the Z the most excellent automobile from which to siphon gas? There's hardly another that gives you such quick and trouble-free access!

(As a side note - I have to emissions check my 260Z every year here in the Phoenix area. The twits at the emissions station have NO WAY to check my gas cap. I love seeing them take it off, scratch their heads, shrug their shoulders, put it back on, and PASS the gas cap because they can't test it! You have to take joy in life where you can find it...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Gas in the early 70's was not that bad tasting, at least as I remember it.  Once they started putting all the nasty anti smog crap in it no way would I put it into my mouth. 

• Haha 1

On 8/19/2020 at 8:15 PM, siteunseen said:

Use clear hose. You see it before it gets in your mouth. 

use 10 or more feet of it.. then you have plenty of length and see the fuel coming.. it does not matter how long it is as long the end is lower than the part in the tank. even more easy when your car is on the ramp (carlift)