IGNORED

ZCON 2020 Hotel Impact?

jfa.series1

18 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Yeah, I gotta admit... It wasn't as classy, but it sure blended in.    LOL   It's like my daily driver... I want it to be invisible.

You remember that one shaky looking neighborhood when we ended up startling the guy in the brewery?

Him, clearly startled - "Woah! Uhhh... Can I help you?"
Us, being a tasting flight up already - "We we're looking for beer."
Him (thankfully) amused - "Uhhh, OK. We got lots of that, but we don't sell it here."

Hahaha!!! We could have easily ended up in a cell for that one! I think the only thing that saved us was your trustworthy face!     ROFL

I remember it like it was yesterday. We went to the right address of the brewery but no taps. The guy had reddish brown hair and Carhart overalls on. He was stirring a big ole pot of something when we came in the loading dock's door. Walked by a forklift and a dumpster up a few steps and into the brewery. Isn't he the one that gave us those wooden tokens for free beer at their tap house/bar? where we sat at a table with a bunch of other folks? I remember the super sweet good looking girl that took your printed list and told us "go here and here...".

My favorite was the one where you and I were the only ones there yet and they brought out those sampler planks, you knew the name but I'd never seen that before. Great memories Sir!

15281498816_b27d979e7c_k-e1476795385516.jpg

Wow. I'm impressed! Mind like a steel trap!

Yes, he's the guy who gave us drink tokens. I was just happy he didn't call the cops on us! I bet he locked that door after we left! Haha!!  The planks hold "flights", or "tasting flights". And yes, I remember that map. Showed it to her and she's like "Wait... The only thing on here is directions to beer?" 

You remember at one of the other stops on our tour... The two guys who were reluctant to give us a recommendation for BBQ? You remember the detail behind that?

16 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

You remember at one of the other stops on our tour... The two guys who were reluctant to give us a recommendation for BBQ? You remember the detail behind that?

Sort of but a bit fuzzy from all the "flights".  There's only a few ways of thinking when it comes to the Q in my opinion.  Pulled or chopped, white sauce or red and low and slow vs over an open flame.

Honestly I was thinking it was two guys at the table with that girl?  Do tell, I'm curious now.  My steel trap didn't hold that conversation too well.

I don't remember the minute details... Clearly from your highly detailed recollection of the other place, that's what I had you for.

Something about the two guys were competing in the annual BBQ competition and were thinking they might win? Placed high previous year and thought they might take first place that year? They didn't want to recommend any Q from any of their competitors. They were not in the restaurant biz... One was a lawyer and the other was an a software guy or something? I bet they opened a BBQ joint after we met them.

Any of that ringing any bells?

Oh yeah, and their female companions were attractive. That's probably why you don't remember shitte.   ROFL

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

ZCON is still a go as far as I know.  Chris Karl posted a few times on Facebook this past weekend when he and some of his ZCON team were in Nashville locking things down.  Not exactly sure how they are going to deal with the big crowds, especially at the opening and closing banquets, but I understand they have a plan.

If I hear anything else I'll try and provide an update here.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

As Mike said, this past weekend was a scouting trip in Nashville for the ZCON organizers. ZCON is still happening, but it will be a little different from past years. The honored guests from Japan will not be in attendance, but Pete Brock & John Morton will be in attendance. Chris Karl from the ZCCA was making arrangements on Sunday for a car to put in the lobby of the hotel. (I happened to hear part of the phone call.)

DSC07683.JPG(Maybe)

In case you're not on the ZCON mailing list, this was sent out last month: https://mailchi.mp/b1cdfc56ed8a/zcon-2020-covid-19-update?e=aca997d0bb

Don't forget that Nissan will have a special presentation at ZCON. Guess what that is. Usually attending ZCON also locks you into employee pricing on a new Nissan until the end of the calendar year, too.

• 3 weeks later...

It was with sad reluctance that I made the decision to cancel my ZCON hotel reservation last week. TN is one of the states seeing a marked increase in COVID-19 cases and Nashville has been particularly noted on some newscasts. This situation is not going to magically disappear in the next 6 weeks and I am very much in the susceptible age group. Even if I went to the event, I would then have to quarantine myself away from my home for a couple of weeks to ensure I did not bring the virus home to my wife who has an autoimmune condition.

As an original owner, this 50th anniversary meeting holds a lot of significance to me but I cannot allow that to seriously jeopardize my health and that of my family. I will dearly miss meeting up with old friends and getting introduced to new ones from this great site. For those of you who move forward with plans to attend ZCON, I pray that you remain safe. I will have to "enjoy" the event vicariously thru your reports and photos.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

It was with sad reluctance that I made the decision to cancel my ZCON hotel reservation last week. TN is one of the states seeing a marked increase in COVID-19 cases and Nashville has been particularly noted on some newscasts. This situation is not going to magically disappear in the next 6 weeks and I am very much in the susceptible age group. Even if I went to the event, I would then have to quarantine myself away from my home for a couple of weeks to ensure I did not bring the virus home to my wife who has an autoimmune condition.

As an original owner, this 50th anniversary meeting holds a lot of significance to me but I cannot allow that to seriously jeopardize my health and that of my family. I will dearly miss meeting up with old friends and getting introduced to new ones from this great site. For those of you who move forward with plans to attend ZCON, I pray that you remain safe. I will have to "enjoy" the event vicariously thru your reports and photos.

Yup... you gotta know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em.

Good decision!

It's so close to me and I am torn as whether or not to go, even if not for the whole week.  I don't consider that my Z is competition for trophies so that part doesn't even matter, but missing the face to face with everyone is a let down for me personally.  I would still like to go and hope to find a way.   Like most of you I have literally bled for my Z,  but I'm not ready to give up breathing for it or spreading that chance to my family.   I hope conditions change for the better between now and then.

• Like 1