IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

Gin and tonic!  Can't believe that nobody has realized this!  Back to the days of malaria.

What is hydroxychloroquine?

Hydroxychloroquine, also known by its brand name, Plaquenil, is a drug used to treat malaria. It is a less toxic version of chloroquine, another malaria drug, which itself is related to quinine, an ingredient in tonic water.

I'm all in for gin & tonic!! Fabulous idea!

Incidentally, as I feared it would, the pace of people abandoning pets at animal shelters in fear they will catch CO-19 from their pets is increasing. Let me put the situation quite clearly, quoting my sister, who is a veterinarian of 40 years' experience:

They may get it from you if you have an active case. You won't get it from them!!!

More Crozier material.  I've been following the story and came across this article, which is like many.  But the quote at the end kind of stunned my brain.  Tone-deaf, ignorant, disingenuous... I don't know. 

Overall though, the story illustrates some concerns about military readiness if the virus gets spread through the armed forces.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/07/house-probe-removal-navy-captain-over-coronavirus-alert-171710

Here's the WTF quote, Bold and italics are mine  - 

"Esper has indicated he agreed with Modly's decision to remove Crozier.

"It was based on his view that he had lost faith and confidence in the captain based on his actions. It was supported by Navy leadership," Esper said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union." "And I think it’s just another example of how we hold leaders accountable for their actions."

There is some controversy over the IHME COVID-19 infection and death model.  If you've been watching the news, or even this thread, you'll see discussion about how many different models there are and how they can disagree by quite a bit.  But the IHME model is used by the White House and is now being used by many other places.  The latest controversy is in England, where it projects a very high death rate.  

The page does have a drop-down menu that will allow you to see the projections for any state and most countries in the world.  So, it can at least you give you one model's look at your location.

Here's my state's projection.  Says that we are past the peak and cruising, with no demand for ICU beds.  Which would explain why we sent 400 ventilators to New York, maybe.  It doesn't really project ventilator shortage just shows demand.

Kind of like cylinder pressure, the absolute numbers don't matter as much as the comparison, I think.  Worth browsing around to see what your locale might expect.  But, the model's output will change as more data is collected.  So, if testing is poor the data will be poor.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/washington

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

4 hours ago, Zed Head said:

NPR.org has put together a nice way to look at the IHME data.  You can look at all states on one page.  Click "Show all".

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/07/825479416/new-yorks-coronavirus-deaths-may-level-off-soon-when-might-your-state-s-peak

Yes, and looks like they have updated their data so it is now more in line with the Hopkins data.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yesterday was a pretty bad day with the deaths jumping up to 1950 for April 7th.  Also, looks like New York's numbers the previous day were not a blip but a significant step up.

Between New York and New jersey alone, there were over 1000 Covid deaths yesterday, more than half the Covid deaths in the US for April 7th.  That whole region is really a very bad area.  Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania were also big contributors to the total.   All three showed significant jumps from the previous day.

The other significant changes were Illinois and California, both registering their highest deaths for one day because of the virus.  Texas also registered a high for Covid deaths, but not as ramped as Illinois and California.  So, this is where things start to get bad as these are the other three most populated states, albeit a little more spread out and not with the mass transit factor.  Louisiana, also registered a daily high as well.

Given that the large population states are ramping up, things will be pretty ugly for a while.  Hopefully the regional epicenter of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania will stabilize soon.

chart2.jpg

chart2a.jpg

Cover your eyes too... no kidding.

FYI   Research is pointing to the virus attacking hemoglobin in red blood cells. This is what Malaria does and it is why some researchers think the malaria drug works. Also correlation of severity with blood type A also points to blood being significant.

• Like 1