IGNORED

Early vs. Late Series I 240Z's

Randalla

Hard to pin down exact change over dates. It seems to me that they like use up the stock on had like the vertical glass even after the changes had been made to the venting. Some side vent cars would then get the early glass until they ran out of stock and switch over to the horizontal glass. Just my opinion of course.

The inner hatch vinyl cover would not have the vented centers on them in the later side vented cars. The inner quarter covers would have speaker like holes in the c-pillar vent area as well as the back portion where the actual speaker is. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Randalla said:

240260280, very nice transformation after clean up. 7tooZ, I think given your VIN#, you may have a very early Series II car. I believe the series one cars ended somewhere around 21,000. The way it's equipped would seem to suggest that.

You are on target.  Per Carl Beck's site, there were approximately 20,500  cars produced into late January 1971 with the flow-thru ventilation exiting via the hatch vents.  Beginning in February with VIN 21,000 the flow-thru vent outlet was moved to the C-pillar / sail panel.  That was a hard change and as HS30-H stated, everything else was a matter of what parts were available to the assembly line.

I got this from @Richard McDonel just last week....

447269F1-E5D3-4349-85AF-C081B90242C4.jpeg

Both of us noted that vertical defrost / no vents was an oddball.   We assumed it had just been changed at some point but that logic sort of bothered me because I would have thought it would be the other way ...ie. the (more plentiful) horizontal defrost inserted to replace (broken?) glass in earlier car with a vented hatch.  Thanks for posting!

My 9/71 has vertical defrost lines . I thought there was a huge thread on this somewhere ? My car also had the e-88 head with the e-31 combustion chambers . My car has no pockets for seat belts . There’s lots of transition things in hose months . My car has pillar vents 

According to Nissan, some 18 new improvements were incorporated into the 1971 LATE MODELS - aka Series II - the second series of chassis serial numbers starting at HLS30 21001 and HS30 00501. All 18 of these improvements were made at the Model Change Over.

71IntroForward.jpg

71IntroP03.jpg

71IntroP04.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1