IGNORED

280z - Rear Bumper Term and Door Bumper Advice

Muzez

Jumping on this thread, Please forgive me. The first  photo of the sight shield is what I’m attempting to remove. I bought a spot weld cutter from ZCD. Drilled out the first spot weld and the bracket is still attached solid. Can anyone shed some light on this before I attempt the others? Here’s a pic of the first weld I removed and the next weld that I have not attempted.  Appreciate the guidance.   John 

E7A57C9A-6EAE-4A82-BCAE-A61EC090E214.jpeg

92864B5B-4EAF-4D0A-8AE2-A26ED23AF538.jpeg

• Like 1

Jumping on this thread, Please forgive me. The first  photo of the sight shield is what I’m attempting to remove. I bought a spot weld tool from ZCD. Drilled out the first spot weld and the bracket is still attached solid. Can anyone shed some light on this before I attempt the others? Here’s a pic of the first weld I removed.

This is my first attempt removing a spot weld. After looking at my first attempt, I assume the goal is not to drill all the way through. Just enough to remove the weld correct? The bit I’m using is 3/8. Does that seem to large for theses spot welds?

7 minutes ago, Yarb said:

This is my first attempt removing a spot weld. After looking at my first attempt, I assume the goal is not to drill all the way through. Just enough to remove the weld correct? The bit I’m using is 3/8. Does that seem to large for theses spot welds?

If you pay careful attention when drilling, you can tell when you have drilled through the first layer. Sometimes there will be a dark little rust line between sheets.

Yeah, don't drill all the way through if possible.

⅜ should be fine.

Sometimes I use a putty knife or a painters 5 way tool to finish separating layers

• Like 1

Thanks @Patcon, looking back at the pics. I believe there are just two spot welds on the bracket. In the first pic I drilled in the center of the bracket. Creating that large hole. I agree just try to cut through the bracket material only. So 3/8 is not too large for these welds?

Those support tabs on the sight shield have three and one tab even had four not so evenly spaced spot welds. I managed to remove mine without too much damage too it.

I took some photos of mine a while back to help someone with removing the shield.

Another interesting thing about the mounting of this shield is the dimples in the valance on the body. You can see their mark on the photo 2214. They are about 20mm in diameter and 2mm high. Located at every spot weld.

IMG_2214.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

Edited by EuroDat
Typo

1 hour ago, Yarb said:

@EuroDat, Did you use 2 different sized cutters? If so what size did you use?

I used a simple drill bit, but didn't go all the way through. Rolled the drill around while drilling to mill the spot weld away. Then pushing the sight shield up and down until it broke loose.

No photos of that, but I do have some photos of the front 280Z turn signal brackets.

IMG_1082.JPGIMG_1085.JPGIMG_1087.JPGIMG_1792.JPG