IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

25 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Trump is actually starting to look and act more like Alec Baldwin.  Pretty funny to watch as he stands there listening to people talk.

That guy is nuts! Just scolded some girl for being nasty. Hello pot, this is kettle and you're black as s h i t.

He gets off on calling detractors stupid but hateful nicknames.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

That guy is nuts! Just scolded some girl for being nasty. Hello pot, this is kettle and you're black as s h i t.

You're right. In this case, nuts is a Sociopath and an extreme Narcissist all rolled into one. In the 1830s this disorder was called "Moral Insanity". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

It certainly gets old talking about this but it's important.  Here's the interchange I think you saw.

Here is the fancy virus filtering fabric/media that I’m using. 3M’s best furnace filter that is stated to be bacteria and Virus filtering. It’s their “Healthy Living” series, the best of their four commercial grades. 
75688CF6-D2E3-4385-BF35-F064FE122C06.thumb.jpeg.a8abf8a5ad1498c9ff0a26cb3ece2581.jpeg
My furnace uses a 16x25x1 filter. After the filter fabric removal from the frame (it’s own challenge), there is enough to make 16 masks. Each mask uses a 10.5” x 9” rectangle of material, 6 pleats worth.
The pleats in the material is the secret to it’s expandability and easy fit to any face. The face fit on me is very very tight. All air goes through the fabric, nothing around. The nose bridge area will reveal a leak in 2 minutes if you wear glasses, as they will fog up.  
There is also a small strip of soft formable aluminum in the nose bridge to make it a custom fit. The only such material I had around was some old Z door threshold plates. Had to sacrifice one old rusty one. The strip is 3/16 by 3.5” 
B940FD89-9081-4B79-A87B-000A39578244.thumb.jpeg.2383c8af4780af3c76668cf6c951131c.jpeg
We lined the second proto type with flannel (baby patterns are the only thing around.... sigh...). The filter material is made of very very fine strands and will be form a bit of a raised hairy mess after some handling that will tickle the crap out of your nose. We added the flannel layer to give you something soft over your nose and chin and to line the INSIDE. This also gives an extra layer of virus trapping. 
The top pleat is sewn shut and the formable strip is placed inside. The bottom pleat is also sewn shut. It forms the chin seal at the bottom.
166269E8-BFE2-44B5-A0D2-55AE637F0635.thumb.jpeg.5361afbfdd44103359a01ea3f8899f93.jpeg
The single elastic goes over the back upper part of your head. It provides exactly the right force vectoring to pull on the nose and chin section to keep them snug to the face.  Doing the ear loop thing did not provide enough tension. 
The ends are sewn over with the pleats collapsed. Then I punch a 1/4 hole with a gasket hole punch to tie the 1/4’ wide elastic through.
I’ve tested these in the oven to 200F, which is hot enough to sterilize them for re-use.  (160f is the virus kill point apparently)
They breath very easily, there is no extra “work” on your part to push or pull air through them.
EA879B6C-6894-415A-9C2C-A273CCFD7F2F.thumb.jpeg.7d662b29e3ea76a297e53b0e0290ebb7.jpeg
8C63B302-6184-4AC3-9A07-CC8D011EC01E.thumb.jpeg.d6e6cd914b0e60d22886caf9cf81be58.jpeg

Thanks for sharing!! I love the other open tabs!!! COVID 19, Face Masks, McLaren F1 engine!
  • Like 1

I don't have fabrication tools handy and Washington, actually the CDC now, is recommending that everyone wear a face covering.  The idea, I think, not fully explained in detail by anyone here, is that it keeps droplets from spraying from your mouth or nose, and it keeps other people from spraying droplets in to your mouth or nose.  Not so much a filter but a spray shield.  I think that a clear face shield would do as well.

I haven't made one yet but it looks like I can cut ear holes in the corners of a simple wash cloth, and hang it from my ears.  I might run down to Harbor Freight though and pick up a face shield instead.  I feel like a bandit just covering the lower half of my face testing the wash cloth concept.

Edited by Zed Head