IGNORED

New mustache bushing updates?

ToolBoy

Those "sleeves" only came on (to the best of my knowledge) later era 280z mustache bars; like '77 or '78.

On earlier mustache bars there was just the curled around spring steel which the stock bushing was molded into.

These bushings shredded easily.

With the sleeves there was less rubber used so the bushings had better longevity.

The mustache bars with the sleeves I have found have most always had good rubber and have been reusable.

The sleeved bushings look like they were pressed into place during manufacture.

I think maybe because both bushings were integrally designed with the mustache bar, they were never meant to be separately replaced.

Nissan did not offer replacement bushings but they did offer complete mustache bars ( the little rubber/ metal washers were replaceable and available at one point).

1 minute ago, dhp123166 said:

Those "sleeves" only came on (to the best of my knowledge) later era 280z mustache bars; like '77 or '78.

On earlier mustache bars there was just the curled around spring steel which the stock bushing was molded into.

These bushings shredded easily.

With the sleeves there was less rubber used so the bushings had better longevity.

The mustache bars with the sleeves I have found have most always had good rubber and have been reusable.

The sleeved bushings look like they were pressed into place during manufacture.

I think maybe because both bushings were integrally designed with the mustache bar, they were never meant to be separately replaced.

Nissan did not offer replacement bushings but they did offer complete mustache bars ( the little rubber/ metal washers were replaceable and available at one point).

@dhp123166 Good insights, thanks! So a few follow up questions:

• Can the mustache bar on the 240z/260z be retrofitted with the 280z sleeve design? 
  • If not, can the 280z mustache bar be fitted on the 240z/260z? 
  • Are the mustache bar designs different based on differential (e.g. R180 vs R200)
  • If the sleeves individually couldn't be provided, but we could find someone to produce new mustache bars with pressed fittings, would people be willing to pay for the whole assemblage?

38 minutes ago, dhp123166 said:

Not sure that is correct.  Part #29 is the bushing with the sleeve.  It shows up to 6/71 where there is a change, then through all of the following Z's.  (Sorry for the big space, there's an ad stuck in the quote and I can't delete it.)  p.s. the early 240Z's had the solid rubber coated "washer", the scalloped ones came later.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/axle/rear-suspension/29

image.png

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

Follow-up to Zed Head's suggestions yesterday. I scored, pounded over and finally removed much of the rolled in part of the remaining bushing sleeve hoping to create that "gap"  and allow the poly bushing to seat. As it turns out the spacer is still shorter than the overall bushing height (3rd photo) so will require considerable compression to get the washers against that spacer. All the big flat washers that came with poly bushings have same hole I.D. Is one able to reuse the stock washers shown above on the poly bushings? 

Mustache1.jpg

Mustache2.jpg

Mustache3.jpg

2 hours ago, dhp123166 said:

I think they started making for a time, but they stopped about ten years ago. Here is a photo of one and the box with part number.Mustache bar bushing.jpg

Screenshot_20200623-211812.jpg

Screenshot_20200623-211351.jpg

Edited by EuroDat

Just about to do this job - and came across this post by total luck!!!

I bought these on eBay a year ago for £60 - they do come up a few times a year.

15bf6cfe4ecee102b376376e49bb7d3c.jpg&key=7f973b5de619f9dd0c33389dab2ef1677abe63720bf9ac6ce17920229a141595

As for serrated washer, I did this with cutting a tension rod bush about 2-3 years ago and it works well!!!

fd6588c8595dee7b1bacd70e07cbc709.jpgfd6588c8595dee7b1bacd70e07cbc709.jpg

Actually I am tripping on these bushings. I just checked the 10 or so mustache bars i have on hand and they all have sleeves, but they are flat inside the circular aperture of the mustache bar.

When  I saw the sleeve that Toolboy "custom notched" it reminded me of the sleeves I distinctly remember as being sometimes found on late r200 mustache bars.

Later r200 mustache bars had the original sleeve but there was also an extra bit of metal (which if memory serves was also notched or similar) surrounding the bushing so the rubber cylinder had a smaller diameter and the rubber in these was barely damaged when I would happen upon  them.

Edited by dhp123166
  • Like 1

I did a bit of searching and found the thread on the mustache bars where I had downloaded the photos for the 280Z bushes a couple of years back.

The thread was about the bushes and possible alternatives. @kats posted a lot of photos of all the different variations he came accross on page 2.

These is also a tool on page 3 made by a someone back in 2011 to flare the outer ring over the mustache bar

• Like 3

I did a bit of searching and found the thread on the mustache bars where I had downloaded the photos for the 280Z bushes a couple of years back.
The thread was about the bushes and possible alternatives. [mention=2430]kats[/mention] posted a lot of photos of all the different variations he came accross on page 2.
These is also a tool on page 3 made by a someone back in 2011 to flare the outer ring over the mustache bar

That is a superb thread and helped solve the mystery of how to get the bush out!

But what I can’t see and I was hoping was figured out was the alternate bush that is still available. I have NOS ones but what I was wondering is what do you do if you can’t find them but want a rubber bush?

5 minutes ago, AK260 said:

That is a superb thread and helped solve the mystery of how to get the bush out!

But what I can’t see and I was hoping was figured out was the alternate bush that is still available. I have NOS ones but what I was wondering is what do you do if you can’t find them but want a rubber bush?

I know of no alternative for the factory rubber bushing. NOS replacement or poly are your only options, I believe.

• Like 1