IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

This fear of home invasion seems significant.  Can't really understand it though.  It implies that the guns are never actually in a gun safe, that they are always at hand.  Under the pillow.  Sleeping with a shoulder holster.  Ready for the invader.
As far as buying guns for value, like gold, that implies that a person would then trade them for food or other supplies, in a crisis.  Why not just buy canned food, meant to be stored for months or years?  Seems like we're mixing the ability to shoot somebody with buying them for investment purposes.  Just being real.
People are free to do it though and it's their money and time.  It's really a very personal thing though.  It won't matter to anyone except the person whose home is invaded and the person doing the invading.  Inconsequential as far as the actual COVID-19 crisis though.  People at home with their guns?  Doesn't matter.  Buying extra guns and ammo is the same as buying extra toilet paper.  No offense, I just don't see any difference.

No difference in buying guns vs TP?
You can’t protect your property and family with TP? The only similarity that both items have is scarcity and people what things they think they may not be able to buy.
Home invasions are real. My wife’s brother’s family needed counseling for the kids after their invasion. He wasn’t a gun believer before but is a trained owner now. When a man puts a knife on your 8 year old daughter’s throat and says he will kill her if you don’t comply it’s a life changing moment. I personally believe a man’s ultimate responsibility it to provide and protect his family at any cost. We alway hope the police will be there but it not always the case.
My Glock 19 is in a biometric safe on my nightstand with only my and my wife’s fingerprints. It’s loaded in condition 1 with a light mounted.
Two years ago, I was confronted in Memphis outside an AutoZone buying a fan belt for my Z. The man wanted money before he would step away from the driver’s door. I asked him kindly to leave and he made a threatening gesture and said “I ain’t playing white boy”. This is when I took 5 steps back and displayed my Glock 26 in a concealed appendix holster. He immediately ran away. The point is you can’t always depend on the police. One of my Marines had a man enter his car at a Wendy’s drive thru in Alabama with a knife. My SSgt had a gun. He put 5 bullets in the man and killed him. He was released with no charges.
Look what Korean’s did in La in the Rodney King riots. Where where the police?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited below -

My point was that you only need one gun and a small amount of ammo to protect your home.  Just like you only need a week or two's worth of TP.  

And what you do with it will be in the privacy of your own home.  The rest of us won't see it.  The details don't matter.

Just like the empty TP shelves, the long lines at the gun store just seem pointless.  But it makes people feel secure, so carry on with it.

Any more words on this topic are pointless too.  People have their beliefs.

Edit - I do have to say though, that there is no way I will ever take a job in Emerald Isle, NC.  Way too dangerous down there.  Sounds like the place is over-run with crime.  Is all of NC like that?  I lived in Hattiesburg, MS for a few years and never felt threatened.

Edit 3 - removed Edit 2.  Bogus crime stats.  Anyway, fear can be debilitating.  I'd be more afraid owning a gun than I am now, without one.  It would be an unnecessary danger, no matter how well-trained I was.  I'll take my chances.  I can still run pretty fast.

Edit 4 - here is a better view on crime.  Emerald Isle is 1.5 times more crimey than the average.  That would be enough to make me think twice about living there.  Good luck AV8.  Consider moving.  You're in the red zone.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Emerald-Isle-North-Carolina.html

Edited by Zed Head

Life is not much fun anymore.  I hope our leaders figure out what the smarter countries like Korea, Germany, and Taiwan are doing to move on.

The sooner they clue-in, the faster we can get through this problem:

Priority:

• Masks for all
  • Regular testing of everyone
  • Continued isolation of positives
  • Back to work/normality for survivors with antibodies

• Like 1

Masks might be recommended for everyone soon.

Dr Anthony Fauci said the White House is examining whether to recommend more widespread usage of face masks to mitigate the spread of coronavirus.

Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, said medical professionals should still have priority in receiving face masks, considering they are on the front lines against the virus.

Officials previously warned Americans against hoarding masks as hospitals said they were running dangerously low on personal protective equipment.

But Fauci said there could potentially be some benefit to more widespread usage of the masks if the country can get a sufficient supply of them.

“Once we get in a situation where we have enough masks, I believe there will be some very serious consideration about more broadening this recommendation of using masks,” Fauci told CNN earlier today. “We’re not there yet, but I think we’re close to coming to some determination.”

Edited by Zed Head

Edited below -
My point was that you only need one gun and a small amount of ammo to protect your home.  Just like you only need a week or two's worth of TP.  
And what you do with it will be in the privacy of your own home.  The rest of us won't see it.  The details don't matter.
Just like the empty TP shelves, the long lines at the gun store just seem pointless.  But it makes people feel secure, so carry on with it.
Any more words on this topic are pointless too.  People have their beliefs.
Edit - I do have to say though, that there is no way I will ever take a job in Emerald Isle, NC.  Way too dangerous down there.  Sounds like the place is over-run with crime.  Is all of NC like that?  I lived in Hattiesburg, MS for a few years and never felt threatened.
Edit 3 - removed Edit 2.  Bogus crime stats.  Anyway, fear can be debilitating.  I'd be more afraid owning a gun than I am now, without one.  It would be an unnecessary danger, no matter how well-trained I was.  I'll take my chances.  I can still run pretty fast.

