IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

Does anyone really know what "stay-at-home" means?  The message seems unclear even when an official tries to explain it.  They say that you can go out to exercise but they don't really define what that means.  Now they're threatening fines here in my state but I see people walking around the neighborhood all day.

I feel lucky that Washington apparently is ahead of the virus, relatively speaking.  But the governor needs to make more sense.

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/inslee-announces-crackdown-on-violators-of-stay-home-order

Seems like they could help distancing just by doing an even-odd thing like they did for gas rationing.  If your name starts with a certain letter then certain days are when you go out.  Or use your birthday.  Simple stuff.  People are looking for direction.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

in the SF Bay Area our stay at home has been extended till May 3, for the most part i do exactly that, i stay at home, i DO go out to work on my car, and go to the local donut shop ?.

When I do go around out into public spaces I wear a surgical mask (non-N95) and wash my hands / clean surfaces I've touched. Both my parents work in "essential" industry healthcare/shipping, so they have way more interface with people, but are also taking care when going out into public.

@Zed Head IIRC they dont want people in large groups hanging around (like people going on hikes in groups, or picnics in the parks).

Ive noticed that road noise has increased in the last week and half, before that when all this first started it was very very quite in the day time.

I have a supply of nitrile gloves for keeping my hands clean while working on cars. When I must go out and get something, I get out of the car and out the gloves on. When I get back to the car, I remove the gloves by pulling them inside out. I drive home, put the gloves on and carry stuff inside.

I then spray Microban cleaner on paper towels and wipe down everything, including fruits and veggies. I then wipe down any counters where I placed things, and the door handles I touched. The gloves are now clean from the solution, so I save them to re-use. It hit me this evening that I also need to spray the shoes I wore out before entering the house.

I'm glad to have a box of those nitrile gloves around. Didn't think they would be used for this.

Edited by Pilgrim

SC is closing all non-essential businesses today at 5 PM. Everyone is trying to figure out which side of the line they are on. As of right now I believe I will still be able to keep working. We will see. I suspect if these efforts to mitigate cases fail, then more businesses will be deemed non essential

Stats show ~ 80% of people on ventilators die.  Mask production is the priority over ventilators. The Chinese virus has destroyed your lungs by the time you are on a vent. A mask would have stopped you from catching the virus in the first place.

For a better analogy.... masks are like condoms and Coronavirus is like the dose.... but you are copulating 24/7.  Perhaps this will be a better way to communicate the concept to leaders.

Okay, I just drove by a gas station in TN and fuel was $1.49 a gallon. WTF! This is pandemic is flipping everything upside down. I just read an article that global oil storage capacity will be full by June. There is no where to store it and production will be cut severely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my 1983 280ZX Turbo running RIGHT for the first time in 2+ years yesterday!!  It was missing above 3500 RPM, and after trying a laundry list of possibilities, the fix turned out to be simply disconnecting the ECU for a half-hour to reset it.  Once it was re-connected, the ZX is running perfectly and I spent a while touring the area and pulling shifts at 5500+ RPM. Go figure...but I'm delighted! 

Since it was running right, I filled up and bought premium at $2.74 a gallon, which is a good price for this area. I haven't seen it at that price for a while.  I own the ZX and two older BMW 3-series, all of which run premium. 

One thing you can do during a pandemic is catch up on car maintenance.  Today it's rotors, pads, and packing the front wheel bearings. I think I'll throw in a brake fluid flush while I have it up on jackstands.

• Like 1