Just more diversion.  That's his M.O.  He's worried about Cuomo and needs to try to make him look bad.  I haven't watched any of this one, they're all the same now.

• Like 2

So, I arrived in Panama this AM (8am). The airport is completely closed to passenger travel. The airport was a ghost town. We only heard one other aircraft on the radio between Tennessee and Panama (a Delta flight over Atlanta). It was so odd and the sights here are odd too. Roads complexly empty. It’s like something from a bad movie. We had our temps taken upon landing and were told we couldn’t leave our hotel room once we check in.
    I spent 15 mins sanitizing the jet with my gloves on. The other pilot seemed to have a lower concern but was happy with my cleaning job. I find out 1 hr into the flight that his daughter vacated NYC a few days ago to escape the virus lockdown. She’s a waitress in Manhattan and student. I’m like, “you’ve got to be kidding me”, I’m stuck with this guy for about 8 hrs total in this cockpit for the next two flights!
    I’ve been neurotic about keeping my hands clean but not touching your face for 4 hrs is almost impossible, it’s a subconscious action most of the time.
    So I’m trapped in this hotel now. Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

I find out 1 hr into the flight that his daughter vacated NYC a few days ago to escape the virus lockdown. 

Human nature.  Run!

Trump is talking now and it seems like the new focus is talking about the private companies that are making products.  One is the unproven therapeutics.  Sandoz and others.  Ford, General Electric Healthcare, General Motors, Honeywell, Jockey, the MyPillow guy, Proctor & Gamble,  Bringing the company presidents up to speak.  The MyPillow guy is the first speaker.  He sounds just like his commercials.  CRAZY!

Lots of praising of each other.  President thanks the FDA, FDA thanks the President.  The FDA is now making approvals based on the President's requests.  Not their own expertise.

All of the companies making ventilators will be sending them to foreign companies.  It's a business venture.  Not much mention of the States.  Lots of focus on sending medical equipment to Italy.

I've realized that Trump is just a really weird dude.  Forget about his motives, he's just a strange strange person.

• Like 1

Today's briefing has turned in to a long line of corporate executives talking about doing things.  I've always been of the do first, talk later motto.

It's turning in to a TV show.  Very strange to watch.

https://www.mypillow.com/

Edited by Zed Head

He looked at the masks and realized - "These are cloth.  They could be sterilized.  Make it so".

Never mind.  Too touchy.

It's only Monday...

Trump just got trolled by a reporter's question and he fell for it.  Could not resist.  Took the bait, hook, line and sinker.  Now he's off on a rant about stolen masks.  Trump is showing that he doesn't know what "per capita" means.

Edited by Zed Head

What I've learned recently is that the aerosol transmission path might be more important than thought.  "They" are talking about everybody wearing masks.  So, if you want to be extra careful, don't breath heavily in the presence of other people.  The people in that story above were just singing, so they were exhaling and inhaling deeply.  Doesn't have to be a cough or sneeze.

Also, the loss of the ability to smell and taste is a sign that you've been infected.

Never mind.  Too touchy.
    It's only Monday...
    Trump just got trolled by a reporter's question and he fell for it.  Could not resist.  Took the bait, hook, line and sinker.  Now he's off on a rant about stolen masks.  Trump is showing that he doesn't know what "per capita" means.

I saw that, wasn’t sure what he was trying to say. Comparing via per capita is a somewhat unfair comparison. South Korea is the size of Indiana and the population is mostly in 2 cities. Seoul and Pohang, you can drive between them in hours. Don’t get me wrong they did a great job testing and getting ahead of this, way better than us. We have a vast nation but still we dropped the ball. It was a loaded question. If you had a county the size of Luxembourg it’s easy to make a per capita argument. We have 338,000,000 people, with people in every corner.

Maybe those stark conversations with the smarter people turned him? Something's changed since yesterday. Possibly it's hit him personally? Who knows.

It sure has for me. A week off work drinking beer was fun but this is bad and going South fast.

Maybe those stark conversations with the smarter people turned him? Something's changed since yesterday. Possibly it's hit him personally? Who knows.

It sure has for me. A week off work drinking beer was fun but this is bad and going South fast.

