Mike

Nissan 400z Rumors

Is it just because it's next to a bunch of SUV's or does the new Z look a bit smaller and more Supra/BRZ sized?  The Supra is a tiny car in person.  The proportions look pretty good too.  So far, so good IMO.

2 minutes ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Is it just because it's next to a bunch of SUV's or does the new Z look a bit smaller and more Supra/BRZ sized?  The Supra is a tiny car in person.  The proportions look pretty good too.  So far, so good IMO.

It's probably on essentially the same platform as the 370Z. After all, where is the cash to develop a low volume platform? Given that, I would expect the dimensions to be similar to the 370Z. I love the roofline on the new car in the video.

4 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

It's probably on essentially the same platform as the 370Z. After all, where is the cash to develop a low volume platform? Given that, I would expect the dimensions to be similar to the 370Z. I love the roofline on the new car in the video.

Yep, that's exactly what I expect as well, but it appears that they managed to lower the cowl and belt line to make the whole car appear lower.  They could have also played with the overhangs to shorten the car just a bit.  I fully expect the chassis and floor pan to be essentially carryover Z34.  The 350/370 always looked too chunky due to the tall sides.  This car seems to have lost that extra heft.  It likely hasn't lost any weight and is more likely a tad heavier, but it looks smaller and lighter at least.

Roof line, hood profile, headlight 'bucket', soooo similar to my S30, very nice! I sure hope weight is kept in check and pricing reasonable. Supra sized would be awesome but platform probable won't allow for that.  

47053CDA-8915-429E-B0B3-8A144C333596.JPG

They missed the 50th anniversary. 51 is okay if that's the one. I like the look, simple in my opinion. I like the Supra but it's got a lot of BS body lines to me.

2 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I like the Supra but it's got a lot of BS body lines to me.

The Supra is a mess in person.  The whole body is full of fake scoops and cladding.  This car looks much cleaner.  Time will tell if it actually looks good inside and out.  I'm guessing it will drive similar to a 370Z which isn't a bad thing.

There's one for sale about a mile from here. I'm going to get side by side photos when we can get together and post them up on here. It has the quarter window that I don't see on the new Nissan Z but those F35 jet scoops can stay in the air for all I care. Don't get me wrong, I'd take a pink Supra if you offered me one.

19 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

There's one for sale about a mile from here. I'm going to get side by side photos when we can get together and post them up on here. It has the quarter window that I don't see on the new Nissan Z but those F35 jet scoops can stay in the air for all I care. Don't get me wrong, I'd take a pink Supra if you offered me one.

IF, and that's a somewhat medium sized to big "if", I was to get either a 400Z or Supra for a daily driver, a huge factor would be the ability to let me go back to my luddite ways and stir my own gearbox and use a 3rd pedal. Given that the Supra only comes with a slush box (not sure whether or not it has flappy paddles), I am counting on the 400Z, provided I like the overall package. *Sigh* I may have to settle on flappy paddles eventually.

• Like 1

looks less roundie soft looking than the 370z from what you can see, good. the current z looks too much like a punch buggy on steroids. I personally think the mid 90's TT 300zx is the best of them all. A little too busy in the cockpit, but body lines were perfect. I have often thought it would be nice to have one of those 90's era, but I like to work on my cars and that looks like no fun at all.

Edited by Dave WM
    • Like 1

From what I can see, it still has a lot of 370z in it.  I had hopes that it would resemble the S30 but perhaps with fender flairs look that so many people seem to add to their 240z.  I really hoped they would keep the lines of the original S30 rear quarters.  Specifically, that line that runs along side the car.  It looks like that line is gone.  I thought it was going to be a 240 reborn but it looks like what it is.  The next gen 370.

I had hoped a inline 6 would be used, they seem to be coming somewhat back into favor.

Yep, fender bulges but nothing else, no fake scoops, no weird character lines, is what I'm hoping for. Make it 'look' light at the very least. My JDM flares give that aggressive wide stance, although yes helps widen the track a bit. And please please keep the 6 spd manual as an option, or no buy here. The current 350/370 clutch take-up, though, is too high and vague, same as was in my G35.  That needs improvement. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 87mj said:

From what I can see, it still has a lot of 370z in it.  I had hopes that it would resemble the S30 but perhaps with fender flairs look that so many people seem to add to their 240z.  I really hoped they would keep the lines of the original S30 rear quarters.  Specifically, that line that runs along side the car.  It looks like that line is gone.  I thought it was going to be a 240 reborn but it looks like what it is.  The next gen 370.

It would not surprise me to see a lot of the mechanical aspects from the 370Z. It costs a lot of money to develop a platform, and it's difficult to make a business case for a low volume car these days. However, from what I can see from the video, they did blend in some good lines inspired by the original S30.

32 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

I had hoped a inline 6 would be used, they seem to be coming somewhat back into favor.

Very doubtful that you will see a straight 6 from Nissan. The Nissan engineers see a lot of advantages to the V6: compact packaging that gives a better front/rear weight distribution and better aerodynamics (can have a lower nose), less flex in the camshafts (That came from a question I asked at ZCON 2018), etc. Plus, with Nissan being strapped for cash, where would the straight 6 come from? 

I just hope there is no temptation for an I-4 version with or without turbo. (Does anybody remember the 99 concept?)

I guess the RB is too old to bring back, too bad. I-4 yuck that would be bad., I remember the gas monkey 2+2 had one of those, what a waste, I would take a L28 all day over a 4 even a modern tubro one for sound alone.

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

If it doesn't have 3 pedals it's not on my horizon.

I agree but I did get to drive an M3 with paddle shifters and I was blown away how good they feel and fast you can shift.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I'm getting old so a Cadillac car might be my preference.

The Duke!!

theduke.jpg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dave WM said:

I personally think the mid 90's TT 300zx is the best of them all

I agree!

13 hours ago, Dave WM said:

A little too busy in the cockpit, but body lines were perfect. I have often thought it would be nice to have one of those 90's era, but I like to work on my cars and that looks like no fun at all.

If you get one with low miles, you don't need to work in the crowded engine compartment,  the last 13 years (summers) i drove one and besides maintenance (not expensive) all it needed was a masterbrake cylinder revision because of a very small leak i didn't like..

On topic, i like this design (in the video) a lot more!! 

One thing that the teaser lacks if they were going for the retro look is the S30's hood shape.  It looks pretty well flat like the 350Z hood.  It needs the classic Z's center bulge to add some character and interest to an otherwise boring panel.  They got the side profile right, but missed one of the key styling points of the original.

Screenshot 2020-05-29 00.03.58.png

• Like 1

I think they were very boxed-in on the hood length given the extensive reuse of the Z34 body structure.    

And hopefully seats are thin enough with useful height adjustments, ala for a helmeted driver. 

• Like 2