I live in one of the safest places in the US. Never heard of a homicide in my city. This doesn’t mean I should lay back and take no precautions. My handgun sits in a safe harming no one, it’s an inanimate object. I also have term life insurance I never plan on using but I have it because cost of not It having it is too high. Sure hoarding guns is stupid. I have only what I need. You forgot I work in one of the most dangerous cities in America. #2 in the below article. I drive between the airport and my apartment between 11pm and 3am. I’ve seen cops patrolling on foot with shotguns. It’s a dangerous city! I can’t can’t afford to be killed by some drug addict. I’m in neighborhood near St. Judes hospital. We had a lady robbed killed in her garage unloading groceries two years ago, .5 miles from my apartment.
We are all shaped by our life experiences. I will share a very personal story. I lived in Queens,NY when I was 11, it was 1981. I was kidnapped walking home from school. I was dragged into a car by my neck by a man. I was trapped in his car in the front seat. He went to take a turn on to a highway and released me momentarily at which point I jumped out of the passenger door at 40 mph and was severely injured. That event impacted my life forever.
I’ve watched a friend die on a roof top in Iraq hit by a sniper. My roommate never came home from a mission, shot down over the Tigris River and drown. I lost by best friend im 2012 in Afghanistan.
We had a company pilot shot on I-240 in Memphis 2 years ago. These things change who you are. The price of being unprepared are too high. Life isn’t always rainbows and butterflies. The combat stories are different but violent death close to you changes who you are forever.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox13memphis.com/top-stories/woman-identified-in-murder-on-mud-island-/643810449/%3foutputType=amp

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/fedex/107927-i-240-airways-shooting.html

We had one of our planes hijacked in 1995. Pilots were struck in head by a hammer inflight. They finally subdued the hijacker. These is real life events. So maybe I’m just screw up, by my past experiences. Most never face these things, and that’s the way it should be.

https://m.escapehere.com/destination/25-most-dangerous-cities-in-the-us-in-2019/

• Like 1

I haven't forgotten or overlooked anything AV8.  We just have different views on how to live our lives.  Good luck with yours.  I would move to a safer place if I wanted to be safer.  Guns make you slightly safer.  Moving can make you very much safer.  You can spend your time and money on a sniper tower modification to your home or you can spend it on finding a better place to raise your family.  Your kids won't be helped by your guns when they're at school or while you're gone on a work trip, even after this COVID-19 thing gets over.  You can't rationalize that away.

You choose a gun.  I choose location and avoiding danger.  You can't convince me and I can't convince you.  We're burning internet here...

I don’t live in an unsafe place. My kids and wife live in a safe city, doubt it’s less safe than yours. This point of the conversation was people wanting to own guns during this pandemic. I get that people might be worried that the police might not be able to help if we had a looting event. It won’t happen where I live most likely or where you live but not everyone has the option of moving especially now. Hopefully it doesn’t happen anywheres. It’s a viable alternative to people that own a store, or have property to protect. Nothing wrong with a shotgun to get someone to go to a different house or store. Having a stockpile of guns is something entirely different.

The captain of a Navy aircraft carrier sent an urgent memo asking for help to contain an outbreak on the ship.

Captain Brett Crozier, commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, asked that the ship be allowed to dock to let the 5,000 sailors on board quarantine.

“We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die,” Crozier wrote yesterday to Navy leaders, according to the Wall Street Journal. “If we do not act now, we are failing to properly take care of our most trusted asset—our sailors.”

Crozier warned the ship, which has already seen at least 70 cases of coronavirus, did not allow for the social distancing recommended by the CDC.

“With the exceptions of a handful of senior officer staterooms, none of the berthing onboard a warship is appropriate for quarantine or isolation,” Crozier wrote.

In response, the Navy said it is “moving quickly to take all necessary measures to ensure the health and safety of the crew of USS Theodore Roosevelt.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Exclusive-Captain-of-aircraft-carrier-with-15167883.php

Edited by Zed Head

Capt Brett Crozier is a close friend of mine. Super great and capable guy. We served in Japan together ( he’s a Navy F-18 driver) and on the USS Mt Whitney during Libya. I know him very very well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Pilgrim, I both agree and disagree with your post.  
The first comment I have is that you are expecting logic from the general population.  We have a profoundly illogical population that has been indoctrinated by everything from failed public schools, social media, Hollywood and the music entertainment business. Most people are truly ignorant.  Our role models are people like Eminem, Snoop Dog or The Kardashians.  Look a the majority of movies produced these day, they’re for ignorant people.  A minority percent are mentally enlightening or intellectually stimulating. It’s all blow stuff up, special effects and stupid jokes with a plot my Labrador could follow and it’s a reflection of society. People are incredibly ignorant.  From people not buying Corona Beer to the guy who drank fish tank cleaner because it has a type chloroquine in it and hydroxychlorquine is one of the drugs being used in the COViD cases. You are expecting people to have the same thought processes as you do, it’s not going to happen.    
Like anything you buy, it you buy during the rush you pay more.  Most quality guns can be sold very easily for about what you paid for them.  Buy a stainless Colt or Springfield 1911 and it will always be worth about what you paid for it.  Buy crappy stuff, it’s worth crap.  I sold my Sig last week for more than I paid for it.  I sold a Keltec KSG for a $100 profit two years ago.  You need to be a smart buying and  selling.   Not much different  than buying a Z.  
Finally, People want to protect themselves from a home invasion.  Remember logic and truth are not the same, something can be logical but not true.  Philosophy 101 from college.  It may be logical to own a gun to protect your family but the truth is, it’s statistically more dangerous to own in the untrained hands then the chances of a home invasion.  It’s the world we live in, I can’t control the masses, just what I do.  I own guns because it’s a hobby I enjoy,  I do tactical shooting, and very comfortable with guns, we have a zombie range near me and it’s really fun to run it.  When you carry a weapon for 7 months all day and night in a place like Iraq, they become part of you. I never went anywhere without it, ever.  Sleep, Eat, crap, fly, smoke cigars while armed all the time, never more that 3 feet away.  Most people aren’t that comfortable with guns and thus more dangerous that just not owning it. 

Beautifully said! Unfortunately the outcome of thoughtless action often includes negative results.