Cliff, I hope you’re wrong but I’m afraid you’re right. There is a strange feeling in the air. You all need to be ready for the worst. Think about your family’s security and being hunkered down big time. This virus is so easily spread and healthy people are dying in days, not weeks. We need a vaccine fast or else it will be ugly and will for sure impact people you love and care about. I’m not even talking about the economic disaster we have to dig out of. It’s not gonna be a fun summer.

BTW, I don’t believe the warmer weather is going to make a difference. It’s 80deg here. My first trip- 1 case first week of March. Second week here 40 cases. Today - 1,000 cases and 38 dead.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

It was a loaded question. If you had a county the size of Luxembourg it’s easy to make a per capita argument.

Some reporters are still trying to get him to admit his exaggerations.  "More tests than any country".  It's just a waste of time. 

But, I think that he really might not even understand what "per capita" means.  He had an easy clear answer, along your lines, about testing in the hotspots at a high rate.  It would have been a good reasonable answer.  But he fumbled on even saying the term "per capita".  I don't think that he understands.

Anyway.  They're trying to change the man.  He's in his 70's.  Not going to happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Av8ferg said:

Think about your family’s security and being hunkered down big time. 

Hunkering down is only good for the short term.  You can't protect your family if the means of production shut down.  Unless you're a good hunter and live surrounded by wildlife, and have the means to hold off the people who want to steal it after you get it.

Birx touched on the loaded issue - this is a national emergency and needs national leadership and organization.  She touched it then backed away and tried to make it sound like the individual states could organize nationally.  She's implying that a coalition of states organize.  It's happened before and didn't end well.

What's going to happen when a load of ventilators go to Italy, and one or more of our states runs out?

Well, I’ve don’t think a Mad Max scenario is a possibility but a pause in services and isolated looting of violence is possible, especially is high population centers. This is why the stimulus package was critical to stabilizing the people and give faith in government. Once that disappears stuff can go sideways fast. Look at Katrina.

People need to listen to the video.  It's very enlightening.

I actually have faith the governors will step up and make things happen.  Katrina was one governor of a very poor state.  This is at least three, four or more governors of pretty important states, economy-wise.  NY, CA, WA, NJ, MI, OH, etc.   The threat of a coalition would be enough I think.  The people behind Trump will know that.

I was just reading about the governor of Montana saying he was having trouble getting testing supplies.  Trump said that he had not heard of any problems.  So, there are more governors who will be speaking up soon.  The President should be aware of every state and territories' needs.

Edited by Zed Head

About the vaccine comment above - all the evidence says there's none coming this year. If we get a bit lucky, we'll have one early in 2021. Every report I've heard says this year is simply faster than can be achieved.

IMO the best bets for this year are (1) distancing consistently enough to take the peak off the curve, and (2) just maybe an existing drug will be found that has a secondary use, providing some ability to counteract its worst effects. Note that #2 is more wish than probability.

Right now the Denver CBS station is interviewing an E.R. doctor, and he says that he simply expects all the E.R. personnel to get the corona virus eventually. He sees it as something that's pretty much inevitable. Direct quote: "We see a lot of death in emergency medicine, we're kind of used to it, but I don't think any of us are prepared for what were going to see in the next 10-20 months."

Edited by Pilgrim

Feels like this should be in the humor thread.  But this guy was just on stage next to the President, talking at the COVID-19 briefing.

Nobody can deny how weird this is.  He's the MyPillow guy!  Next will be the OxiClean guy.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/30/trump-nudging-mypillow-lindell-run-office-156195

Background checks mean new people getting guns.

"In recent weeks, firearm sales have skyrocketed. Background checks the key barometer of gun sales already were at record numbers in January and February, likely fueled by a presidential election year. Since the coronavirus outbreak, gun shops have reported long lines and runs on firearms and ammunition.

Background checks were up 300% on March 16, compared with the same date a year ago, according to federal data shared with the NSSF, which represents gunmakers. Since Feb. 23, each day has seen roughly double the volume over 2019, according to Mark Oliva, spokesman for the group."

Not necessarily. All gun transactions at an FFL require a background check. Even existing gun owners. However I suspect a lot of these are new purchasers. Which is fine with me.

My mistake.  I was assuming that the backgrounds stayed "clean".  Of course, you can start clean then get dirty.

Weird that they know how many were completed but don't say how many passed.

Anyway, kind of off-topic.  I don't really see the connection with a pandemic.  People should be setting their guns aside.