IGNORED

Virus face shields, masks - ideas and designs

Zed Head

I use this mask when working on the wire wheel or when grinding and debris is flying.  Super comfortable and quick to put on. I do, however, hate the ear plugs because they get tangled too easily- so i cut them off.  I use big ear muffs instead.

I just took a little shopping trip to the local grocery store and was really surprised at how few people were wearing any type of face covering.  I don't know if they are just dumb, or don't care, or don't believe that it helps.  Even the store workers were not, only a few were, of their own accord.  Here in north Washington it looks like the message about transmitting the virus without symptoms just isn't getting out there.  Or it's a "me" thing.  

I think the trick will be to make it such that face masks  are "cool', 'dope', 'Sic' or whatever the current 'hip' term is.  Management at work has set up a contest to see who has the best looking face mask. The wives and seamstresses have been busy here.

Went to Costco last Friday and saw the same thing you mentioned.  Some people just don't care, and it's not just the young ones.

Edited by motorman7

• 4 months later...

A new study on effectiveness of different masks.  Looks very sophisticated but the reasoning is simplistic and limited. Hopefully they or someone else will fill it out.  p.s. it doesn't look like it went through any type of refereeing process.  No outside experts looked at it before it was published.  That's how the worst science gets out there.

The assumption is made that small aerosols are worse than sprayed large aerosols.  That is still unconfirmed.  And they assume that all bandanas are of the same fabric and all fleece or gaiters are of the same fabric.  Work like this gets big airplay because of the name of the university.  I hope it gets some pushback, it's incomplete and irresponsible.

So they've effectively crushed the wearing of all types of bandanas and all types of fleece or neck-gaiters.  Scientists tend to get so wrapped up in what they're doing that they don't think about the bigger picture when they publish their incomplete studies.  So much bad or non-existent science out there right now.  You almost can't blame the Sturgis idiots.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/suppl/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083.DC1

Edited by Zed Head

And, even more sad, they are applying for a patent on the process.  Overall, it looks like self-serving work, taking advantage of the pandemic.  About par for many of the big institutions right now.

I'm jaded...

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083

Competing interests: A US provisional patent application has been filed by Duke University on 6/12/20. The authors of the current manuscript are identical to the inventors on the patent application. The patent information is as follows. Title: “Optical Method to Test Efficacy of Face Masks”; Inventors: Martin Fischer, Emma Fischer, David Grass, Warren Warren, Isaac Henrion, and Eric Westman; Application number: 63/038331. The authors declare no other competing interests.