IGNORED

Restoration of 71 240z

Clay C

8 minutes ago, wadelester said:

@Clay C It's not fare that you post all your pics at once.  You make it look you rebuilt it all in a week ?

Everything really looks nice...you inspire me to stay focused and get things done on mine.

Thanks for sharing.

What you can accomplish when you neglect your family! You’re right, I should have started the thread earlier. I have been at this since around the 1st of Feb. Also to be fair I’m farming out the body work and the transmission rebuild so I have less to focus on than people like Inline6. That guy is for real! I had a chance to stop by his place to pick up a part a while back and it’s impressive. I’m throwing money at my problems the best I can. 

46 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

Hey love your story. I have question about your engine and the Zstory header in your pictures. Are you planning on running SUs?

Yes. I am getting the Ztherapy carbs and clean euro style balance tube and intake. I read on numerous posts on this site others saying it was the best purchase they made for their car. Honestly after my multiple attempts to make old Aluminum look all pretty again I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to simply trade out my old ugly parts for new shiny stuff. 

A while back I thought it would be a good idea to take the distributor completely apart to "clean" it. I really should have taken more pictures of the internals. I only have 1 spring on my governors which may or may not be correct. I dissasembled the old points plate for more cleaning... I realized that was dumb after. Luckily I found one on the web. I think its all properly back together. It really will be amazing if this car runs when I'm done. I am getting more and more unorganized the further I go along.

IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4351.jpg

IMG_4506.jpg

Transmission guy gave me back my casing to clean up while he builds the internals. $400 and I supplied the kit seemed like a reasonable price for some peace of mind that it will be done correctly. I tried everything to clean it to avoid sandblasting but nothing worked. Not sure what the red stuff is but it's stubborn to get off. Eventually just glass blasted it and washed it very well. Used the Eastwoods Alumabright paint and primer. 

IMG_4508.jpg

IMG_4501.jpg

IMG_4500.jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4497.jpg

Plating turned out fairly well. I'm a newbie and you guys probably know already but the Heat Shield does NOT like to be plated. Its now "ebony". The ends of the dogbone linkage parts turned a chalky pale flesh color. They wire brush clean OK but was thinking about using some pearl fingernail polish to freshen them up unless anyone has another trick.

IMG_4509.jpg

IMG_4510.jpg

IMG_4553.jpg

Edited by Clay C
clairification
  • Like 1

Found a place in Auburn Georgia called "Resurrected Classics" that deals strictly with Z car stuff. Wish I would have found them earlier as they have a ton of "roller" cars out front. They also have lots of parts available. I picked up 2 metal Headlight buckets and the lower front valances for $180. They were very helpful and worth a look for anyone in my neck of the woods that are trying to source anything used.