IGNORED

Outer Tie Rod Ends

ok, got the Moog outers from Summit, great buy.  Hopefully, I can spend some time on it today.  

Since I didnt buy new rubber bellows, they look fine, is it ok to clean these out with regular degreaser in the parts cleaner?  I'll be putting new grease on the rack and wanted to start really clean.  As long as I wash and dry well, would the degreaser harm the rubber?  Does anyone coat the rubber to prevent from cracking prematurely?

thanks!

Bill 

Hey Bill, I just researched this and heavy silicone spray is recommended to moisturize rubber parts. As far as cleaning, degreaser is probably ok but something milder might be better if the rubber is older. Dish soap maybe? . . . my two cents worth. I have a set of snap ring pliers arriving monday and I'll be able to do the final disassembly on my steering rack.    Best, Andy

• Like 1

Thanks Yarb,

They were the other way round when I took it apart but I watched a video that specifically stated the concave side went toward the bushings?  I've also since bought the real rubber bushings for radius rods but they're so much thicker I'll need to clamp em in to even get the nut on. Maybe they go as you say?? Also got rubber for the sway bar drop links and pressed the new rubber upper bushings for track control arms. That was fun. Just need the bearing and seal for the pinion gear. Then it all goes back in the car and I start on the back.

Thanks Yarb,   yeah, I think you're right. . . Big cup washers go the other way round against the bushings. Just cuz some guy makes a bunch of videos while working on his Z doesn't mean he always knows what he's talking about. . . . Thanks for pointing it out.

From experience, buy new lock nuts for the TC rods, strut rods, whatever. They are one use originally and I reused mine not knowing any better. Thankfully I heard one scraping the concrete after backing out of my garage. Found the cupped washer and the front bushing in the driveway. Lucky me. LOL