IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

Boris Johnson, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, taken to intensive care, in case he needs a ventilator.  This might make things more "real" for the ruling class.  It can happen to anyone.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/06/coronavirus-live-news-boris-johnson-admitted-to-hospital-as-trump-again-touts-hydroxychloroquine

I think this is a great article.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sweden-found-solution-coronavirus-103003618.html

Also this one

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/two-academic-brothers-have-a-plan-for-putting-the-country-back-to-work-in-just-weeks

Time to start looking at solutions on how to exit this quarantine instead of running around and pointing fingers. The way we move on from this point is very key.

9 minutes ago, motorman7 said:

I think this is a great article.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sweden-found-solution-coronavirus-103003618.html

Also this one

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/two-academic-brothers-have-a-plan-for-putting-the-country-back-to-work-in-just-weeks

Time to start looking at solutions on how to exit this quarantine instead of running around and pointing fingers. The way we move on from this point is very key.

The plan is obvious and it is what they did in Taiwan. In fact , Taiwan never shut down.

The problems with the plan's timeline are:

1. No test kits.... you need about  400 million tests for 1 pass.  Weekly testing or less would be needed.... plus the labs or portable labs to do the tests.

2. No masks

3. No travel entry point testing

4. These days many people are generally ignorant, selfish , and or poorly educated so buy in will be tough

5. It just takes one person to set this thing off again.

6. It is not known if one develops immunity or if it fades with time.

It is a bad situation.  The current priority is to survive until a vaccine or similar is made.

I think the Taiwan model could be implemented in a month or two... sadly it will take more deaths before the poorly educated and ignorant realize the few choices civilization has.

Who, exactly, is going to implement a better plan?  Seriously, can you imagine?

From your article - 

"President Trump has no use for Sweden’s nuanced approach. Last Wednesday, he smeared it in a spectacular fashion by saying he’d heard that Sweden “gave it a shot, and they saw things that were really frightening, and they went immediately to shutting down the country.”

And how does the idea in the second article work, without testing?  The lack of tests has been an issue and still is.

"They have laid out a version of the idea, which would have the government test all workers on designated days. Officials would swab all workers twice. The first swab would be pooled into groups of 1,000 and tested immediately. "

Most of what's happening today in the US is damage control and campaigning.  Fingers do need pointing.  The wrong people are in charge.  

7 hours ago, psdenno said:

The cause for concern is that if Coronavirus is cross-species, containing it just became fairly impossible.  

Dennis

Yes, that potential is obvious.  I took that into account, which is the reason I re-wrote my post about four times before sending it. Your response just fans the flames, and in fact is incorrect. The situation would not be impossible, as I indicated by noting that vaccines for both humans and animals will be developed. This thread also notes work that has been done on this, and there is no evidence of transmission from animals back to humans. 

There are already too many people abandoning pets in this situation. I thought it relevant to note the concern - which I did - and to also make it clear that there is no reason to jump to conclusions.

Edited by Pilgrim

I started graphing the John Hopkins numbers last week just to get a better idea of what is really happening in the US with the virus. There is a lot to be learned about the change in death totals in each state that give a good picture of what is going on.  From the numbers:

New York, New Jersey, Michigan and Louisiana are the big contributors to the daily death totals.  New York seems to have leveled off, same with New Jersey and Louisiana.   Michigan is going through a bad spell right now. 

The reason for the drop in deaths for April 5th was primarily due to New Jersey's lower numbers.   

I would say that most other states were relatively flat with California posting a drop.  

I think the high projections thought California, Texas and Illinois would be much worse.  California is surprisingly low, fortunately.  I owe Gavin an apology.

Datawise, I try and record all data around 8AM Pacific time, however, New York updates around 10AM so I add them in later.

Some states seem to update throughout the day...some just once a day.

Wyoming still has 0 deaths.  I think that says something about those wide open spaces.

I also compared the John Hopkins totals with the Covid healthdata numbers.  They are fairly close, but seems like Covid may have taken the weekend off as they are not as 'smooth'.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

I did not chart confirmed cases, because that number is limited by test availability.  I am expecting tomorrows numbers to be higher because of New Jersey and Michigan late day updates, but New York will have the final say.

I think the market rallied today because of the one day drop. Don't know if that will continue tomorrow.

On the Excel charts, totals are in white, daily change in yellow, start date is April 2.

Chart 1.jpg

Chart2.jpg

Chart3.jpg

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

Yes, that potential is obvious. OF COURSE I took that into account, which is the reason I re-wrote my post about four times before sending it. Your response just fans the flames, and in fact is incorrect. The situation would not be impossible, as I indicated by noting that vaccines for both humans and animals will be developed.

There are already too many people abandoning pets in this situation. I thought it relevant to note the concern - which I did - and to also make it clear that there is no reason to jump to conclusions. Evidently you did not share that concern.

Dear Pilgrim,

Cool your jets.  I'm sure that sheltering in place has clouded your reasoning and judgement when reading and responding to posts in this topic.  It's a difficult time for all of us.  Time for you to take a chill pill, a solitary walk outdoors, and a long nap.  Your stress level is showing and lashing out at me after misunderstanding the intent of my post serves no good purpose.  

Since you missed the point of my post.  Allow me to elucidate.  I was not referring to only domestic household pets and farm animals.  Feral squirrels, rabbits, foxes, deer, cats, ducks, rats, raccoons and more will not be dropping by their neighborhood vet clinic for a dose of vaccine.  If animals can be virus carriers, global virus eradication will not be easily accomplished.

Now, relax, watch a good movie like Contagion, I am Legend, 28 Days Later, or 12 Monkeys.  Please respond to me off forum if you want to continue this discussion.  

Your Friend,

Dennis

Pissing contests are kind of self-absorbed.  Let's not do those.  Your comment about "clouded judgement" is intentionally insulting.  And I understood Pilgrim's post very clearly.  You added some inference that wasn't there or maybe you just din't read it right.  Let's not troll people in this thread.  This is a serious issue.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Even the guys at the top have  trouble really absorbing what's happening.  How can a "health minister" not follow health-based guidance, that he supposedly played a part in producing?  It's a tough reality.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/new-zealand-health-minister-demoted-after-beach-visit-broke-lockdown-rules

Latest news flash: Trump and some of his associates have a small investment in the drug he is touting as a remedy for CO-19, hydroxychloroquine. It's not a big investment, but it's funny how this kind of things keeps coming up with Trump and his cronies.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/04/07/trump-has-small-distant-link-to-sanofi-french-drugmaker-of-hydroxychloroquine/#3c95bf807260 

Edited by Pilgrim

A $3000 dollar investment is ridiculously small for Trump. Not even worth mentioning. That's a nice bottle of wine for guys at this level. It would be like mentioning I bought a six pack last night. It would be small for most normal investors. Just another chance to take a swipe at the president. If reporters went after both parties equally, it wouldn't bother me so much. However that will probably never be the case since 90+% of the media are Democrats

I am tied of people in this thread taking swipes at the president and touting other politicians as being totally on the ball. I have watched many of the presidential updates and I don't see them the way some others view them. I voted for the man once and I will be again! I suspect the overwhelming silence from others on the forum suggests that others might feel the same way...

• Like 2