IGNORED

Look at my car, tell me what you think.

Cooper260z

@LeonV wow that’s a close vin! I would be interested in a bumper but the budget is tight right now. Too many cars and not enough money kind of thing. I’m sure I’ll need something eventually though, I’ll be sure to ask. 

thanks @grannyknot that’s what I like to hear. I love a good forum community 

@wadelester My dad does body and metal work so I understand what it takes to do that stuff, and I understand that I’d prefer not to. But I could do it, and I’m taking automotive painting at the community college I go to. So given enough time and money, it could get to looking pretty nice.
And the underside of the car looks very nice.The floors are a bit pushed in, but no rust 

B5BA1B82-EF1E-4843-A8EE-E13945CFF222.jpeg

• Like 1

So this car seems very complete and mostly original. Normally my mindset would be to remove the smog equipment, like the air pump and the charcoal canister. But I feel like since everything is there it’s almost kinda sad to take it out. Do these parts even work anymore? Does anyone els need them? Would I get style points for having a cluttered engine bay? I’m undecided so far

On 6/13/2020 at 4:07 AM, wadelester said:

@Cooper260z the underside does look nice.

The underside looks good, yes, but this car was also, - as many many others -  abused on a 2 column, YOU CAN'T LIFT A CAR LIKE THAT!  Sorry but those front lift points should not lift a car there.. (those points can NOT take the whole front car weight)

I use a 4 colomn and always under the axle lift the car. If there is no 4 colomn lift use  or make yourself (!) some bars to lift the car under the axles.. 

Once (a few years ago) a APK (Like an MOT only dutch) technician tried to do this with my perfect nissan 300zxtt and i almost had to kick him in the **** to stop him! It has the same just steel sheet beams there.. and you will ruin the car if you lifted it there for sure! (a nissan 300zxtt weighs 1630 kg..  a lot of pounds haha yeah about 3585 Lbs)  That technician is no longer in that shop.. luckely i ALWAYS stay at the garage that is checking my car..  If i can't? there will be no work on my car!

• Haha 1

As a counter point. I would not be afraid to lift the car the way they did as long as the pad is on the thicker part of the frame rail at the fire wall. Not under the floor or floor rails! Also the pads need to be nice and flat. The cross member is even better but not everyone has access to a four post lift

• Like 1

The only way I will lift my 83 ZX is by the center of the front crossmember behind the oil pan or the differential housing in back. I use the front frame arms as jackstand points and the attachment points for the rear suspension for jackstands in back. I've done this for 30 years of ownership and never bent anything.  I did the same with my 1970 240Z, my 1976 280Z, and my 1982 280ZX. No damage to any of them.

Lifting by the floor pans would incline me to have a totally uncharacteristic moment of rage and CHEW THE arse off the person who tried it. Not acceptable today, tomorrow, or any other time. There are good options that don't cause damage, and it doesn't take a MENSA member to find them.

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Cooper260z said:

Do you have pictures or more specifics on where you lift it so I can do it properly 

Sorry no.. But there are for sure pic's in a user manual ?  

I'm just ending (ahumm...) a restore of a 280zx, a car i would normally not put on a painters lift ( also known as a tire lift, cleaning lift.)  it takes the car up on the 4 jack-up points that are also seen in the service manual you can get here on the forum..

My 280zx is now 41 years old and has had a dinitrol or other anti rust treatment in his early years and i was confident to put it on those small lifts without any damage. but now it's painted i don't put it on those lifts, just a bit scared i crack the paint..  From now on i take it up on my 4 post lift or under an axle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

Lifting by the floor pans would incline me to have a totally uncharacteristic moment of rage and CHEW THE arse off the person who tried it. Not acceptable today, tomorrow, or any other time. There are good options that don't cause damage, and it doesn't take a MENSA member to find them.

I AGREE 100%  

• Like 1