IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

There's a basic question around the surge in firearms sales that I don't understand.  People want them "for protection" and "for defense."

The question that's never answered is: defense or protection against WHAT?

In today's Denver Post, there was an article that gave me a chuckle.  The title was "What's Essential? In the US It's Pot, Golf and Guns." This is a clever title and also a reflection of a uniquely US situation. There is no other country where the assumption that the answer to any undefined problem is to arm yourself.

In that article, the Texas Attorney General was quoted: "If you have a breakdown of society, well then our first line to defend ourselves is ourselves, so I think having a weapon is very important for your personal safety."  He was defending their designation of gun shops as essential businesses.  But there is nothing specific about his comment other than an undefined "breakdown of society." 

Really? That's what it will take? I haven't heard any reports of society breaking down, nor any predictions it will happen, nor do the multiple news sources I tap every day indicate that events are moving in that direction.  Did I miss a breakdown that's scheduled for later this week?  (Dear diary, society is scheduled to break down late this week, made an appointment so as not to miss it.)

People are responding to a vague notion that "someone or something" will be coming for them. This makes no logical sense. We don't live in Zombieland, and there's no realistic prospect of that occurring, regardless of how many dystopian movies people have seen. 

This is herd mentality; action with no logic or coherent thought.

There is something uniquely American about the response to an imaginary crisis being "buy more guns." As someone who began target shooting at age 12 and as an owner of firearms (all locked in a gun safe), I don't understand this impulse. If anything, I am more concerned about thousands of people buying firearms they don't know how to use and can't be trained with due to the lockdown conditions. Every one of those guns sitting in some untrained owner's sock drawer is an accident waiting to happen.

PS: Many firearms become good investments, but only if they're bought used at prices well below new retail. It takes years or decades for many firearms to appreciate above their purchase price. As long as you have 20 or more years to let them appreciate, you can come out ahead. In the short run, not so much.

Edited by Pilgrim

Cuomo's speaking right now.  Again, just for those who want to watch a rational plan in action.

He just coughed in to his hand, and put it on his mouth.  A hard habit to break..

Somehow, Jared Kushner is part of the ventilator discussion.  

Edited by Zed Head

45 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

There's a basic question around the surge in firearms sales that I don't understand.  People want them "for protection" and "for defense."

IMHO, Fear. They believe that owning a gun will relieve them of the fear that drove them to buy the gun. At what point does the gun start to own the owner. There are far better ways to address fear than buying a gun but that takes looking inside oneself to find where the fear is coming from and what can we do to stop it from controlling our actions. Fear is just an emotion that the crappy roommate in our heads (the one that never shuts up and you can't get rid of) uses to induce drama into our lives. "It" likes drama and no, "it" is not you.

• Like 1

Pilgrim, I both agree and disagree with your post.  
The first comment I have is that you are expecting logic from the general population.  We have a profoundly illogical population that has been indoctrinated by everything from failed public schools, social media, Hollywood and the music entertainment business. Most people are truly ignorant.  Our role models are people like Eminem, Snoop Dog or The Kardashians.  Look a the majority of movies produced these day, they’re for ignorant people.  A minority percent are mentally enlightening or intellectually stimulating. It’s all blow stuff up, special effects and stupid jokes with a plot my Labrador could follow and it’s a reflection of society. People are incredibly ignorant.  From people not buying Corona Beer to the guy who drank fish tank cleaner because it has a type chloroquine in it and hydroxychlorquine is one of the drugs being used in the COViD cases. You are expecting people to have the same thought processes as you do, it’s not going to happen.    
Like anything you buy, it you buy during the rush you pay more.  Most quality guns can be sold very easily for about what you paid for them.  Buy a stainless Colt or Springfield 1911 and it will always be worth about what you paid for it.  Buy crappy stuff, it’s worth crap.  I sold my Sig last week for more than I paid for it.  I sold a Keltec KSG for a $100 profit two years ago.  You need to be a smart buying and  selling.   Not much different  than buying a Z.  
Finally, People want to protect themselves from a home invasion.  Remember logic and truth are not the same, something can be logical but not true.  Philosophy 101 from college.  It may be logical to own a gun to protect your family but the truth is, it’s statistically more dangerous to own in the untrained hands then the chances of a home invasion.  It’s the world we live in, I can’t control the masses, just what I do.  I own guns because it’s a hobby I enjoy,  I do tactical shooting, and very comfortable with guns, we have a zombie range near me and it’s really fun to run it.  When you carry a weapon for 7 months all day and night in a place like Iraq, they become part of you. I never went anywhere without it, ever.  Sleep, Eat, crap, fly, smoke cigars while armed all the time, never more that 3 feet away.  Most people aren’t that comfortable with guns and thus more dangerous that just not owning it. 

