IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

1 minute ago, Av8ferg said:

Think about your family’s security and being hunkered down big time. 

Hunkering down is only good for the short term.  You can't protect your family if the means of production shut down.  Unless you're a good hunter and live surrounded by wildlife, and have the means to hold off the people who want to steal it after you get it.

Birx touched on the loaded issue - this is a national emergency and needs national leadership and organization.  She touched it then backed away and tried to make it sound like the individual states could organize nationally.  She's implying that a coalition of states organize.  It's happened before and didn't end well.

What's going to happen when a load of ventilators go to Italy, and one or more of our states runs out?

Well, I’ve don’t think a Mad Max scenario is a possibility but a pause in services and isolated looting of violence is possible, especially is high population centers. This is why the stimulus package was critical to stabilizing the people and give faith in government. Once that disappears stuff can go sideways fast. Look at Katrina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People need to listen to the video.  It's very enlightening.

I actually have faith the governors will step up and make things happen.  Katrina was one governor of a very poor state.  This is at least three, four or more governors of pretty important states, economy-wise.  NY, CA, WA, NJ, MI, OH, etc.   The threat of a coalition would be enough I think.  The people behind Trump will know that.

I was just reading about the governor of Montana saying he was having trouble getting testing supplies.  Trump said that he had not heard of any problems.  So, there are more governors who will be speaking up soon.  The President should be aware of every state and territories' needs.

Edited by Zed Head

About the vaccine comment above - all the evidence says there's none coming this year. If we get a bit lucky, we'll have one early in 2021. Every report I've heard says this year is simply faster than can be achieved.

IMO the best bets for this year are (1) distancing consistently enough to take the peak off the curve, and (2) just maybe an existing drug will be found that has a secondary use, providing some ability to counteract its worst effects. Note that #2 is more wish than probability.

Right now the Denver CBS station is interviewing an E.R. doctor, and he says that he simply expects all the E.R. personnel to get the corona virus eventually. He sees it as something that's pretty much inevitable. Direct quote: "We see a lot of death in emergency medicine, we're kind of used to it, but I don't think any of us are prepared for what were going to see in the next 10-20 months."

Edited by Pilgrim

Feels like this should be in the humor thread.  But this guy was just on stage next to the President, talking at the COVID-19 briefing.

Nobody can deny how weird this is.  He's the MyPillow guy!  Next will be the OxiClean guy.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/30/trump-nudging-mypillow-lindell-run-office-156195

Background checks mean new people getting guns.

"In recent weeks, firearm sales have skyrocketed. Background checks the key barometer of gun sales already were at record numbers in January and February, likely fueled by a presidential election year. Since the coronavirus outbreak, gun shops have reported long lines and runs on firearms and ammunition.

Background checks were up 300% on March 16, compared with the same date a year ago, according to federal data shared with the NSSF, which represents gunmakers. Since Feb. 23, each day has seen roughly double the volume over 2019, according to Mark Oliva, spokesman for the group."

My mistake.  I was assuming that the backgrounds stayed "clean".  Of course, you can start clean then get dirty.

Weird that they know how many were completed but don't say how many passed.

Anyway, kind of off-topic.  I don't really see the connection with a pandemic.  People should be setting their guns aside.

My mistake.  I was assuming that the backgrounds stayed "clean".  Of course, you can start clean then get dirty.
Anyway, kind of off-topic.  I don't really see the connection with a pandemic.  People should be setting their guns aside.

So the Federal background check has to happen for each weapon each time a purchase is made. The weapons serial number is placed on the form and act as a tracking mechanism if the weapon is found at a crime. My father had a 9mm stolen from his San Antonio hotel room in 1995. In 2014 he received a call from a police department in NC stating the handgun was used during a home invasion. They tracked the gun back to original owner (him) when the Background check was accomplished. They ending up sending my Dad his gun back and I own it now.
So here is the connection to Covid-19. Guns and ammo have intrinsic value. They’re value really doesn’t go down. I sold a pistol last week. He paid me $540 cash for a weapon I bought in 2007 and shot many times. I made money on the sale. They retain value and are easily sold for $$ or other resources. Try that with a blender or almost other consumer products. 2 - people watch too many movie and think they’ll be Rambo but seriously people see them as a way to protect their family if Law And Order brakes down. My father used to tell as a young boy, “99.999% of the time you will never need a gun, but the .001% of the time you do, you really need it and it will could be the difference between life and death”. Not sure if there is any truth to that but he was a 2 tour Vietnam Marine and looked at the world different than most and had a clear case of PTSD. Guns are insurance in an insure world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

All perspectives are different:

I grew up with guns but was never interested in them. My dad was a moose and deer hunter and had a few .303's.  My brother and I shared a .22 since age 8 & 7 and would go target shooting every now and then, but it was nothing special. 

Where I live,  you can leave the keys in the car and the doors unlocked so no one thinks much about guns for protection.

But can you leave the sheep in the barn alone?  Sorry had to go there.  I agree, America is a vast place, it’s not Compton where most of us live except Captain Obvious.  Philly is the place of brotherly love until there is no TP!

8 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

All perspectives are different:

I grew up with guns but was never interested in them. My dad was a moose and deer hunter and had a few .303's.  My brother and I shared a .22 since age 8 & 7 and would go target shooting every now and then, but it was nothing special. 

Where I live,  you can leave the keys in the car and the doors unlocked so no one thinks much about guns for protection.