IGNORED

Perplexing "FUEL" light malfunction

dmorales-bello

you may want to use the dimmest bulb and just see if it works as designed when you run low, of better still, if yours it a top loader, I would say just pull it up until you can see the thermistor is not submerged, the see if it works, it should come on brighter in a few minutes. That way you will at least know the system is seeing the change in submerged vs not submerged.

From there you can determine the max brightness to determine if you can live with the bulb #1

Maybe you can say that the dim always on is a way to confirm the system is active if the rest of it works as it should. This is actually a good idea if the dim light is not annoying.

(see "andromeda stain" paper in bell clapper reference for Capt O)

Edited by Dave WM

36 minutes ago, dmorales-bello said:

Thanks for the video once again, Dave. I would think the pot could be used with the lower resistance bulbs. If I were to use it with the higher resistance bulbs they would probably never light up even with the thermistor out of the gas, correct?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Since its adjustable from 0-100 you can use it with any of the bulbs actually just depends on how much resistance you add, less with the high resistance bulb, more with the low resistance bulb.

you just need to adjust the setting to what works. the bulb and the thermistor both vary resistance with heat, the pot is the only thing that once set does not vary.

The pot is just a work around for a system that can not stabilize in to a low current steady state while submerged. There is something fundamentally wrong as is, but at this point its got to be either the performance of the thermistor OR for some reason the gas is not cooling the thermistor as designed. The bulb is the only other variable and with the selection you have to choose from that should not be an issue.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 9:28 AM, Dave WM said:

I can control the horz I can control the vertical

Well that one is easy but you're sure pulling out the stops with the Andromeda Strain reference!! That was a fantastic movie. I saw that movie many moons ago (waves arm), and it scared the craps out of me. And to be honest, I remembered the basic plot and story, but I didn't remember the details of the bell clapper on the teletype. I had to go look that one up!  :beer:

So Dr. Dave,

Can we drop back one last time... Is there any possible way your thermistor is NOT dunked in gasoline at half tank when the light comes on?

I know you verified that the holes allow liquid to enter the sensor. Is there any possibility that the location of the holes is important? Stagnation perhaps?

Does your old thermistor on your original fuel sender unit still work? If so, any thoughts on swapping the two and getting on with life? Want to send me some parts and I'll see what I can do with them?

So Dr. Dave,
Can we drop back one last time... Is there any possible way your thermistor is NOT dunked in gasoline at half tank when the light comes on?
I know you verified that the holes allow liquid to enter the sensor. Is there any possibility that the location of the holes is important? Stagnation perhaps?
Does your old thermistor on your original fuel sender unit still work? If so, any thoughts on swapping the two and getting on with life? Want to send me some parts and I'll see what I can do with them?
Good morning CO! I actually measured the distance from the edge of the tank where the fuel sender fitting is to the fuel surface at half tank (5"). The thermistor is 10" from the sender base so it must be sitting 5" beneath the fuel surface at half tank.
The holes in the ZC Depot thermistor are smaller than those on my original unit. Perhaps they would allow trapped air to escape and fuel to flow in easier if they were twice the diameter (more similar to stock). However, when I ran the bench tests it seemed like water flowed in and out unrestricted.
My original thermistor does not work (registers no resistance) and I would have no problem sending it to you for post mortem study.

7 minutes ago, dmorales-bello said:

2000 BC?

city on the edge of tomorrow (oops forever)..like the use of vacuum tubes..

an accident with a mechanical rice picker....

CO and I spent WAY too much time in front of the idiot box.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1

reminds me of the old joke

Comedians get together every year for a convention. after years of telling and retelling  the same old jokes they start numbering them for convivence.

guy gets up on the stage... says into the microphone #26... a few giggles....#104....some more....then #62... uproar!!! a guy in the crowd says, "man that was a good one" guy next to him says yea, but what about the great timing....

• Like 1

city on the edge of tomorrow (oops forever)..like the use of vacuum tubes..
an accident with a mechanical rice picker....

CO and I spent WAY too much time in front of the idiot box.
I guess I go way back before you guys! LOL. I was thinking of making a bear skin outfit for Raquel Welch in 2000 BC. My mind keeps going back to cutting and sewing, I suppose.