IGNORED

Would like to start a "One of these things is not like the other" forum group. Input?

zKars

2 hours ago, zKars said:

I know, any title will do, this one just resonates with me. It should be something more descriptive for sure.

"Illustrated S30 Parts History".

"Parts History Illustrated"  

"Parts Progression History, Illustrated"

Anyone else?

Let's call the title: "The Search Function"

That way if someone asks about parts you can reply, "Go to The Search Function," or "Find The Search Function"

Without some sort of indexing people will have to search anyway.  Unless the first post is about the 1970 cars and everyone has to wait until 1970 is full to add any more, year by year..

I mentioned post numbers earlier because with post numbers a person could keep a list and go directly to a post.  Just say "go to post XX" it's there.  But the way the forum works now you can't reference a post unless you are actually on that page looking at the post, and you use the little dipod symbol..

The great irony of computers and the Search function is that it lets everything get sloppy.  I don't really have memories anymore I just think of search words.  If I ever lose access to the internet my "effective IQ" will be halved, at least.

Maybe there's a way to tag a post, then use a sort function to sort the posts within a sub-forum.  That would work.  Each post would have a tag, maybe just month and year, to be used to sort the changes.  Of course, a person could search for that month and year and get the same list.

Anyway, just trying to figure out how a separate sub-forum would be different from just s giant thread.

Sorry.  Piling on.  I think that the key to a sub-forum like that would be good instructions to follow for each post.  Each title has to have a month and year in it, to show where it fits.  Then, the Title or Custom sort function can be used.  I've never used it but might.  I assume that the default sort is by date.

image.png

15 hours ago, zKars said:

Others let us know if this is something you'd like to see or contribute to.

My thought is.. all the topics are letters and difficult to find back..

If started a special forum that starts with numbers?  Lets say first YY/MM/DD and partnumber..  or without the DD  Part could be found for a specific month in a year.. 

Just a thought..?

I also wanted to let you know that we do have a database system.  You can see this in action with our "Knowledge Base" under the Resources tab.  I do like this system, however, it will take effort to keep it updated.  The knowledge base is a good start, but it's a bit outdated ATM.  Each database has the capability to use categories just like you guys were mentioning above.

https://www.classiczcars.com/articles/

I can gladly start a forum, or a database, for this project.

FYI, there's also a wiki-style system.  The purpose of the wiki allows everyone to contribute or modify others' entries.  Here's a sample:

https://www.classiczcars.com/wiki/

I like the wiki-style because the system maintains a history of edits.  If a new entry isn't quite accurate, we can revert back to the old one.  Take a quick look and you can test it out yourselves.

m

If I remember right wiki editors have to be approved by the wiki owner.  I think that you're the only allowed wiki editor at this time Mike @Mike

I clicked on the "test wiki entry" link and got a page that looked like your profile page with all of your content. 
Edit - I clicked on the test entry and it opened.  But still no way to add anything. 

I tried to add a comment but nothing happened.  I don't see any way to add to the wiki.

I barely know where Wikipedia information comes from.  I think the people would have to learn about wiki.  Which is like learning Facebook.  Which is like learning Twitter.  Like Instagram.  Tik-tok.  It's an electronic rabbit hole.

Edited by Zed Head

1 hour ago, Mike said:

FYI, there's also a wiki-style system.  The purpose of the wiki allows everyone to contribute or modify others' entries.  Here's a sample:

https://www.classiczcars.com/wiki/

I like the wiki-style because the system maintains a history of edits.  If a new entry isn't quite accurate, we can revert back to the old one.  Take a quick look and you can test it out yourselves.

m

I added some text to the topic Mike started . Worked just fine