Jeff Berk

License Plate Hunt for '74

I've been searching for an Ohio 1974 license plate to go with my '74 260Z. In Ohio, you can use a historic license plate or an old license plate that matches the year of your car on a historic vehicle.

Right now there is one on e-bay "Z N" as in Z'n or Z'ing

If anyone see something better let me know. I'm looking for something closer to 260Z.

Jeff

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohio-VANITY-License-Plate-Z-N/373003309954?hash=item56d8bad382:g:DygAAOSwnZRefhV9

Make sure you know all the specifics

In South Carolina they dont allow any vanity plates for year of manufacture plates.

Also only certain letters are register able. I can't fully explain but as historic plates get registered they move down the alphabet. When we looked for Codys goon, I almost bought plates that wouldn't have worked. I had to look for a lower letter plate

The perfect period-correct plate is probably hanging on the wall in a dive bar in Steubenville 😉

Posted (edited)

Here is a source but I'm not sure it's who I used

https://www.shoplicenseplates.com/ohio-license-plates

there is a "26 ZR" plate there that might work if you can register it

I believe this is who I used. He annotates which plates are register able or not

http://www.scplates.com/for-sale/South-Carolina

He covers Fl, Ga, SC, NC & Va

Edited by Patcon

I've got 2 '74 Ohio plates with Z in them,

Any interest?

(I'm keeping the one in the middle!) 😀

20200712_062546.jpg

Patcon

I like that 26 ZR. Do you think anyone would notice if I added a "0" in there?

Jeff

Doesn't look like it will fit and they look like raised letters. Might be hard to do well...

17 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Doesn't look like it will fit and they look like raised letters. Might be hard to do well...

Sure it will ; )

260zR.jpg

• Like 1
    • Haha 2

Unfortunately, no. It's a 1973 plate but my car is a 1974 (January I think) so the date is wrong. I purchased it anyways since I could possibly use it as a front plate. 

I'm a bit confused why someone in 1973 would of got a D 260 Z plate since the 260Z wasn't made until 1974.

Posted (edited)
    1 hour ago, Jeff Berk said:

Unfortunately, no. It's a 1973 plate but my car is a 1974 (January I think) so the date is wrong. I purchased it anyways since I could possibly use it as a front plate. 

I'm a bit confused why someone in 1973 would of got a D 260 Z plate since the 260Z wasn't made until 1974.

Probably had nothing to do with a Datsun. The letter/number/letter combination is known as a "field reserve" in BMV lingo. You could reserve the same # year after year. The K 14 Z and K 48 Z plates that I have were my parents plates. The K and the Z are the first and last letters of my last name. The numbers were what was available when my Dad reserved them. This was before vanity plates were available (and cheaper).

Edited by crayZlair
    added more for clarity