IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

Hey all, listen up..... this is bad..... there does not seem to be a clear way out of isolation:

1. I was just out for the first time to pick-up on-line purchased groceries (they put in bed of the truck so no contact). I was shocked to see so many people so close together and without masks!  This virus is going to burn through like a wild fire with this ignorance. We can not turn this around until this behavior ends or the risk takers die.

2. It now seems the virus can come back even after you survive then test negative. Crap data eluding to this has leaked from China but absolute data is now coming out of Korea.  This means we can not stop spreading until the virus and those who were infected die.... we are ****ed until a vaccine or similar is found. DO NOT TAKE RISKS AND GET THIS VIRUS THAT DOES NOT SEEM TO GO AWAY. YOU NEED TO SURVIVE UNIL A VACCINE IS FOUND.

2. We need 100% masks and goggles and 100% regular testing before even thinking about coming out of isolation.

3. China (The World experts on their monster and 4 months ahead of us....look there to see the future)  is not able to come back from isolation... have a look at what is going on there now:

Edited by 240260280

That's bad news.  There has been a general assumption that having had the virus and survived means that (a) it confers immunity from another infection, at least for some time, and (b) that you would not be contagious after the event.

I'll wait for more info, but this sounds petty solid and prudence indicates assuming it's accurate until proven otherwise. You won't get hurt by assuming it's true; you might suffer from assuming it is not.

2 hours ago, 240260280 said:

2. It now seems the virus can come back even after you survive then test negative. Crap data eluding to this has leaked from China but absolute data is now coming out of Korea.  This means we can not stop spreading until the virus and those who were infected die.

I read that coverage and I found it unconvincing.  Conclusions being drawn far too early by media ("If it bleeds, it reads").  The Korean source cautioned that they weren't sure whether what they were seeing really was reinfection.  And I'm certainly inclined to trust an official source from South Korea rather than one from, say, the Chinese government and media.

As for the people who refuse to acknowledge the need for safe distancing, perhaps we should have them explain their 'Doesn't apply to me' attitude to an audience made up of doctors and nurses from their local hospital.  Alternatively, offenders who contract the virus and require medical care should be instructed to join the special line at their hospital that serves members of the 'Doesn't apply to me' group.  That would be the line that leads to a door opening out onto the back parking lot. 

The think what they see is like chickenpox...reactivation.  e.g.  get cleared from this hospital after fighting it then go home to your family in isolation... in a month when it reactivates, you give it to your family.  They could be dealing with false negatives but ~ 100 people have shown this in Korea and China reported it in February.  I always wondered why all survivors released from hospitals in China wore masks.

Social isolation will spare most. Sadly, the risk takers will have and cause the largest fatality rate. I can't help but be reminded of Darwin's theory of "Natural Selection". The slowest and the dumbest are the first to die in a herd of wildebeests.

• Like 1

Here is the Daily US Covid deaths chart with the updates from yesterday. Slight drop off in New York and New Jersey with a large increase from Michigan.  This has been the worst day so far with deaths at 1999. We are still hovering in a fairly tight range here and somewhat flat.  New York and New jersey are now under 50% of the total deaths but not by much.

20 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Won't be a surprise if there's another few outbreaks in the United States, especially in the areas that have been making it through with low numbers.  I just went shopping and it's still depressing how many people there are, young and old, who refuse to wear any type of face covering.  It must be vanity, I think.  Maybe combined with ignorance.  

Totally agree.  I am surprised something significant has not popped up in California, Texas or Illinois, the large population centers.  I wonder if it is the transportation system and the more spread out landscape.

2 hours ago, 240260280 said:

The think what they see is like chickenpox...reactivation.  e.g.  get cleared from this hospital after fighting it then go home to your family in isolation... in a month when it reactivates, you give it to your family.  They could be dealing with false negatives but ~ 100 people have shown this in Korea and China reported it in February.  I always wondered why all survivors released from hospitals in China wore masks.

Sure would be nice to have more info on this.  Did they have a relapse and get similar symptoms? No symptoms?  Did they die?  I hate reporting like this and feel that it is fear mongering.  If they told you that all 91 were just fine then it would be no big deal.  Instead, they state a fact and provide no significant info and leave you to fear the worst.

Here in California I think we are almost overprepared.  The local hospital just gave layoff notices to 221 employees. Canceled most elective surgeries and waiting with 250 empty beds for Covid patients.  Guess that's why Gavin loaned out respirators to other states.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/palomar-health-issues-temporary-layoff-notices-to-221-employees/2303014/

Interesting thing about the Chinese:  I used to work for a company that managed the integration of US satellites onto US and Russian rockets.  I worked the Russian side of the business.  China also has/had launched US satellites on the Long March.  When we would visit the Satellite manufacturers, if the Chinese were there, the US satellite manufacturers would cover up their satellites with sheets or tarps so they were not visible.  When it was just the Russians, everything was left uncovered and people would be working on the satellites.  The Satellite manufacturers took a lot of precaution when the Chinese were in the building.  The Russians just wanted to make sure the meetings were done by 5PM so they could get to Happy Hour when it started.

chart5.jpg

49 minutes ago, motorman7 said:

Interesting thing about the Chinese:  I used to work for a company that managed the integration of US satellites onto US and Russian rockets.

?  I worked at an Earth Station using Intersputnik and Intelsat birds throughout the 90's.  We won a contract to be a TT&C site for INMARSAT and were involved in getting 5 satellites in orbit. 2 Ariane, 1 Proton, 1 MacDonald-Douglas and 1 Martin Mariette. The tracking systems were Vertex from Kilgore, Texas.  I reprogrammed one (geosynchornous) to track Early Orbit (elliptical) for fun. Those were the days! My closest to being and Astronaut... a dream from childhood.

Edited by 240260280

7 hours ago, 240260280 said:

2. It now seems the virus can come back even after you survive then test negative. Crap data eluding to this has leaked from China but absolute data is now coming out of Korea.  This means we can not stop spreading until the virus and those who were infected die.... we are ****ed until a vaccine or similar is found. DO NOT TAKE RISKS AND GET THIS VIRUS THAT DOES NOT SEEM TO GO AWAY. YOU NEED TO SURVIVE UNIL A VACCINE IS FOUND.

And if a vaccine isn't developed?  Living in isolation for the rest of your life isn't possible and what is the point of being the last person to catch it?  I'm starting to be convinced that at some point whether it's the first wave or tenth wave everyone is going to catch this thing.  I guess I am playing the devils advocate a bit here but there is a limit to how long I can spend inside being careful, being afraid.  I'm pretty sure at some point the good will is going to dry up and people will just want to get it over with one way or the other. I'm not there yet but I can see it coming.

California got a plan in place early and avoided the mess that New York has to deal with.  They're already working on how to "reopen" society.  What we need is a national plan, something to look forward to.  Instead of looking backward.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/10/san-francisco-bay-area-coronavirus-example-179147