IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

41 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

You like the UK's herd-thinning approach? 

Funny, hadn't thought of that term.  Actually, I like it from the standpoint that its' intention is to build up a societies anti-bodies naturally.  The science is that there may be a larger percentage of deaths in the short term, but in the long term there will be an overall greater society resistance due to the extensive exposure and fewer death in the long run.  (percent is appropriate in this case as the population sizes are very different between the US and UK).  Honestly, I don' think you can escape it.  Between Costco, Ralphs, family, etc....we are just too connected as a people.

41 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Maybe COVID-19 is actually a government (world government) plan to reduce the burden on society of an aging population.

Yes, this has crossed my mind as well, fabricated by some Gen-Xer  worried about not receiving social security as they get older.

Also thought it might be a ploy developed by the 1% at Davos to get the Fed Rate down to 0% so they can borrow Billions and charge 3% to the masses.  3% of billions is a lot of money.  (Just thought I would increase my use of percentages here ?)

OR.....don't get me started.

Edited by motorman7
  • Haha 2

The government here just made an announcement with the options we have to deal with the situation.

1. Do nothing and let the virus spread uncontrolled. Hospitals most probably won't have enough ic beds.

2. Restrict population movement and contact. The population gradually gets infected and builds up self immunity. Once two thirds of the population is infected the spread will reduce and become managable.

3. Lock down country and restrict movement through house arrest etc to stop spread.

The only realistic options are 1 & 2 with preference for option 2.

With option two most people with be infected within 3 to 4 months and build up an immunity to the virus. A slower spread will relieve the hospitals so they can cope with the severe cases.

That is the theory anyway.

I have 5 colleagues with it. One has light astma and he had a lot of trouble breathing. He is feeling better now, but he said it was a lot worse than any flu he has ever had. I don't know when he can start working. Won't be soon.

Another colleague said flu was a lot worse and didn't have too much trouble getting over it.

I think that the degradation of America's public education system over the years is largely to blame for many of the things that people are doing in response.  It's incredible.  What could they be thinking?  Guns, ammo, and toilet paper?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/us-sales-guns-ammunition-soar-amid-coronavirus-panic-buying

Edit - somehow this article here seems related... https://komonews.com/news/local/paraglider-falls-100-feet-off-poo-poo-point

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

Korea seems to have the most accurate stats.  ~ 0.7% death rate is not as bad as feared.  Not sure why Italy and Iran are higher.  Different strain of virus or more people with underlying ailments.

There are a few reasons.
1. The Koreans have done elaborate testing far more that the Italians. When you test more the death rate declines, because you are confirm cases in heathy population that would otherwise not be counted.
2. I lived in Italy for 3 years. The National hospital system isn’t that great. I had to bring my own sheets, towels and other items when my daughter was born in an Italian hospital. They’re way below what you’d accept if admitted.
3. Italians are highly social people. They kiss on sides of face for greetings and are heavy smokers too.
4. Koreans are rule followers much like the Japanese. The Italian ate everything but rule followers. Getting an Italian to do anything they don’t want is difficult. It’s a cultural thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1