Zed Head

COVID-19

I lost two friends in the spring. Since then many in the company I work have lost family members.
Don't make it seem like it is nothing... it is serious.  Asymptomatic spreaders are like snipers.

Sorry to hear that :( this thing is very real and unpleasant.

To your point about the sniper: The school in which my sister is a teacher had a case in a class unrelated to her and on the other side of the premises. Both my sister and brother in law have been completely out of action for two weeks, coughing like they have been riding a steam train through a tunnel and no sense of taste / smell. The entire school has had to start home schooling.

The thing that is a quite interesting but also a little disconcerting is - they both had the track and trace mobile phone app which means anyone who has been within Bluetooth range (I.e. working 10 metres) of them in the super market, on the pavement etc, would have received a notification to say they were in the vicinity of a carrier and have to self isolate / get a test. Clever tech but it’s net is cast too widely!

6 hours ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

"get out there and live your life" he says.  This is pretty disturbing.

https://komonews.com/news/local/dozens-gather-in-vancouver-for-no-mask-shopping-event

The event, organized on Facebook, was called "An Act of Civil Disobedience." Organizer Justin Forsman said the American people don't have to be afraid.

More like an act of civil ignorance and stupidity.

• Like 1

Loved the Brian Williams piece. Shots of Trump's butt while playing golf under Williams' extolling his "laser-like focus" on fighting the virus are just classic. Last night's 60 Minutes had a very interesting piece on people who have lingering effects of the virus months after having had it. There may very well be potential for lifelong disability and physical limitations if one is in the group that has those effects - and we don't know yet how many there are, as this is something that plays out over time.

For that and other obvious reasons, on Thursday we'll make a drive to Denver (60 miles) and drop off packaged smoked turkey and pie to both daughters, who live about 1/2 mile apart. The older one has a fenced back yard, so we'll meet there, sit in lawn chairs and maintain separation, and have a bit of dessert while we chat. Then we'll hop back in the car and head home. 

One of the daughters manages the dietitians in an eating disorder clinic, so she sees a few people every day. She took a test last week to check her own status.   

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilgrim said:

Loved the Brian Williams piece. Shots of Trump's butt while playing golf under Williams' extolling his "laser-like focus" on fighting the virus are just classic. Last night's 60 Minutes had a very interesting piece on people who have lingering effects of the virus months after having had it. There may very well be potential for lifelong disability and physical limitations if one is in the group that has those effects - and we don't know yet how many there are, as this is something that plays out over time.

For that and other obvious reasons, on Thursday we'll make a drive to Denver (60 miles) and drop off packaged smoked turkey and pie to both daughters, who live about 1/2 mile apart. The older one has a fenced back yard, so we'll meet there, sit in lawn chairs and maintain separation, and have a bit of dessert while we chat. Then we'll hop back in the car and head home. 

One of the daughters manages the dietitians in an eating disorder clinic, so she sees a few people every day. She took a test last week to check her own status.   

Ever stop at Johnson's Corner and get a cinnamon roll and coffee? A heavy dose of caffeine and sugar to get you down the road.

rfl_9548.jpg

Edited by Racer X

I like the cinnamon rolls at Johnson's Corner, but the ones at the Silver Grill in Fort Collins are much better.  But I have been known to pick up a roll at Johnson's while going home from Denver.

Johnson's Corner did a major expansion about 10 years ago - a friend of our was the contractor for the entire project. It's not easy to expand a truck stop that's open 24x7x365.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

I like the cinnamon rolls at Johnson's Corner, but the ones at the Silver Grill in Fort Collins are much better.  But I have been known to pick up a roll at Johnson's while going home from Denver.

Johnson's Corner did a major expansion about 10 years ago - a friend of our was the contractor for the entire project. It's not easy to expand a truck stop that's open 24x7x365.   

The stretch of highway from Denver to Fort Collins is busy, and crazy. I passed through there a few hundred times during my short stint as a flatbed truck driver. Saw plenty of weird things, like this guy who was so eager to get out on the lake he decided to launch his boat early.

48666637082_5e7ee77565_b.jpgGuess This Isn't The Boat Launch by Racer, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, There's good news and bad news. The good news, Kathy was exposed to Covid-19 by another volunteer last week. She was tested yesterday and received the negative results back today. She'll be quarantining one more week. The bad news, There must be some kind of memory scrubber in the infrared thermometers the stores are using to check customers temperatures. I went to the store yesterday to pick up milk, and bread. I came home with beer, donuts.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Here's a nice graphic for anyone traveling.  "Case per 100,000" probably correlates to probability or odds of contacting someone with the virus.  More sick people in an area means you're more likely to run across one.  Although, of course, in the Midwest there's a lot more space between people.  Kind of odd that the numbers there are so high.

The main stream media should be reporting things this way but they just like to show big sickness or death numbers. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-thanksgiving-college-kids-122920956.html

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

Alabama's Coach Saban has tested positive. He will not coach the Iron Bowl between Alabama and Auburn, the biggest game of our year here in the State. 

Never in my wildest imagination could this happen. Just imagine if Tom Brady wasn't the QB for the patriots, that sets the bar. Oh wait, he's in Tampa. ROFL

He was asymptomatic a month or so ago and quarantined for 2 weeks. They're saying he's actually sick and feeling it this time. I haven't had a chance to read the full article until now. Just got home from a hugely busy day at the restaurant. I'll let you know if it's a known path. Cliff

Looking at that COVID map, I can't help but notice that most (certainly not all) of the dark colors are in the red states that went Republican. It is a shame that this health and science issue was politicized.  

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 2