IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

5 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I heard last night it could go under $1 a gallon and it has nothing to do with the virus so YEA!

Let Putin and the Prince have their pissing contest.

The only problem with their pissing contest is they are bankrupting American firms. Which means good paying American jobs are lost

The same companies that have been manipulating me and you for all these years? I'm sorry Charles but no sympathy from me.

You remember after Katrina right? Classic American price gouging. Their greed cost America more than job loss. Diesel fuel ran everything up and it hasn't come back down, like taxes. After the extra tax builds the interchange we needed it doesn't end when the projects over.

I'll probably post this link occasionally, below, just so people can see where we're at, and where we're going.  Read the assumptions about the model at the top of the page, they describe things like the assumption that all 50 states will have social distancing guidelines within a week of the last update.  As the assumptions change, due to reality or new data, the model will change.  It could get better or it could get worse.  I'll post an image of the current projections also, as a snapshot to look back on.  This is the model the administration is using.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Read this page and it explains the assumptions in the model.

http://www.healthdata.org/covid/updates

image.png

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

This thought keeps running through my mind...If we shelter in place real well, does that mean we get to shelter in place longer?  Since we are trying to flatten the curve, the better we shelter, the flatter the curve.

I don't think our country will have that problem, but it does give you something to think about. 

From the numbers, it looks like California has done a pretty good job so far based on the low numbers relative to population size.  I do, however, think this is the calm before the storm for CA.  We are just now starting to ramp up and will probably  start seeing New York sized numbers by the beginning of next week.

Stats are ~ 80% die on ventilator... masks are the priority.... they stop you from having to go on a ventilator.

When will our leaders see the way to a partially normal way of life is masks for all, testing for all and quarantine of positives?

The longer they wait the more will die and the more the economy will fail.  We need to do this to get us through to a hopeful vaccine.

56 minutes ago, motorman7 said:

Looks like the US just found a cure.  Here is the latest John Hopkins update. Note time stamp in lower left corner.

Not sure what you mean.  Maybe they made a mistake.  The current time stamp is 3:04 pm and the number is 932,605 confirmed.  Looks like you caught an error in and they rolled it back.  Not clear what time zone the're reporting either.

I sent those guys another email about how the way they break up the USA in to states is a dishonest way to show the data.  They have the states mixed in with the countries.  I think that they might be bending to the will of the White House.  Or just don't care.  The site was interesting but it's not of much use anymore except for sensationalizing things.  So, in the end, you were right, the JHU site is not of much use.  I've lost some respect for Johns Hopkins.

That's why I'm going to the IHME site.  JHU records the past, the IHME site projects the future.  

1 hour ago, 240260280 said:

When will our leaders see the way to a partially normal way of life is masks for all, testing for all and quarantine of positives?

The longer they wait the more will die and the more the economy will fail.  We need to do this to get us through to a hopeful vaccine.

That's a timeline of March to August 2021.  Projections have consistently been 12-18 months - at the soonest - to develop a reliable vaccine.

So where we are now, hopefully with the addition of more available PPE and a dropoff in new infections, is where we're going to be for a while.

I'm thinking the major sports are history this year, unless perhaps some can operate in empty facilities with online audiences.  I'm also not planning any trips to my alma mater for football, as I think that season will be canceled.

5 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

That's a timeline of March to August 2021.  Projections have consistently been 12-18 months - at the soonest - to develop a reliable vaccine.

So where we are now, hopefully with the addition of more available PPE and a dropoff in new infections, is where we're going to be for a while.

I'm thinking the major sports are history this year, unless perhaps some can operate in empty facilities with online audiences.  I'm also not planning any trips to my alma mater for football, as I think that season will be canceled.

Nope, we could get everyone back to work next week if we followed Taiwans procedures.  We just need masks and testing. Look at this:

Edited by 240260280

Nice ambition, but not realistic. First, people in the US won't participate well. Second, even if we had 100% participation it would be weeks before we could establish data to tell us it was safe to open the door to more group activities.  You can chalk off April with high confidence.