1 hour ago, Pilgrim said:

In today's Denver Post, there was an article that gave me a chuckle.  The title was "What's Essential? In the US It's Pot, Golf and Guns." This is a clever title and also a reflection of a uniquely US situation. There is no other country where the assumption that the answer to any undefined problem is to arm yourself.

In that article, the Texas Attorney General was quoted: "If you have a breakdown of society, well then our first line to defend ourselves is ourselves, so I think having a weapon is very important for your personal safety."  He was defending their designation of gun shops as essential businesses.  But there is nothing specific about his comment other than an undefined "breakdown of society." 

Really? That's what it will take? I haven't heard any reports of society breaking down, nor any predictions it will happen, nor do the multiple news sources I tap every day indicate that events are moving in that direction.  Did I miss a breakdown that's scheduled for later this week?  (Dear diary, society is scheduled to break down late this week, made an appointment so as not to miss it.)

People are responding to a vague notion that "someone or something" will be coming for them. This makes no logical sense. We don't live in Zombieland, and there's no realistic prospect of that occurring, regardless of how many dystopian movies people have seen. 

This is herd mentality; action with no logic or coherent thought.

There is something uniquely American about the response to an imaginary crisis being "buy more guns." As someone who began target shooting at age 12 and as an owner of firearms (all locked in a gun safe), I don't understand this impulse. If anything, I am more concerned about thousands of people buying firearms they don't know how to use and can't be trained with due to the lockdown conditions. Every one of those guns sitting in some untrained owner's sock drawer is an accident waiting to happen.

PS: Many firearms become good investments, but only if they're bought used at prices well below new retail. It takes years or decades for many firearms to appreciate above their purchase price. As long as you have 20 or more years to let them appreciate, you can come out ahead. In the short run, not so much.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Cuomo's speaking right now.  Again, just for those who want to watch a rational plan in action.

He just coughed in to his hand, and put it on his mouth.  A hard habit to break..

Somehow, Jared Kushner is part of the ventilator discussion.  

He’s the most intelligent person I’m hearing on their pandemic.  He’s a real leader and I like his non-partisan view.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

He’s the most intelligent person I’m hearing on their pandemic.  He’s a real leader and I like his non-partisan view.  

For a real "leader" you sure don't see much of him.

Cuomo is talking now about how the 50 states are bidding against FEMA for ventilators.  FEMA is the Feds.  Kushner is behind the scenes at the Feds.  What is going on?  The ventilator prices are getting blown up because of the Feds.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/13/jared-kushner-combat-coronavirus-facebook-127941

Edited by Zed Head

This fear of home invasion seems significant.  Can't really understand it though.  It implies that the guns are never actually in a gun safe, that they are always at hand.  Under the pillow.  Sleeping with a shoulder holster.  Ready for the invader.

As far as buying guns for value, like gold, that implies that a person would then trade them for food or other supplies, in a crisis.  Why not just buy canned food, meant to be stored for months or years?  Seems like we're mixing the ability to shoot somebody with buying them for investment purposes.  Just being real.

People are free to do it though and it's their money and time.  It's really a very personal thing though.  It won't matter to anyone except the person whose home is invaded and the person doing the invading.  Inconsequential as far as the actual COVID-19 crisis though.  People at home with their guns?  Doesn't matter.  Buying extra guns and ammo is the same as buying extra toilet paper.  No offense, I just don't see any difference.

2 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

That's what I like about him.

We have a pretty good football coach down here and you won't see much of him either, he's busy coaching and counting Mercedes money. LOL

You can see his wins though.  We're not winning.  Kushner is not part of a winning team.  So far, he'll just be a curiosity in a failing effort, something to study after the fact.

Interesting though, that Saban is probably better known for lying to LSU.  No offense.  He is what he is.

Just now, Zed Head said:

You can see his wins though.  We're not winning.  Kushner is not part of a winning team.  So far, he'll just be a curiosity in a failing effort, something to study after the fact.

Interesting though, that Saban is probably better known for lying to LSU.  No offense.  He is what he is.

You're talking about Kushner?  I thought we were talking about Cuomo.  My bad.